Author Topic: Headlight & all right side lights gone...  (Read 1193 times)

ZoomZoom

• Scooter
on: October 12, 2012, 04:51:39 pm
I just recently lost my headlight and all the lights on the right hand side of the bike including front and rear turn-signals and the little running light beside the headlight...  I have checked all bulbs (except the headlight) and they are all good.  Is there something I'm missing here?  Is there something obvious that would cause all these to go out at once?  What should I be looking for in trying to chase down this wiring gremlin?

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:26:41 pm
Since it seems to be occurring in the headlight plus the right side, I'd guess you might have a burned out flasher unit. You can replace for ~$10 at any auto parts store.

Or, it could be a loose connection in the headlight harness or somewhere in the middle that just needs to be plugged in again.

It's tempting to think it could be a fuse, but as far as I know none of the fused circuits are dedicated to a particular side.

What the bike's history? Are you the original owner? If not, do you know whether the previous owner(s) meddled with the electrics?

Have you tried putting in new bulbs, anyway, just to see if they work?

There are wiring diagrams in the owner's manual as well as in Snidal that can help you troubleshoot.

ZoomZoom

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:02:44 pm
I'm the second owner, but I know the original owner did little or nothing to the bike before I bought it.

Both the front and rear left-hand turn signals work fine and blink; could it still be a flasher unit problem?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:22:39 pm
Not likely.

The flasher is a single unit that serves both sides of the turn signals
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 05:47:59 am
ground wire maybe unpluged in the nacelle...   check the bullet connectors behind the headlamp. Grounds are blk
w/white  stripe I think.
           - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill