Author Topic: not staying in gear  (Read 2933 times)

bwalls

on: May 23, 2008, 12:07:23 am
i have been messing with this gearbox for longer than i care to admit. here are the statistics and symptoms. 2002 military 4 speed with right shift conversion. first gear, no problem. will shift through all the gears if i am very careful with my footwork. if i shift as if i were riding a normal bike, it will shift right past 2nd (or 3rd,4th) and into neutral. it is the same when i down shift. by the time i get into 4th gear the neutral finder is pointing at 4th but as i down shift, it (the neutral finder) does not follow. it stays at 4th. i'm stumped and have no one in my area that will work on the bike (i've looked extensively). any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:46:03 am
1.  If the  detent plunger is faulty but the ratchet mechanism is taking the bellcrank to the correct position on gear changes, u will experience proper changes from one gear to the  next (once u found the right gear) but if it won't stay in gear for long "Pops out"
as u hit the throttle...This is obvious case of detente plunger failing to hold the bellcrank in position indicating a need for plunger adjustment

2. Faulty shifter plate adjustment...The position of the shifter plate determines whether or not the shifter ratchet returns to center, so that changes in either direction equally engage the teeth to impart movement...If the ratchet is not providing enough movement in the upshift direction there will be consistent trouble upshifting and it will stop in false neutrals...this is due to the ratchet not returning to proper center and can be remmedied by rotating the adjuster plate counter clockwise....if the opposite was happening "downshifting" between gears and hitting false neutrals then u would adjust the adjuster plate the opposite direction/clockwise...in both cases a change in direction of the adjuster plate will cure this situation////Apparently , the ratchet must be returning to center for proper operation upshifting and downshifting..

this info in snidal service manual page 140/141 re. the 4 speed gearbox....thought i let ya know that a i didn;t want to come off as professor Ardvark...cheers
Oh Magoo you done it again

bwalls

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 01:31:47 am
i don't have the snidal manual. once i'm in gear it doesn't pop out so, i'm assuming it's not the detent pluger.  i'm having false neutrals in both directions. i believe it's not the adjuster plate. any suggestions?

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 04:29:06 pm
Did u do the right shift conversion?? Book mentions that if u are converting a lefty to a righty they also recommend replacing the gear lube with  90 wt gear oil .  .of course some changes are required in order to do that  and not saying that is the problem but am curious to know if u did any of that in the conversion process...After reading note again and your response, understand that it happening up and down....cheers

bwalls

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:02:26 pm
yes the conversion is done. it was basically a matter of removing extra linkages not needed to shift from the right side. i am using 90 wt. gear oil for now until i get this problem taken care of. the "oo" grease that is supposed to go in the gear box is expensive and just in case it needs to be opened up again i don't want to have to buy it again. i'm out of ideas short of removing the gearbox and sending it to a dealer to have them service it.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:11:03 pm
Did the bike come with the right shift modification or did u do the conversion from left to right..I am assumimg since u are using gear oil vice lube that u replaced the outer mainshaft bearing with a sealed unit...also they say that the original ratchet is retained as is the neutral finder but not the pointer...actually the right shift was the normal set up on the bike and the left shift is abnormal but was required for sale in the states as they didn't want people hitting the rear brake vice the gear shift  (not that u know that)...anyway, their is a factory kit that u would have used and the book in front of me has "hot tips" on the setup procedure....Just was wondering since u don't have the book that u brought the bike with the conversion in place or u a better mechanic than I am...Either way, did the right shift work correcklly ever or has it given u problems since purchasing or after you did the conversion (Just curious)????Maybe its time to get the book as it makes for interesting read.....