HPRE

Menu

Members Rides

Happy boy on RE G5 UCE

in
Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 10, 2016, 02:21:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silencer heat shield hardware strangeness  (Read 1170 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Silencer heat shield hardware strangeness
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:38:43 pm »
I started my bike today and heard a faint clattering sound - quickly chased it to the shield on the silencer.  One of the three hex-head screws securing it was gone.  I went to the hardware store with allen wrench in hand (pocket, actually), and removed a second screw to find a match.  It came out with little difficulty, with threads slightly surface-rusty but otherwise intact.  The shortest replacement I could find was just a hair longer than the original.

I put both back on the bike (they both went on fairly easily), and sure enough, the longer screw bottomed out just before the head clamped down on the shield.  I thought I'd grab a washer to fill the gap, but...  darned if I could get either screw back out again.  After I got home, I waited for things to cool down a bit, then went after both screws with penetrating oil, all the while thinking I was going to strip the hex socket or break the tool (not likely to break the head off the 6mm screw).  I eventually got them both out, with threads intact,  but what the heck is going on here?  I was going to lock-tite them, but now everything is saturated with penetrating oil.  Anyway, I don't see how they would have come out on their own as tight as they were.

Ideas?

Will residual penetrating oil bother blue lock-tite?  Will blue lock-tite work at all with the heat of the exhaust?
My other wheels:www.midcoast.com/~beechhil/vielle My ISP stopped hosting all user websites, deleted them without notice!  >:( grrr...

Gremlin heads for the hills…

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Re: Silencer heat shield hardware strangeness
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:46:24 pm »
Heat promotes oxidation.  Thing that get hot rust faster, simple as that.

I threw those silly little allen head screws away the first time I got them out.  I replaced them with standard hex head bolts in stainless steel.  I had to cut them down a bit but that was easy enough with a Dremel.  Now when I need to take them out past the accumulated rust I know I can get enough torque to do it.

The residual oil will block Loc-Tite.  Just use some solvent and a Qtip to clean them out.  At those temps no LocTite is going to hold BUT it will fill the gap with it's plasticky-ness and help prevent more rust.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 02:59:07 pm »
The Loctite will work, but a better plan is to get a different muffler. I had the same problem with my stock muffler the day I picked it up. I heard the rattling but kinda dismissed it, and a few weeks later, got an EFI muffler and when removing the bazooka, found the heat shield screws loose.
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:07:10 pm »
My Boys!!!   ;D

Thanks guys!  I think I would like to replace the bazooka with an EFI, but I don't want the bike to be any louder.  Anyway, that will probably be next season's "project".

Solvent: Alcohol?  Acetone?  Mineral Spirits?  (That's all the solvents I have...)
My other wheels:www.midcoast.com/~beechhil/vielle My ISP stopped hosting all user websites, deleted them without notice!  >:( grrr...

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 03:17:36 pm »
My Boys!!!   ;D

Thanks guys!  I think I would like to replace the bazooka with an EFI, but I don't want the bike to be any louder.  Anyway, that will probably be next season's "project".

Solvent: Alcohol?  Acetone?  Mineral Spirits?  (That's all the solvents I have...)
Mattsz, I would enjoy a drink while doing it... Alcohol works really well..  ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Mark F   (Northern, CA)
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 04:06:16 pm »
Acetone would work fine.  You just need something that will cut the oil.

Scott
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 04:29:16 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 05:25:36 pm »
I doubt that Loc-Tite will last in that area of the muffler.
Based on the colors of the chrome plating I would guess it could get well over 700 degrees F.
A heavy split lock washer would probably do a better job of securing the screws.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 05:27:28 pm »
Yeah, but it can't hurt either.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 05:42:56 pm »
Heat promotes oxidation.  Thing that get hot rust faster, simple as that.

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:18:26 pm »
A heavy split lock washer would probably do a better job of securing the screws.

... and, the washer might just be thick enough so I don't have to shorten the screws...