Author Topic: Valve guide seals  (Read 2584 times)

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 22, 2008, 05:41:07 pm
I have a head that has the Kibblewhite valves and guides in it. It also has valve guide seals on both the intake and exhaust guides.
I have always been under the impression that on air cooled motors you don't put seals on the exhaust guides.
Any Pros and Cons here?
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:57:27 pm
All my stuff has done well without them, all air cooled.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 09:27:56 pm
Mine has too.
The only valve guide problem I ever had was an exhaust valve guide with a seal on it on my old shovel.
Gunk burned around the valve stem and the valve quit going up and down.
A few months back I bought a unused stage 1 head off ebay and it has seals on it and I've been tossing the idea around to take the exhaust one off.
I've been running the Kibblewhite valves and guides wo the seals for about 5 yrs now and haven't seen any need for em.
I kinda like the idea of rolling off the throttle and sucking a bit of oil down the guides every now and then.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:39:29 pm
I think that with an exhaust guide that oil or exhaust would be blown up the guide given the pressure in the exhaust port, although I have not thought that through very well.
We quit putting seals on the valves of the Stage 1 and 2 heads quite a while ago. We did this because the Kibblewhite guides are longer and the seals had a tendancy to get crushed. In recent years the factory has put seals on its vavle stems although they went years without them.
 In my opinion you don't need them. I have looked at 10 years of warranty claims and it is just not an issue.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com