Author Topic: Headlight & RH lights gone  (Read 1534 times)

ZoomZoom

• Scooter
on: October 12, 2012, 05:00:15 pm
2005 Bullet 500...  I just recently lost my headlight and all the lights on the right hand side of the bike including front and rear turn-signals and the little running light beside the headlight...  I have checked all bulbs (except the headlight) and they are all good.  Is there something I'm missing here?  Is there something obvious that would cause all these to go out at once?  What should I be looking for in trying to chase down this wiring gremlin?

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:19:26 pm
Could be a few different things.  I had a similar problem where the wire bundle rubs on the headset between the fuel tank and the headlight nacelle.  The wires in the bundle have been known to wear off the insulation and short circuit. In my case, the wire to the headlight was hanging by a thread and would go out when I turned right and come back on when I turned left.  You may have to take off the fuel tank and unwrap the wire bundle, look for worn insulation or broken wires.  good luck with it.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:56:49 pm
I've found those cheap light up testers to be really useful for things like this.  Or a multimeter clipped to an awl or needle.  Could be a short, could be a bad connection, a broken splice, bad switch.  Just gotta poke around till you find where the voltage is stopping or dipping.  Also, like mr underhill said, the harness does rub towards the front there.  Might save you time by checking there first.