Author Topic: Photo Size Limit?  (Read 2645 times)

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
on: October 14, 2012, 05:39:58 am
I'm going to make a small request...

This evening, as I read the new posts, I was confronted by an attached JPEG photo, described as follows: "3092.94 kB, 4320x3240."

Really??  Was it really so important to show off your [*insert name of minor mechanical malady here*] that you had to attach a three megabyte photograph, measuring over four thousand pixels by over three thousand, to your post? That, in laptop screen terms, is a friggin' billboard.

Folks, please...  Have some consideration for people who A.) read the forums on small screens, and B.) suffer along with whatever sketchy internet access as we can find in hotels and jobsites around the world.  If you can't resize your photos down to 800x600 and a reduced bit depth, for the sake of the bandwidth-challenged, maybe you should be reconsidering posting photos at all.

Kevin: Is it possible to set up a maximum size limit on attachments, or would that be technically unworkable?

Thanks,
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:02:04 pm
I may be guilty of this.  I am going to resize from now on.  When I first uploaded some I assumed it would resize them appropriately.  Many forums do.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:19:19 pm
I think there is already a limit on the size the forum will take.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:30:35 pm
Maybe everyone already knows this but in addition to reducing the photos size, reducing the "dpi" won't hurt the image if it's just going to be seen on a computer screen.
The "dpi" can be as low as 75 before things start degrading and by reducing both the image size and the dip value multi-meg pictures can be brought down to less than 100 Kb.

When I do this I rename the  picture so it doesn't re-write it over my big file and its easy to find when I want to show it in a post/topic.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary