Author Topic: Fall Foliage Tour  (Read 2743 times)

PiggyPup

• Scooter
  • And now I see with eye serene...
on: October 06, 2012, 11:50:41 pm
Got together with Chuck D and Chumma for a fall foliage ride this morning, and Chuck's friend Dominic came along.  You'll no doubt hear the Sesame Street song "One Of These Things Isn't Like The Other" in your head when you see the pics-  the yellow BMW looked a bit out of place, but that was OK, Dom's a great guy!  Anyway, we met up at Cycle City, an Enfield dealership in Sloatsburg, New York, and then we headed to Rhoad's North Tavern for breakfast.  Great food, great company, a smoke in the parking lot, and we were off.  We pulled into the old Red Apple Rest, a magnificent old landmark that is now abandoned and falling apart, for a picture and some reminiscing;  Dom and Chumma knew nothing of the place, but it held some fond childhood memories for Chuck and me.  From there it was over the mountain to Greenwood Lake, and then we turned north to head for Goshen.  We made it as far as Warwick before Daphne started making some odd noises, so we had to stop in the parking lot of a closed-down pizza joint to let her cool down, and Chumma- master Enfield tech that he is- made a quick job of adjusting the tappets, and he had her running better than ever.  But, alas, it was threatening rain, even spitting a bit, so we turned back toward home, our carefully mapped route sadly incomplete.  The quaint towns of Goshen, NY, Port Jervis, NY, and Milford, PA will have to wait for another day, as will the summit of High Point State Park, but hey-  it gives us something to look forward to!  Until next time...

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:49:53 am
Awesome.  My bike was at that dealer and I picked it from a service about three hours later than you and then went to rhodes for lunch.  From the looks of it my truck with the bike in the back was in the same spot that you parked in.  Next time for sure.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

PiggyPup

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:39:34 am
Wow, that is funny- I stopped back at Rhodes for a bite on the way home, and a guy said "Nice bike...  Second one I've seen today.  There was one in here on the back of a truck a couple of hours ago."

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 03:29:36 am
Good time had by all!
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 03:07:09 pm
Wow, that is funny- I stopped back at Rhodes for a bite on the way home, and a guy said "Nice bike...  Second one I've seen today.  There was one in here on the back of a truck a couple of hours ago."

That was me!
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:59:44 am
It's been a long time since I was in that area. If my memory serves me right, there was a great diner in Port Jervis with a surplus store across the street. I picked up some rain gear to help with the fog and chill.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

PiggyPup

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 03:40:54 pm
Yeah, we didn't make it nearly that far, but Port Jervis is a beautiful town.  Hopefully we'll finish the route next time!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 09:48:20 pm
Looks like a fun ride. Wish I were in the neighborhood. To bad you got threatened with wet. Did you actually get into any rain?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

PiggyPup

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 12:20:36 am
Well, the rain was north, so we spun around and went south, whence we came.  I caught a few small drops, but nothing to speak of.  I did see on the local news weather report that evening that they did get some showers.