Author Topic: HI PERFORMNCE CONICAL AIR FILTER  (Read 1532 times)

loftusraider

• Scooter
on: October 11, 2012, 01:10:19 am
has anyone fitted one of these, and did you notice a significant difference in performance ?
thanks
Mam "the grass isn't always greener over the hill"
me "how do you know if you don't go and have a look"

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:34:01 am
You will notice some improvement, but you will probably want to add a silencer with a more "free flowing" design. Either way you will absolutely want need to re-jet your carburettor.  8) check these posts for further advice on the subject. Ace's posts give the best guidance on this.
REgards.
Robert
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 02:04:31 pm
We are assuming you mean the K&N filter, or similar style.

They can work fine, and as RB Hoge says, it is best used in combination with a free flow exhaust system, and a re-jetted carb.

Sometimes these short pod filters can introduce a little bit of a "hiccup" in the throttle response at small throttle openings, but other times they don't cause that, and work fine.

The main issue with these pod filters is that they don't have any support, and it causes the entire carb and filter to hang unsupported by the rubber manifold hose. This usually results in a failure of that rubber manifold hose in a fairly short period of time. Making a support bracket for the filter will help.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:42:54 am
There are many posts on here about this install.
If you go to the gallery and look up singles' ride,I have a picture or 2 of mineI used a big cone which I shortened at the small end and set in fibreglass resin to make a new end and have a bolt in that to a bracket which is frame mounted.
I used the big size to avoid the hiccup.