Author Topic: Service in VA  (Read 2881 times)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
on: October 04, 2012, 04:11:10 pm
I am deployed at the moment, but when I get back I would like to get my Enfield serviced. It is in storage in Virginia Beach, VA. Is Richmond really the closest shop to work on my bike?  I know I know...you all think I should be doing all the work myself and what-not. It's my main transport when I'm back so I need it up and running fast!

It needs a new headlight. The original lens cracked (Virginia highways are rough!) and water got in and shorted out the bulb when it rained overnight. I might as well upgrade to the 7". Is the best place to get that Hitchcock's?

The front fork oil need to be changed.

New stainless brake line up front.

New chain and sprocket.

New tires.

And I wish I could install a fireball kit... ;D All this deployment money standing by, Ace!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:47:58 pm
     For the record: This forum is hosted by the US importer for Royal Enfield. I have purchased many 7 inch headlight kits, chains, sprockets, and many other parts from CMW without incurring overseas shipping costs. Buying the same product from here  saves you money. It also supports the very people that support you. Most of your money stays in the U.S.A. rather than going to a foreign country.
     I am an RE dealer. If you have any questions you can contact me at 866-VINCEMC. Email vince@vincesmc.com. Or you can call our host at 800-201-7472.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:07:36 pm
You can get most of that done at any competent shop.  I'd recommend you find one that has experience with vintage British bikes because a few things are quirky on these bikes.  Your average Harley or Asian bike mechanic will probably be at a loss.

The sprockets are RE only items, you can't get universal replacements.  The way the rear wheel and sprocket/brake hub goes together is a bit odd.  If you have a C5 changing the fork oil is a bit involved because the fork legs need to be completely removed from the bike to do it.  The G5 is much easier, just drain from the bottom and refill from the top.

Tires, chain, brake line, and headlight, any shop can do those pretty easily.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:39:03 pm
Since you have a G5, replace the sprocket with an 18T so you can get a quality Oring chain. Also replace the tires with something other than the Skidmasters.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:54:12 am
Thanks everyone for the advice. I did call a couple Triumph dealerships close by and they told me to take it to the Enfield dealer in Richmond...didn't need the work, I guess.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 06:54:32 pm
Triumph dealers sell new Triumphs, nothing like the old ones.  You want someone who works on OLD bikes.  Check around for an independent shop with a crusty, cranky old guy who knows old British iron.  The shop will probably look like hell and smell funny.  That's ok, it means you're on the right track ;)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:26 pm
Check around for an independent shop with a crusty, cranky old guy who knows old British iron.  The shop will probably look like hell and smell funny.

Looks like hell and smell funny. You mean a real motorcycle shop? Not these new fangled corporate looking places where nobody knows your name and could not care less. Where you can't go into a shop and talk to a mechanic, er, I mean, technician? Who wouldn't know a BSA from a Bultaco, even if they'd ever heard of one? And charge you like they're running a Mercedes shop?
That's why I got to the shop I go to. The guys know motorcycles, even though they are a modern Triumph dealer, it still smells right and they do know Enfields.
I wouldn't consider taking my bike to the RE dealer down the street for service. I doubt that anyone in there knows anything about Enfields, I know their sales staff doesn't. I'm sure the techs are just as clueless.
I'll stick to my 100 mile round trip as opposed to 8.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 07:23:30 pm
Above all raderj, return home safe.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 12:00:54 am
an independent shop with a crusty, cranky old guy who knows old British iron.  The shop will probably look like hell and smell funny.

Hey ......   be nice now.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 12:22:44 am
Ok, he may not be old. ;)

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 07:21:29 pm
Hey bare, do you take yours down to the guys off I-8 in San Diego?  That's where I bought mine. Its a Triumph dealership but they were some great guys who loved Enfields. They restore and sell old Triumphs and BSA's too!  I wish I was still stationed in the San Diego area...great place to live.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:27:46 pm
No, I take it to Doug Douglas in San Barnaghetto. They were an old English bike shop, then went through some Jap stuff and now just sell Triumphs and REs. I haven't made it to the shop in San Diego yet. It's been a couple of years while since I've been down there. I live in Orange County about 100 miles from SD. It is nice down there!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

raderj

• Bulleteer
  • Sgt Johnson USMC
Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 02:00:55 pm
It sure is! The guys down there are good at what they do as well. And for what its worth, they are "slightly advanced in years" if that plays into how good a shop really is!  Not sure about that smell though...