Author Topic: Look, I finally accomplished something....  (Read 9487 times)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 10:31:23 pm
When you get the motor-sailer,take out the diesel and put the Enfield in there.Won't weigh much more than the diesel.
Then you will have everything.
There you go!  And run the prop for the boat off the Enfield's chain!  Rube Goldberg would be proud!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 07:21:19 pm
There you go!  And run the prop for the boat off the Enfield's chain!  Rube Goldberg would be proud!

LOL,, I rig of that nature would make a person thankful they had sails for backup..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 08:40:56 pm
Speaking of sailing, I caught some of the America's Cup catamaran racing in San Francisco Bay last weekend. One of the American boats did a beautiful pitch-poling job. That's equivalent to going over the bars in motorcycle lingo! It was magnificent! Those big boats certainly can get it right. Sure brought back memories of my Hobie 18 racing days!
And now back to the original thread.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Bumboo

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 02:04:44 am
Sailing?  Just do it!  Spousal Unit and I cruised the Bahamas and the Caribbean when I retired from the military.  We left with kids in college and defaulted to "fish heads and rice" when we had to.   We chose the boat we had, a S2. 9.2m production sloop.    This was a good boat but not a great boat and not one generally considered suited for distant cruising.  In over 14000 miles we never were any more threatened than just heading out on the RE for a Sunday ride. At anchor at day's end, we had the same sunsets as the megayachts.  The experience changed our lives!  In a very short time we learned how very few things we need to get by.  We learned to be patient with the weather, the tides, life, and each other.   Keeping a sailboat seaworthy is a lot like keeping an Enfield ready for road.  Generally, take care of the small problems as they occur and it'll take you out and bring you home.   My advice is: don't wait.  There will always be one more reason not to go.   If you can't afford the boat of your dreams, then narrow your dreams to fit the boat you can afford.   It's the voyage, not the destination!  Bumboo     

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 06:50:21 pm
I just bought a cabin cruiser sailboat myself.  I have limited experience sailing though.  I understand all the concepts and feel comfortable enough just jumping into it, however, my family doesn't like that idea.  So I've been trying to find an experienced sailor to take it out along the coast with me.  Maybe sail around Catalina and back.

Maybe it's the Nordic blood in me, but I love the ocean, solitude, fishing, adventure/exploration.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 08:08:13 pm
My spousal unit at the time I was sailing hated my Hobie. I dumped it one day when she was with me and she never got on it again. It was really funny, though. I just got the hull a bit high and it went over. I got it righted right away and got back of board and she grabbed onto the mainsheet that was still in the water. Well, that trim the sail and we were hauling butt. She's yelling at me to stop and I was yelling at her to let go. She didn't want to do that. I finally steered off the trim and got stopped. I got her back aboard and she said she only wanted to go swimming when she chose to, not when some damn boat decided for her. She never got on it again. I got rid of the Hobie and bought a monohull. She didn't like that either. Then she made the fatal mistake telling me I couldn't buy another motorcycle.  She did have some great qualities, but wanted to turn me into her. She's history.
My current wife is almost as bad, and as good as the ex was, but when we first started dating, I told her never to tell me anything about having bikes. I'd had them a lot longer than I'd have her,and guess what would be the first to go in a conflict! She used to ride with me until I signed the deed to the ranch. She quit riding then, but she sure doesn't bug me about riding. OR sailing, Or flying.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 08:20:09 pm
I told her never to tell me anything about having bikes. I'd had them a lot longer than I'd have her

Haha, that's a good way of putting it.  I'll have to remember that one.  I don't know what it is about women that make them seem to want to control the things that make you happy.  Maybe they're jealous.  Gotta love 'em though.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:12 pm
Since this is sort of a salt water thread I thought a few of you might enjoy this: http://vimeo.com/46183426
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 03:56:15 pm
I told her never to tell me anything about having bikes. I'd had them a lot longer than I'd have her, and guess what would be the first to go in a conflict!
Haha, that's a good way of putting it.  I'll have to remember that one.

"Honey; I love you, but the bike was here before you came along, and the bike will be here after you're gone. Ain't nothing you can do that'll ever change that."
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 03:58:49 pm
Nice video.

Brought home my first real bit of gear for the my future tender.  A old 2 stroke outboard found in the back of the grandparents garage. Looks like the throttle handle broke and there it got left forgotten many years back.   I will have to take some pictures and figure out what it is, looks to be about 8 horse. Best part it was free. (honestly, I probably will end up selling it for scrap ad getting new)

Here is what I have in mind for a boat. 

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1967-Tartan-Blackwatch-101784223

Haha, that's a good way of putting it.  I'll have to remember that one.  I don't know what it is about women that make them seem to want to control the things that make you happy.  Maybe they're jealous.  Gotta love 'em though.

I count myself as lucky that the Admiral is on board with the plan at this point.  I think a big seller is being able to take the entire family along, even if we get have some crumb crunchers in the near future. 

Told her I plan on retiring in about 14 years and we will be sailing the Carribean and Europe soon thereafter.  Will settle with the east coast from the Keys to Norfolk until then.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 05:08:00 pm
Oooh, that's a nice boat.  I'm in the camp of "real boats are made of wood" but of course I can't afford such quality, so I bought a cheap a$$ MacGregor.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 09:23:00 pm
I don't know what it is about women that make them seem to want to control the things that make you happy.  Maybe they're jealous.  Gotta love 'em though.

I've found, in my many marriages, that a woman will go out and do all those fun things you like to do, until you sign the deed to the ranch. Then They will try to convert you into what they were really looking for in the first place.
A guy wants the girl to stay the way she is while they are dating. Unfortunately, many men acquiesce to their thinking.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:13 pm
I've found, in my many marriages, that a woman will go out and do all those fun things you like to do, until you sign the deed to the ranch. Then They will try to convert you into what they were really looking for in the first place.
A guy wants the girl to stay the way she is while they are dating. Unfortunately, many men acquiesce to their thinking.
Bare

I've heard this before, and I didn't believe it at first.  But I have seen it happen now and it's a sad truth.  That's not to say it's always the case, but it definitely happens.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 03:30:13 am
Oooh, that's a nice boat.  I'm in the camp of "real boats are made of wood" but of course I can't afford such quality, so I bought a cheap a$$ MacGregor.

Can't really afford it at the moment but in 3 or 4 years maybe.  My worry is that the economy comes roaring back and the price of a good boat goes up with it.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 07:20:43 am
True.  Boats are dirt cheap right now.