Author Topic: Carb questions  (Read 7545 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
on: October 19, 2012, 08:34:34 pm
Does anyone have any experience with jetting/tuning the BS29?  Could you possibly point me in the direction of some good reference material?

I regularly fluctuate my altitude from 0k to 10k, so I'm thinking this carb might be good for me.  Or perhaps someone could suggest an even better option.  I have a 2002 500 Bullet, which I've upgraded to 535 & free-flowing exhaust.  I understand the BS29 is standard on the Electra, and it is a CV carb, unlike my Mikcarb vm28.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 02:46:02 pm
For higher altitude my friends used smaller mains and needle on the first notch. They did push their 500s till 18000 feet with that set up. For city rides in India we use 125 to 130 mainjet and stock pilot and needle on the 3rd notch. I think the stock mainjet should be good for 10,000 ft alt.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:27:15 pm
So you stop on the side of the road and change jets?

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:30:44 pm
Usually when we do such big rides we take breaks. So yea jet change takes 5 to 10mins at maxx, that's something which gets included in our first smoke break (if we are going for such high altitudes). Otherwise.. most of our touring is done with bigger jets. But I think you should try out all possible options, atleast when it comes to jetting. Because I had a very hard time getting the jetting right in my BS29 and also the VM34.

-Sanket

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:18:22 am
You guys are hardcore.  I like it.  I know I'd be tempted to bring a second carb rather than change jets out on a mountain somewhere.  :)

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 06:58:18 am
The parts are dam cheap out here. So we take a lot of risk at times :P

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:35:08 pm
The parts are dam cheap out here. So we take a lot of risk at times :P

Yeah, labor too.  I remember reading on an Indian forum about engine rebuilds.  I was in shock after converting rupees to USD. 

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:20:55 pm
Alas, you generally get what you pay for.

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 06:42:09 pm
Yeah, labor too.  I remember reading on an Indian forum about engine rebuilds.  I was in shock after converting rupees to USD.

Yep! And that is applicable on every mech and tuner. I know a friend who got his AVL head tuned by the RnD head of Royal Enfield. He's a racer too and the job was done @ a very cheap price. That AVL 350 now eats AVL 500s for lunch and dinner.. no way mine can even go against that bike in a quarter mile drag. The "Value for money" is the thing here :)

-Sanket

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
No matter where you go, there, you are.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 07:02:15 am
 I like the CV Carbs.  The continuously variable venturi  provides good inlet velocity and cylinder fill at all throttle openings and very good fuel atomization.

They are much less affected by changes of season or changes in altitude tha regular fixed jet/ fixed venturi carbs.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 04:25:36 pm
Interesting article on porting the slide. Has anyone tried drilling themselves or ordering a slide already done? What was the resulting performance like?

Think I'll try it but need an extra slide before doing so..
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 04:36:20 pm
Ice: Sometimes its nice to just jump on the bike and ride vs having to adjust the carb settings..Seems like every spring and late Fall its time to play with mine..Wife's GV-250 has a CV carb and it works great....I pretty much stay at the same elevation but see the advantage of the CV carb...Funny how just atmospherics affect the standard carb..It does make each ride a bit different and you do get days when it seems to perform perfect...I would think the CV gives more of those than the latter..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 05:31:43 pm
Interesting article on porting the slide. Has anyone tried drilling themselves or ordering a slide already done? What was the resulting performance like?

Think I'll try it but need an extra slide before doing so..

Yep, I did it on BS29 and BS32 but again.. as mentioned by Anant in that article. Anything more than 1/8th of an inch will cause issues. It's a very good mod and adds a lot of crispy response to the bike.