Author Topic: Look, I finally accomplished something....  (Read 9490 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
on: October 01, 2012, 03:42:10 pm
Yes,  mom would be proud I am runner up Spam King on this forum..

8)

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15319.msg164567.html#new

Top Topic Starters
scoTTy 263
The Garbone 232

and

Most Time Online
ace.cafe 114d 3h 54m
The Garbone 101d 13h 2m

I attribute my longevity to leaving the browser open on my work machine which has a Caffeine program that keeps my mchine from going to sleep. 

I expect to be surpassed in the not to distant future once I sort out my 95 and my 57.   Gonna move on to sailing.   Thinking about getting a 37' (Tartan) sailboat and try to do the wander the world thing.   Clamp would be proud....

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:57:12 pm
Nice! If you think your enfield is frustrating to get sorted just wait until you start working on the boat! You'll have to add a flying flea to your collection so you can stuff it in the boat and keep riding around the world. Either that or sail to India and get your fix there.  When your traveling the world stop by and visit me in the Santa Cruz harbor!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:24:24 pm
Back in my sailing days in the '70s, I had dreams of living on a boat and sailing off into the sunsets. then reality hit me. What was I going to do with all my crap? All that good stuff isn't going to fit!. Then, after sailing over to Catalina, I found that just sailing around was days and days of pure boredom, punctuated by hours of sheer terror.
I loved the racing part of sailing, never was much of a day sailor.
Pretty much kept my feet on the ground the ground after that. Found airplanes and motorcycles much more appealing.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:04:07 pm
Ya,  We are thinking about chartering for a few weeks over the next few summers/years.  If we love it we will buy a boat in about seven to ten and get it ready for our retirement.   Lucky for us we have a relatively inexpensive  marina in town that a boat can navigated to the Atlantic from.   

Never thought of a flying flea....hmmmm.. Depending on the boat I could in theory remove the tires and stow it below in the quarter birth or some such.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 01:07:34 am
I've been told that a boat is nothing but a hole in the water that the owner must pour an endless stream of money into.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:41:30 am
I've been told that a boat is nothing but a hole in the water that the owner must pour an endless stream of money into.

Can't take it with me last time I checked.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 01:49:52 am
An the happiest days of a boater's life are the day he bought the boat and the day he sold it.

Seriously, though, the majority of boat owners let the boats sit and don't do him any good.  The minority of boat owner use them and enjoy them and are really happy when aboard and go through withdrawals if they're away from the boat for too long.  Kind of like motorcyclists!

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 05:18:27 am
An the happiest days of a boater's life are the day he bought the boat and the day he sold it.

Seriously, though, the majority of boat owners let the boats sit and don't do him any good.  The minority of boat owner use them and enjoy them and are really happy when aboard and go through withdrawals if they're away from the boat for too long.  Kind of like motorcyclists!

My brother-in-law mixes the two worlds. He lives on his boat and commutes on his bike. When he gets the urge, he takes off on one or the other. Last I spoke with him, he was trying to design a hoist so he could take the bike with him on the boat.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 04:48:25 pm
The local marina has a club that you can pay $60 per day for a sailboat up to a 24 ft.   

The wife is is just about as excited as I am. 
We have our first lessons schedulered for November working toward certification.  It will be fun.   

I have been reading about bikes on boats. It seems if you stow it on deck the salt spray will eat it up pretty quick even if you spray it regularly.  A smaller rig that can be stored below would probably be better for travel. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:41:31 pm
My son and I acquired a 24' Cornish Crabber, built in England. It even has a Little one cylinder Yanmar diesel in keeping with the bike. I hope to do some cruising down the road but right now we're just knocking around in Nantucket sound. Thats us last summer below.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:44:02 pm
Looks like a fun one.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 03:32:33 am
Bring
Out
Another
Thousand

;D

Sailing sound like great fun.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:02:28 pm

I grew up blue-water sailing aboard a '62 Morgan 45.  The joys of ocean sailing can be best experienced by standing in a telephone booth and having your friends throw bucketfuls of cold salt water on you, whilst you simultaneously tear up $100 bills.

That being said, I was seven times across The Line and twice around the world under sail before I reached age eighteen, and I wouldn't trade the experience for all the money in the world plus $100.

Go for it, Garbone... You won't know 'til you try.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 07:40:04 pm
Here's my yacht.  A little small but the berthing fees are affordable (aka my carport).

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 09:33:48 pm
When you get the motor-sailer,take out the diesel and put the Enfield in there.Won't weigh much more than the diesel.
Then you will have everything.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 10:31:23 pm
When you get the motor-sailer,take out the diesel and put the Enfield in there.Won't weigh much more than the diesel.
Then you will have everything.
There you go!  And run the prop for the boat off the Enfield's chain!  Rube Goldberg would be proud!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 07:21:19 pm
There you go!  And run the prop for the boat off the Enfield's chain!  Rube Goldberg would be proud!

LOL,, I rig of that nature would make a person thankful they had sails for backup..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 08:40:56 pm
Speaking of sailing, I caught some of the America's Cup catamaran racing in San Francisco Bay last weekend. One of the American boats did a beautiful pitch-poling job. That's equivalent to going over the bars in motorcycle lingo! It was magnificent! Those big boats certainly can get it right. Sure brought back memories of my Hobie 18 racing days!
And now back to the original thread.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Bumboo

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 02:04:44 am
Sailing?  Just do it!  Spousal Unit and I cruised the Bahamas and the Caribbean when I retired from the military.  We left with kids in college and defaulted to "fish heads and rice" when we had to.   We chose the boat we had, a S2. 9.2m production sloop.    This was a good boat but not a great boat and not one generally considered suited for distant cruising.  In over 14000 miles we never were any more threatened than just heading out on the RE for a Sunday ride. At anchor at day's end, we had the same sunsets as the megayachts.  The experience changed our lives!  In a very short time we learned how very few things we need to get by.  We learned to be patient with the weather, the tides, life, and each other.   Keeping a sailboat seaworthy is a lot like keeping an Enfield ready for road.  Generally, take care of the small problems as they occur and it'll take you out and bring you home.   My advice is: don't wait.  There will always be one more reason not to go.   If you can't afford the boat of your dreams, then narrow your dreams to fit the boat you can afford.   It's the voyage, not the destination!  Bumboo     

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 06:50:21 pm
I just bought a cabin cruiser sailboat myself.  I have limited experience sailing though.  I understand all the concepts and feel comfortable enough just jumping into it, however, my family doesn't like that idea.  So I've been trying to find an experienced sailor to take it out along the coast with me.  Maybe sail around Catalina and back.

Maybe it's the Nordic blood in me, but I love the ocean, solitude, fishing, adventure/exploration.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 08:08:13 pm
My spousal unit at the time I was sailing hated my Hobie. I dumped it one day when she was with me and she never got on it again. It was really funny, though. I just got the hull a bit high and it went over. I got it righted right away and got back of board and she grabbed onto the mainsheet that was still in the water. Well, that trim the sail and we were hauling butt. She's yelling at me to stop and I was yelling at her to let go. She didn't want to do that. I finally steered off the trim and got stopped. I got her back aboard and she said she only wanted to go swimming when she chose to, not when some damn boat decided for her. She never got on it again. I got rid of the Hobie and bought a monohull. She didn't like that either. Then she made the fatal mistake telling me I couldn't buy another motorcycle.  She did have some great qualities, but wanted to turn me into her. She's history.
My current wife is almost as bad, and as good as the ex was, but when we first started dating, I told her never to tell me anything about having bikes. I'd had them a lot longer than I'd have her,and guess what would be the first to go in a conflict! She used to ride with me until I signed the deed to the ranch. She quit riding then, but she sure doesn't bug me about riding. OR sailing, Or flying.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 08:20:09 pm
I told her never to tell me anything about having bikes. I'd had them a lot longer than I'd have her

Haha, that's a good way of putting it.  I'll have to remember that one.  I don't know what it is about women that make them seem to want to control the things that make you happy.  Maybe they're jealous.  Gotta love 'em though.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:12 pm
Since this is sort of a salt water thread I thought a few of you might enjoy this: http://vimeo.com/46183426

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 03:56:15 pm
I told her never to tell me anything about having bikes. I'd had them a lot longer than I'd have her, and guess what would be the first to go in a conflict!
Haha, that's a good way of putting it.  I'll have to remember that one.

"Honey; I love you, but the bike was here before you came along, and the bike will be here after you're gone. Ain't nothing you can do that'll ever change that."
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 03:58:49 pm
Nice video.

Brought home my first real bit of gear for the my future tender.  A old 2 stroke outboard found in the back of the grandparents garage. Looks like the throttle handle broke and there it got left forgotten many years back.   I will have to take some pictures and figure out what it is, looks to be about 8 horse. Best part it was free. (honestly, I probably will end up selling it for scrap ad getting new)

Here is what I have in mind for a boat. 

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1967-Tartan-Blackwatch-101784223

Haha, that's a good way of putting it.  I'll have to remember that one.  I don't know what it is about women that make them seem to want to control the things that make you happy.  Maybe they're jealous.  Gotta love 'em though.

I count myself as lucky that the Admiral is on board with the plan at this point.  I think a big seller is being able to take the entire family along, even if we get have some crumb crunchers in the near future. 

Told her I plan on retiring in about 14 years and we will be sailing the Carribean and Europe soon thereafter.  Will settle with the east coast from the Keys to Norfolk until then.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 05:08:00 pm
Oooh, that's a nice boat.  I'm in the camp of "real boats are made of wood" but of course I can't afford such quality, so I bought a cheap a$$ MacGregor.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 09:23:00 pm
I don't know what it is about women that make them seem to want to control the things that make you happy.  Maybe they're jealous.  Gotta love 'em though.

I've found, in my many marriages, that a woman will go out and do all those fun things you like to do, until you sign the deed to the ranch. Then They will try to convert you into what they were really looking for in the first place.
A guy wants the girl to stay the way she is while they are dating. Unfortunately, many men acquiesce to their thinking.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:13 pm
I've found, in my many marriages, that a woman will go out and do all those fun things you like to do, until you sign the deed to the ranch. Then They will try to convert you into what they were really looking for in the first place.
A guy wants the girl to stay the way she is while they are dating. Unfortunately, many men acquiesce to their thinking.
Bare

I've heard this before, and I didn't believe it at first.  But I have seen it happen now and it's a sad truth.  That's not to say it's always the case, but it definitely happens.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 03:30:13 am
Oooh, that's a nice boat.  I'm in the camp of "real boats are made of wood" but of course I can't afford such quality, so I bought a cheap a$$ MacGregor.

Can't really afford it at the moment but in 3 or 4 years maybe.  My worry is that the economy comes roaring back and the price of a good boat goes up with it.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 07:20:43 am
True.  Boats are dirt cheap right now.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 01:07:03 pm
I don't know if any of you are familiar with Wooden Boat Magazine, but there is a section in their classified ads for Free wooden boats seeking a new home. Some are a long way from seeing the water again, but a few have great potential for someone with a modest skill level and some determination.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 02:46:30 pm
Oh, not wood for me.  Too much maintenance in the tropics from what I read.  The Tartan I referenced was actually fiberglass without a teak deck.  One of the first they made so they tend to be built like a tank (1.5"thick in some places) compared to modern thinner hulls.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 06:31:08 pm
Oh, not wood for me.  Too much maintenance in the tropics from what I read.  The Tartan I referenced was actually fiberglass without a teak deck.  One of the first they made so they tend to be built like a tank (1.5"thick in some places) compared to modern thinner hulls.

That sounds pretty cool.  Must be heavy though.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 07:07:11 pm
Well,  worked on the 95 and the 57 a bit last week.   Need a new petcock for the 95 and gasket maker for the 57'.   

Back to boats..  After reading pretty constantly and making a plan on getting experienced enough to sail blue water I have decided to go with a small boat to start.. 

Something like this.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1978-Catalina-25-101749290

Good for weekends and the intercoastal.  Might even try the Keys and Dry Tortugas with it if I feel froggy.

Ahhhh...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: November 03, 2012, 07:18:36 pm
Catalinas are nice boats. I sailed one back in the '70s. The price looks really good, too, but then I haven't looked at the boat market for comparisons. If I were looking for one, though, that one could be on the list!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 03:48:00 am
Catalina are a bit slow but very stout for their size. The keels are well secured and faired well and you get alot of boat for the size in the 25 and the 27.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 01:38:26 pm
 If you are looking for a comfortable Fibergass Sloop with classic lines and capable of doing more than bumping along the coast you should take a look at Pacific Seacrafts. The price tag may be a barrier. At least for me.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 04:11:19 pm
I love the flicka and dana! Pricey and heavy though. Another classic plastic slow but seaworthy boat to look at is the westsail 32. I've been more into dreaming of multihulls than double enders lately.  Better to sail away from a storm than ride it out!

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 11:26:13 pm
A Westsail 32 was the boat from "A perfect storm".  The lady of the boat had them pulled off and it was found washed up in NC a few weeks later, did not sink even with no crew in a hurricane.  A good boat.

Love those Pacific Seacraft.  Never heard of those before and if this one is typical, wow..

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/30276

Out of my price range for a starter boat though.

Looked at a used Hunter 23 today and a new Hunter 27.  Neither impressed me as to being well built.  I looked at an old Ranger 23 that seemed like a better investment but was a little smaller inside.   One good thing is I have time to look, no rush.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 03:50:42 am
Ranger 23 is a bit small for cruising.  I have access to a 26 to sail and it's really well balanced even though the mainsail is so narrow with a funny high boom.  Even the 26 is a bit small below.  I think the old catalinas are the best boat for the money.  Erickson's are good boats too but have the typical bulhead/chainstay problems of boat's their era.  Look up the cape dory series too.  Very pretty lines by Carl Alberg.  Deals can be had from time to time.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 10:53:54 pm
Another Alberg design from the past are the Pierson Vanguards. Nice boats capable of comfortable cruising. A friend of mine has one in need of work and it came back beautifully. Sorry but I had to throw on another picture of my son and me sailing ouy of Stage Harbor this past Summer

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 03:03:27 am
Bought a boat today.
1974 Catalina 27.....  Let the work begin.

Name "Knot a Clew."
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 04:17:46 am
oooh pretty boat.. I'll shut up now..  giggle 264

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 10:04:25 pm
Very nice Gary,  The furler and the main sail cover look new. I bet that cock pit canvas comes in handy with that Florida sun!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 10:20:07 pm
Now u done it.....OMG start throwing money at it...Good luck to ya and why not...You live on the coast of Fl...I thought u were living north of Tampa where not as many tourist visit..Relatively close to the Swanee river...
Oh Magoo you done it again

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 04:42:29 am
Perfect! Looks great- You're gonna love it! Wonderful boats. When you look at the keel you cant even tell where the joint is between the glass and lead. I helped crush one up for the junkyard and I can tell you they are well made boats where it counts. It took half a day to get the keel off!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 05:56:02 am
Very nice, Gary. But better your hole in the water than mine! have fun, Dude!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 05:35:23 pm
Yup, this thing makes the money I have spent on the REs' seem like chump change.    I got it for less than I payed for my 07' but I will probably end up more that triple the figure into it by the time I am ready to take it on a long trip.   

The boat is sailable as it but for the motor,  the previous owner said it would not run.  It took me about 20 minutes with the manual to realise the choke lever was missing and the throttle cable was damaged.   Got her running now and a new throttle cable on the way.    I attribute the ease of troubleshooting to my Enfield ownership. 

Now I just need to get her pulled and painted, tune up the electrics and convert over to LEDs.   

I am looking forward to getting her out and hoisting the sails once the new throttle cable shows.  Hopefully next weekend.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK