Author Topic: Brake cable question  (Read 1183 times)

fxk142

• Scooter
on: October 17, 2012, 12:17:26 am
While riding my 1999 Bullet 500 the other day my front brake cable broke, which was scary, and made getting back home interesting.

I ordered a new premium brake cable from Nfield gear, making sure it was for a late 99' bike. When I took the old brake cable out and compared it to the new one it was longer then the new one. The old cable is about 48-49 inches long. The new one is about 6 inches or so shorter.

Will this new shorter brake cable work??

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:28:13 am
     What makes a cable work is the free play. This is the difference in length between the inner and outer cable. If the new cable has the same free play as the old it will work if it reaches without binding or pulling. Did the old one seem to have a large loop or arc? If the new one eliminates this loop, but is not pulled tight you should be OK.

fxk142

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:38:21 am
It seems to reach without binding Or pulling. I will measure the inner vs outter cable length.

fxk142

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 02:27:47 am
Ok the inner line extends about the same amount, 10" past the outter line of the brake cable.  Here is my problem, I have adjusted the link rod as stated in the RE manual, and I have taken the slack out of the lever, but when I let off the brake lever the brake levers on the brake hub are not fully rebounding, even with slack in the cable.  Why is this? How can I get them to fully rebound and prevent the brake shoes from making contacting the drum?

fxk142

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 02:17:37 pm
Anyone have any suggestions?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 02:30:47 pm
The shoes are probably out of center, or the springs are weak, or the actuating cams are rusty and don't move freely.
I would remove the front wheel, inspect and service all the internal brake parts, especially paying attention to the springs and cams. Ensure that the brake plate is properly centered when re-installing, and set your levers parallel.
When properly adjusted, the shoes will not drag the drum, but the slightest movement of the levers will cause the shoes to touch the drum.

You should have about 1/4" free play in the cable when the brake is released. You can feel this at your control lever on the handlebar.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:46:15 pm
When you get the cable properly adjusted, and if it still is sticking, you need to take the brake apart and clean and grease the proper bits. A very light coating on the cam, cam pivot pin and the shoe pivot pin. Do not over grease as it can redistriblute itself onto the brake linings.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com