• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
on: February 07, 2013, 11:30:55 pm

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:50:12 pm
It's cool but....

Icon is local to me and I've seen some of their bikes up close.  They're cool looking but usually seem to be meant more for a photo shoot than functionality.  On this bike: Why would you weld on crash loops to protect the motor but run the exhaust down low and exposed?  And with what looks like minimal support.

That said, if you gave me the keys I wouldn't hand them back right away :)  I like Urals and have ridden in and driven them.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:30:57 am by Ducati Scotty »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:18:21 am
This is a great bike looking bike. Wonderful video as well. However stock Urals with sidecars are not my thing......
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:06:36 pm
I think it looks great..Never rode a ural  ..I would think they have more of a tractor feel than even my iron enfield (but with more hp and weight)..I didn't see a price tag associated with it....I wouldn't turn down a chance to take it out for a spin on some back dirt roads...It looks like a fun ride..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:53:58 pm
They're built like tractors, they look like tractors, they drive like tractors.  It's what you'd expect of a cold war era communist copy of a BMW.  And it's awesome!  They are really fun.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:29:06 pm
Tough looking bike with great charisma. But, ...
location of exhaust pipes baffles me. Seems to conflict with intended purpose.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 11:21:34 pm
You know the fact that they are built like tractors is maybe what I like about those things....kind of reminds me of the first motorcycle I ever had. A BSA 441 cc Victor. It was a rough old thing, but once you got it going it would pull a plow....but the electrics...Oh those damned Lucas electrics...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 11:33:09 pm
The seat looks like it would be good for about 3 blocks. Long distance off road capability looks a bit sketchy.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:57:48 pm
It's designed that way.  When your butt hurts it's time to circle back and look for where the mufflers fell off.

Scott

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:39:35 am
I loved my 1994 Ural 650 tourist combination. I owned it for about 5 years while I lived in New Mexico. I could get several weeks groceries aboard on my foraging rides to town. When I moved to the mountains in Jasper Ga. I found it unsatisfactory on the roller coaster roads. Logging trucks comming at you hogging the road-yikes, hard to modify ones line when commited. Ride to slow,someone may run over you.
  Ural is a tough purpose built sidecar tug, & extremely good at what it does. I really miss mine, but may get another someday. See PIX
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 05:20:05 am
I loved my 1994 Ural 650 tourist combination. I owned it for about 5 years while I lived in New Mexico. I could get several weeks groceries aboard on my foraging rides to town. When I moved to the mountains in Jasper Ga. I found it unsatisfactory on the roller coaster roads. Logging trucks comming at you hogging the road-yikes, hard to modify ones line when commited. Ride to slow,someone may run over you.
  Ural is a tough purpose built sidecar tug, & extremely good at what it does. I really miss mine, but may get another someday. See PIX

I like the pillion pad on the sidecar fender.  I used to have a Dnepr MT-16 myself.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 05:32:33 am
Here's my plaqued with problems 95 Patrol.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 05:44:41 pm
It's designed that way.  When your butt hurts it's time to circle back and look for where the mufflers fell off.

Scott
+1
 ;D

Royal Enfield and Ural have a lot in common. Both companies are under new management and very keen in improving the product. Both come with an international wide full 2 year warranty. Especially the support of Ural is widely acclaimed. Talking about going the extra mile.
One is allowed to visit the factory and collect personally the new steed. An excursion that has become popular with our eastern neighbours.

Just as Ducati has provided assistance to RE the new Urals are built with parts made by renowned partners, not to mention the close link with an Austrian motorcycle.

http://www.ural.cc/index.php?en_index has all one needs to know, in english.

Although my heart melts at the sight of an Ural two things still hold me back: excessive fuel consumption and no more lane splitting. I must stay clear from them lest the heart overpowers the brain.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 07:52:33 pm
THATS LOVELY-I LOVE GREEN. That is the very URAL I wanted when I built mine from left overs.  I wish I were in a position to persuade you to sell it to me. The trouble with being Retired is you can only have a limited number of toys. I was able to bullet-proof my Ural so it always brought me home. only cash-flow keeps me from owning one NOW.

Here's my plaqued with problems 95 Patrol.

Best Wishes, Craig McClure