Author Topic: Self Start N Clutch issue  (Read 5038 times)

ssg

• Bulleteer
on: October 18, 2012, 03:36:02 pm
Occasionally when   I press the Self Start button and it remains non responsive and sometimes no problem at all.When it is non responsive,if I press the clutch it cranks immediately.Why so?I have seen this in other bikes also.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:14:21 pm
Is the neutral lamp lit ?
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:50:18 pm
If your neutral light is on, and this happens seldom then your battery is on low charge. Get it checked !

ssg

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 05:30:25 pm
Thanks.
It happens in neutral when green light is on.My battery is brand new and fully charged.

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 06:13:57 pm
then get your starter solenoid checked....

busmec

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:20:14 pm
I don't think its a starter problem , because if you engage the  clutch the bike starts , I would think it would be a neutral lockout system problem. Because the clutch being engaged over rides neutral lockout system quit possibly be a relay.  Something to listen for is if the fuel pump runs when you first turn the key on, if it doesn't it could be a relay not working properly , but you have to be listing when bike doesn't start. Hope this helps a little.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:16 pm
Yes, there is a clutch lockout switch.  If the bike is not in neutral it should not let you e-start without the clutch in.  It also relies on the neutral light being on to tell if the bike is in neutral, though it's possible to be in neutral with the light still out.

There have not been many problems with the clutch switch but there have been a lot with the sidestand switch.  The bike will not start or run with the sidestand down.  And that switch gets wonky all the time.  Next time it doesn't start put the sidestand up or down a couple of times and see if it works after that.  If it does your sidestand switch is malfunctioning.

Scott

ssg

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 05:15:00 am
Where this Clutch lock switch is located?Thanks friends for helping me.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 05:57:05 am
The clutch switch is located under the clutch lever on the left handlebar.

When the clutch lever is pulled in this switch overrides the neutral switch to allow the starter to work even when the transmission is in gear.
This is handy when your stopped at an intersection and your engine dies.
As the 18 wheeler is bearing down on you, you can pull in the clutch, hit the starter button, release the clutch and be out of harms way as the truck roars over your previous location. :)

The sidestand switch is located under the sidestand.
Although it's a nice safety device that keeps you from riding off with the sidestand still down they have been known to cause misfires and engine shut offs.
It can be disconnected by undoing the electrical connector just behind the rear of the engine on the left side.  It's on a harness lead that runs up the rear downtube to the main harness.
By disconnecting this sidestand switch the bikes wiring will always think your sidestand is up, so it will run normally.
This can get you into trouble if you forget to raise the sidestand and ride over a bump though.  People have been thrown on their head when their sidestand suddenly bumped into an object and the bike highsided.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ssg

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 10:43:14 am
Beautifully explained.Much appreciated.I am always learning from this forum.Thanks. :)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 08:46:59 pm
My sidestand switch has a strange malfunction. If the bike is sitting on the sidestand, it will start. When I try to stand it up and the pressure goes off the stand, it quits. It works quite properly with no pressure on the stand.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com