Author Topic: EFI Silencer Question  (Read 3221 times)

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
  • Commute Time is Not the Worst Time of Day
on: October 10, 2012, 12:32:20 am
Well, it's a long story that I won't detail, but the short version is that the original muffler on my B5 had a cracked weld, so when it was in the shop for other warranty work they replaced it with the EFI silencer.

I rode it to work 5 times after I got it back, about 350 miles, but Friday morning on the way in the new muffler fell off. The service manager thinks that it's somehow my fault, because he doesn't see how two bolts on the hangers plus the clamp could have all come off without my noticing before the final failure.

I agree that it's bizarre, but regardless, if it had been properly secured this wouldn't have happened.

The question I have is whether the EFI muffler actually uses both mounting points, or if it has only one hanger. Do any of you with that muffler know? Not that it matters, but it could explain how it happened so easily.
Chinese food beats hopes and dreams any day.

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:44:28 am
If they put it on, and then it fell off, it is (IMHO) their fault. Especially so if they didn't tell you to check their work after a day or so. Mine is still okay several hundred miles after I put it on and has not needed tightening.

The EFI has one hanger, which has a bolt at the bottom (on the silencer) and another at the top (connected to the bike). It also has a clamp which clamps it to the engine pipe.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:48:59 am
Definitely the shop's fault. The thing shouldn't fall off after two days no matter who put it on. Someone forgot to tighten the bolts and clamp down. Shouldn't be your job. Maybe they are trying to sign you up for their QA/Inspector's team.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:09 am
Thanks, guys. I only remembered one bolt, but I didn't think to take a photo and didn't know for sure.

Still a pain. The shop's an hour away. Be super late to work? Maybe I can get it fixed Saturday.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:55:32 am
The service manager thinks that it's somehow my fault, because he doesn't see how two bolts on the hangers plus the clamp could have all come off without my noticing before the final failure.

Maybe they were never all there in the first place.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 11:12:55 am
The service manager thinks that it's somehow my fault,

Time to talk to the dealership's owner.   Being crusty is one thing, being an @hole is something else completely.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:15:21 pm
Yeah, if you pay someone to install something and it falls off, that's on them.  Especially if they didn't tell you to bring it in for a check or tighten it yourself.

Scott

Alan LaRue

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 12:29:39 am
Turns out the weld broke and the end of the muffler fell off. The clamped part was still there. Got there too late to get it fixed today so I'll head over there Saturday morning. At least he believes me now!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:45 am
Glad it worked out that way.  I'm sure they'll warranty it and get you going again.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 04:48:59 am
I'm beginning to like my Harley Sportster muffler better each time I hear another episode.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 01:51:23 pm
I have an extra Harley muffler in my bike shed. When my EFI muffler bites the dust ( and it is already showing signs of wear), I'll put it on!
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 04:56:19 pm
I know this has been hashed out in another thread, but while we're here: what Harley muffler in particular have you guys switched to?  If I decide to try it, what should I be asking around for?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 10:20:25 pm
The Harley muffler I mounted is a slip on #65747-94 (I think the 94 refers to the year).  I think it came off of a Sportster.

The inside diameter at the front is just slightly larger than the RE's exhaust header so a thin sheet of metal was inserted before clamping it in place.

IMO, when I installed it there was a notable decrease in power so I used a long aircraft length drill to add holes thru the inner baffle.
Read more in this link

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14714.msg156804.html#msg156804
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary