Author Topic: Random Thought On Asthetics Of UCE Engine  (Read 4019 times)

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 10, 2012, 03:22:19 am
Don't own one yet, but I've been studying them and was just wondering about the rubber fin deadeners and how they detract from the otherwise clean presentation of the engine. Anyone ever remove them? And was there any "appreciable" ringing or any other clatter/noises noticable?  I'm thinking by yesteryear standards the noise was what it was...not even a thought....but today with a miniscule squeek from anywhere on a new vehicle it would be a deal breaker ::)....Any thoughts?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 04:20:26 am
Lots of us have removed them.  No noticeable ringing reported yet :)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:10 am
Wish I hadn't removed mine  ......   That *tink* *tink* *tink* noise is appreciably louder without them.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:57 pm
it's easy to put them back on.
a little windex and they slide back on.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:04:24 pm
Yeah, I know the tink, tink, tink noise. Just lets me know it's still alive. I'm not trying to impress the EPA.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:10:01 pm
Ok, I stand corrected.  There's at least one complaint ;)

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:20:25 pm
It's too bad RE did'nt use a different method, like the old Bonnevilles from the 70's. I liked the round rubber "plugs" that were pressed through holes drilled in the fins, they were'nt as obvious.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 11:18:23 pm
Maybe it's because I have a high frequency hearing loss but I never noticed a difference when I removed the rubber strips on my G5.
I hear no, "*tink* *tink* *tink*" sound with the rubber strips removed.

Even if I did, I would not put them back on.
IMO, they look crummy and they cover over 18 square inches of fin area that should be cooling the engine. (When you live in Phoenix where the summer temperatures can be over 115* F (46*C), cool is good.)

Before removing mine, I noted that the cooling fins on the cylinder head are not standing totally unsupported.
There are 8 cast vertical webs that tie the fins together which seems to keep them from ringing.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Fogrunner

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 11:48:15 pm
Jeeze, I kind of like them, that's why I left them on. Surely I can't be the only one?? As for restricting air flow for cooling, I've not had any issues, and it's usually always mid 30's C in the Philippines.
Phil
2012 G5 Classic

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 02:27:41 am
The high pitch tink tink is more noticeable when idling or "lugging" the engine. It's also more noticeable by younger ears.

If your older or never thump around trying to impress girls by doing 5 mph in top gear you probably will not notice a huge difference.

Note if you DO like them it may not hurt to remove them and put them back on again with a stronger glue. They tend to fall off over time.

Tri750

• Big Al
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 03:20:28 am
How about a pet peeve? The bar code sticker has to go. So many pictures of polished side cases, extra chrome, lots of detail and hard work to make ones bike look even better, with or without the rubber things and that blasted bar code sticker still lives! Even when the black lines have been smeared by solvents or gas spills, the sticker still remains. Please remove and I'll be able to sleep in peace.
Current bikes:
'71 BMW R75/5 racer
'73 Kaw Z1 racer
'77 Tri 750 Bonneville
'99 BMW R1100RT

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 07:17:30 am
The high pitch tink tink is more noticeable when idling or "lugging" the engine. It's also more noticeable by younger ears.

If your older or never thump around trying to impress girls by doing 5 mph in top gear you probably will not notice a huge difference.

Note if you DO like them it may not hurt to remove them and put them back on again with a stronger glue. They tend to fall off over time.

If that is REALLY what this "tink tink tink" noise actually IS, then it's pinging.
"Tink tink tink" when lugging is ping.
Ping is best avoided.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 08:35:19 am
My uce will ping if I lug it- so I don't.  It is a very distinct metallic clap sound that only happens when you open the throttle when lugging. Letting off the throttle the sound goes away. Just driving in the normal rev range- I.e. correct gear it isn't an issue.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 01:40:43 pm
My UCE gives the *tink* *tink* *tink* noise at freeway speeds under light load.  It only becomes bothersome at equilibrium (not accel, not decel, smooth & level with minimal headwind -or- a moderate tailwind).
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 08:09:11 pm
How about a pet peeve? The bar code sticker has to go. So many pictures of polished side cases, extra chrome, lots of detail and hard work to make ones bike look even better, with or without the rubber things and that blasted bar code sticker still lives! Even when the black lines have been smeared by solvents or gas spills, the sticker still remains. Please remove and I'll be able to sleep in peace.

You're quite the rebel, I'll bet you tore off your mattress tags too!
(My 'bar code' and goofy rubber blocks all "fell off" too!) No additional noise from the engine, but then again, I never 'lug' the engine....
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850