Author Topic: Blue Ridge Parkway  (Read 3033 times)

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
on: October 13, 2012, 09:46:31 am
Went for a short jaunt on the Parkway this evening. Colors are starting to show. Leaves blowing across the road and swirling around behind the ol' Bullet. Temperatures dropped rapidly as sunset approached. I stopped at an overlook and a couple of Beemer guys on GSs were telling me it was down to 50F. All sorts of high-tech gizmos on their bars. GPS, cell phones, video camera, dilithium crystal warp drives, etc. A little further down the road I had to stop for a herd of whitetail deer meandering across the road. No fear of the putt-putt-putt Enfield but took to flight as a Harley could be heard from two curves away. I must have seen close to 20 bikes in as many miles. I guess everyone is trying to get in as many rides before winter sets in. Living only a stones throw from the BRP, I often forget just how beautiful it is around here. It took a short ride and a little chat with out-of-towners to remind me. Too often I ride and analyze every squeek, creak, and groan from the RE instead of just soaking in the ride. I hope you all get a few more good rides in before the snow flies.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:16:51 pm
If there are no pics it didn't happen!!!  >:(

dilithium crystal warp drives
:D ;D :D
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 10:13:29 pm
Ridgerunner: Just a bit north of you. skyline drive..Took a ride to the bottom of the mountain just before the access point (Sperryville) and decided not to go, as the peak is still eight/ten days away (per the locals)..No problem waiting as I prefer to  get my money worth and enjoy the colors at their finest...Won' t be maybe 6 more weeks before we pull the battery and run the gas out of the carbs for the Winter storage..I'll keep my wife's gv 250 plugged in for those balmy Winter days between noon and three...Cheers.
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:58:08 pm
No problem waiting as I prefer to  get my money worth and enjoy the colors at their finest...

What's the matter with going twice? Gas prices ain't gonna kill you on an Enfield! When I ride the Bullet, I feel like I'm paying $2.00.gas for gas. We try to get out every week to some mountain range or another. And we don't even get the leaves changing around. Fall colors green, winter colors, still green, or down below, winter and spring, green, summer and fall, brown.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 01:08:48 am
Nah, it was the 15 bucks I didn't wanted to pay to get on it..Just being cheap and only live 30 minutes away with plenty of time to wait..
Oh Magoo you done it again

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 03:43:37 am
I often ride through November when possible. Unfortunately I have been moved to 3rd shift which puts me riding in the dark both to and from work. Some of the curves in the mountains don't see daylight at all come this time of year. It gets a little hairy when you think the clutch just slipped and then realize it was the black ice you spun the tire on.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:37:57 am
To you guys who live near the BRP:  I need to cross the mountains west to east in 4 weeks. Will it be worth taking an excursion on the parkway then ?  When does it close?
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 11:12:36 am
It's ALWAYS worth the excursion, and it doesn't close unless it snows...or burns...or ices over...but sometimes seems to be closed when loaded with RVs doing 5mph, but none the less worth the ride.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:52:28 pm
Nah, it was the 15 bucks I didn't wanted to pay to get on it..

Yeah, I guess I forget about all those toll roads and bridges out in that part of the world. They are still pretty scarce around here. None I ever have to use.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:32:39 am
Only the end of the BRP (Skyline Drive) has a fee. From there to Georgia is free and worth the trip.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)