Author Topic: Is this right?  (Read 2833 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
on: October 13, 2012, 07:23:03 am
I bought a new barrel and piston for my 2002 bullet 500.  Alloy barrel, forged piston, 535cc.  Anyway, I finally got the head all cleaned up and threw on the composite gasket I bought... and the forward pushrod channel doesn't line up.  The head seems to match the gasket.  This bothers me immensely, but perhaps it's not as big a deal as I think?

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:18:02 pm
I believe that gasket goes between the crankcase and barrel.
the copper gasket goes between the barrel and head.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 01:43:30 pm
You should put the head on just for a mock-up and make sure that the pushrods can get on the rockers correctly, without rubbing the barrel.

It is quite common to see some misalignment on these pushrod holes in the barrel. I see it all the time. Yours is more severe than most.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 09:04:46 pm
I believe that gasket goes between the crankcase and barrel.
the copper gasket goes between the barrel and head.
No, that is the composite head gasket from enfieldgear.  The barrel gasket is a little different.  And anyway, as you can see in the pic the head lines up with the gasket perfectly.  It is the top of the cyl that doesnt line up with the head.  I mean, everything lines up but that one hole.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 09:07:47 pm
You should put the head on just for a mock-up and make sure that the pushrods can get on the rockers correctly, without rubbing the barrel.

It is quite common to see some misalignment on these pushrod holes in the barrel. I see it all the time. Yours is more severe than most.

The pushrods don't seem to hit the wall so I guess it might be okay.  But I discovered my pushrods are too short now.  :(

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 10:55:26 pm
Looks like your barrel is way off can you return it?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 11:43:32 pm
Looks like your barrel is way off can you return it?  ERC

Maybe.  It's one of those "rigorously inspected" alloy barrels from Hitchcock's.  I'm considering just sticking it in a drill press and elongating that hole...

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 05:36:33 am
Maybe.  It's one of those "rigorously inspected" alloy barrels from Hitchcock's.  I'm considering just sticking it in a drill press and elongating that hole...

I'm pretty sure H-cock will stand by it whatever the issue. send them a pic and see what they say...
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 07:58:50 pm
Good idea.  Will try that.  Have to wait for longer pushrods anyways...

Edit:
Heard back from Hitchcock's today.  They said they don't check the alignment of those holes because it's usually not an issue, but after seeing my pics they checked over their stock and found some more that are pretty bad.  They offered an exchange or partial refund.  I'll take the refund and take care of it myself... don't feel like waiting for all the shipping back and forth.

Oh and the pushrod just barely clears that wall.  It will definitely scrape against it while running.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:57:20 pm by LarsBloodbeard »