Author Topic: Silencer heat shield hardware strangeness  (Read 3320 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: October 08, 2012, 08:38:43 pm
I started my bike today and heard a faint clattering sound - quickly chased it to the shield on the silencer.  One of the three hex-head screws securing it was gone.  I went to the hardware store with allen wrench in hand (pocket, actually), and removed a second screw to find a match.  It came out with little difficulty, with threads slightly surface-rusty but otherwise intact.  The shortest replacement I could find was just a hair longer than the original.

I put both back on the bike (they both went on fairly easily), and sure enough, the longer screw bottomed out just before the head clamped down on the shield.  I thought I'd grab a washer to fill the gap, but...  darned if I could get either screw back out again.  After I got home, I waited for things to cool down a bit, then went after both screws with penetrating oil, all the while thinking I was going to strip the hex socket or break the tool (not likely to break the head off the 6mm screw).  I eventually got them both out, with threads intact,  but what the heck is going on here?  I was going to lock-tite them, but now everything is saturated with penetrating oil.  Anyway, I don't see how they would have come out on their own as tight as they were.

Ideas?

Will residual penetrating oil bother blue lock-tite?  Will blue lock-tite work at all with the heat of the exhaust?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:46:24 pm
Heat promotes oxidation.  Thing that get hot rust faster, simple as that.

I threw those silly little allen head screws away the first time I got them out.  I replaced them with standard hex head bolts in stainless steel.  I had to cut them down a bit but that was easy enough with a Dremel.  Now when I need to take them out past the accumulated rust I know I can get enough torque to do it.

The residual oil will block Loc-Tite.  Just use some solvent and a Qtip to clean them out.  At those temps no LocTite is going to hold BUT it will fill the gap with it's plasticky-ness and help prevent more rust.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:07 pm
The Loctite will work, but a better plan is to get a different muffler. I had the same problem with my stock muffler the day I picked it up. I heard the rattling but kinda dismissed it, and a few weeks later, got an EFI muffler and when removing the bazooka, found the heat shield screws loose.
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:07:10 pm
My Boys!!!   ;D

Thanks guys!  I think I would like to replace the bazooka with an EFI, but I don't want the bike to be any louder.  Anyway, that will probably be next season's "project".

Solvent: Alcohol?  Acetone?  Mineral Spirits?  (That's all the solvents I have...)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:17:36 pm
My Boys!!!   ;D

Thanks guys!  I think I would like to replace the bazooka with an EFI, but I don't want the bike to be any louder.  Anyway, that will probably be next season's "project".

Solvent: Alcohol?  Acetone?  Mineral Spirits?  (That's all the solvents I have...)
Mattsz, I would enjoy a drink while doing it... Alcohol works really well..  ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:16 pm
Acetone would work fine.  You just need something that will cut the oil.

Scott
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:29:16 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:25:36 pm
I doubt that Loc-Tite will last in that area of the muffler.
Based on the colors of the chrome plating I would guess it could get well over 700 degrees F.
A heavy split lock washer would probably do a better job of securing the screws.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:27:28 pm
Yeah, but it can't hurt either.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 11:42:56 pm
Heat promotes oxidation.  Thing that get hot rust faster, simple as that.

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 12:18:26 am
A heavy split lock washer would probably do a better job of securing the screws.

... and, the washer might just be thick enough so I don't have to shorten the screws...