Author Topic: Properly adjusted valves make a world of difference!  (Read 1761 times)

PiggyPup

• Scooter
  • And now I see with eye serene...
on: October 08, 2012, 12:43:51 pm
The subject line really says it all...  I had thought, from what I read and from a YouTube video I saw, that mine were set up right, but WOW, was I wrong!  A new friend, who also happens to be a master Enfield technician, showed me how to do it properly, and the difference is- pardon the colloquialism, I live in New Jersey- friggin' amazing!  Quieter, smoother, more powerful, better fuel economy...  And I thought I loved my Bullet before!

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 08:54:11 pm
Good job...surprising how much something little that that can make a diff...."know your machine". 8)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 09:43:08 pm
The subject line really says it all...  I had thought, from what I read and from a YouTube video I saw, that mine were set up right, but WOW, was I wrong!  A new friend, who also happens to be a master Enfield technician, showed me how to do it properly, and the difference is- pardon the colloquialism, I live in New Jersey- friggin' amazing!  Quieter, smoother, more powerful, better fuel economy...  And I thought I loved my Bullet before!
What'd I say?
I told you you'd dig Chumma.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:47:56 pm
Very glad to hear. So what's the before and after? What was the way you thought you knew, and what did you do differently?

Jeff

PiggyPup

• Scooter
  • And now I see with eye serene...
Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:28:52 am
Well, what I read said that there should be no up and down movement, and that you should be able to spin them with your finger.  The video I watched showed them spinning very easily, so this is how I set them.  After he was done he fired his bike up and held the camera by the top end to allow the viewer to hear how the engine should sound.  Mine sounded the same, so I of course thought it was right.  Chumma showed me that, while you SHOULD be able to rotate them by finger, they should NOT be as free as I left them.  Now I know.