Author Topic: What could be the problem with a 2003 Royal Enfield 500 ES Bullet  (Read 8080 times)

paul9656

• Scooter
Engine won't turn over and key just makes that "clicking" noise.  Also how much would it be to fix in the USA.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Check your battery and connections.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

paul9656

• Scooter
Was told that it could be a problem with the starter clutch?  Does that sound right?

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
It's possible but I would check the battery and all related connections first. before getting into the hard stuff.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

paul9656

• Scooter
If it was a starter clutch.  How much am I looking at to fix?

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Big job parts are expensive. If thats the case that the starter drive is N.G. you can just kickstart it..  ERC

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
My guess is the battery is shot. The clicking you hear is the solenoid closing the circuit to the starter, but the battery doesn't have enough juice in it to turn the starter. For a quick check, hook a voltmeter to the battery, then push the starter button and see what the voltage drops to. If it goes under 10V, you need a new battery.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

paul9656

• Scooter
How much would a battery cost?  How much would a starter clutch cost?  Ballpark for parts and labor

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
If the starter clutch was defective, when you push the start button you would hear the electric motor whirr up to speed but the engine would not rotate.
You did not say this was your problem so based on your description, you do not need a starter clutch.

Because you hear a 'clicking" when you push the button you probably do not need a new starter solenoid either.
That leaves the battery or a loose or corroded battery cable connection as the most likely  problem.

You should count on having to spend somewhere between $70-$150 USD but remember, your new battery should have a 14 AH (amp hour) rating to work your electric starter motor.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
My Deka AGM battery is up to $71 now. The EX15 is the latest version. Call to make sure your getting the right one with the reversed posts of whatever brand you get. Or go to Wally World (Walmart) they carry motorcycle batteries and you can see what you're getting.
As for the problem being the sprag clutch, your symptoms don't match the problem. I think they are in the $300 range for the part.
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 11:58:22 pm
assure the battery is good and charged...
then I would consider following this bulletin from  2004.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Royal Enfield Auto Starter Cutoff switch tech bulletin

Applicability
All Royal Enfield Bullets with electric start through very late 2004. Non-Critical issue.

Problem
When the starter button is engaged a “buzzing” noise emanates from the left hand toolbox and the starter does not engage. It mimics a low battery or a bad starter solenoid. Sometimes the starter may work fine and at other times it may buzz and not engage the starter.

Background
The problem usually lies with the “auto starter cut off switch” which is the blue box found in the left hand tool, box. This unit has been installed on all ES models until very recently. Its original purpose was to sense when the engine was running and then “cut- out” the starter. The problem is theunitdrops enough voltage across itself that it may not provide sufficient voltagto the solenoid, thus causing it to buzz and not engage. The factory has determined that since most other motor vehicles do not have this convenience feature, the part is not necessary and causes more trouble than its worth.
Time Estimate
10 minutes

Procedure
First make sure that the bike has a fully charged battery and that it does not dip below 10.5 volts under load. A low battery will cause the same symptoms. It is also possible that the solenoid itself is bad, but it is more likely that the problem lies with the auto starter-cutoff switch. If in doubt you can apply battery voltage to the two leads which activate the solenoid, effectively eliminating the auto starter cut off switch. If it works when jumpered the problem lies with the auto starter cut off switch and not with the solenoid.
1.   Disconnect the auto starter cut off switch from the wiring harness ( it is blue in color).
2.   On the wiring harness side of the connector interconnect the red wire with the white trace and the red wire with the blue trace. Make sure that there is not danger of the new connection touching ground and causing a short by using electrical tape to insulate the connection and placing it out of harms way.

Disclaimer
This bulletin is not mandatory and was written by Kevin Mahoney of Classic Motorworks. While the factory supplied the direction, the writing is my own.
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:23:15 am
I don't believe a 2003 hase a blue box starter cutout on it.  ERC

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:52:51 am
yes they did, or at least mine did till I removed it to "fix" the issue.
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:48 am
That's interesting my 2004 doesn't have it and Redcats 2002 doesn't. Sorry about the wrong spelling in my last comment.  :-[    ERC

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 04:49:16 pm
Just kickstart it.   ;)  battery tenders also work well with these bikes if you do a lot of "short trips" and well its a 2003 you will have problems.  Most people who post are ones with 2003s.   Good luck!
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR