Author Topic: Look, I finally accomplished something....  (Read 9500 times)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
on: October 01, 2012, 03:42:10 pm
Yes,  mom would be proud I am runner up Spam King on this forum..

8)

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15319.msg164567.html#new

Top Topic Starters
scoTTy 263
The Garbone 232

and

Most Time Online
ace.cafe 114d 3h 54m
The Garbone 101d 13h 2m

I attribute my longevity to leaving the browser open on my work machine which has a Caffeine program that keeps my mchine from going to sleep. 

I expect to be surpassed in the not to distant future once I sort out my 95 and my 57.   Gonna move on to sailing.   Thinking about getting a 37' (Tartan) sailboat and try to do the wander the world thing.   Clamp would be proud....

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:57:12 pm
Nice! If you think your enfield is frustrating to get sorted just wait until you start working on the boat! You'll have to add a flying flea to your collection so you can stuff it in the boat and keep riding around the world. Either that or sail to India and get your fix there.  When your traveling the world stop by and visit me in the Santa Cruz harbor!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:24:24 pm
Back in my sailing days in the '70s, I had dreams of living on a boat and sailing off into the sunsets. then reality hit me. What was I going to do with all my crap? All that good stuff isn't going to fit!. Then, after sailing over to Catalina, I found that just sailing around was days and days of pure boredom, punctuated by hours of sheer terror.
I loved the racing part of sailing, never was much of a day sailor.
Pretty much kept my feet on the ground the ground after that. Found airplanes and motorcycles much more appealing.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:04:07 pm
Ya,  We are thinking about chartering for a few weeks over the next few summers/years.  If we love it we will buy a boat in about seven to ten and get it ready for our retirement.   Lucky for us we have a relatively inexpensive  marina in town that a boat can navigated to the Atlantic from.   

Never thought of a flying flea....hmmmm.. Depending on the boat I could in theory remove the tires and stow it below in the quarter birth or some such.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 01:07:34 am
I've been told that a boat is nothing but a hole in the water that the owner must pour an endless stream of money into.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 01:41:30 am
I've been told that a boat is nothing but a hole in the water that the owner must pour an endless stream of money into.

Can't take it with me last time I checked.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 01:49:52 am
An the happiest days of a boater's life are the day he bought the boat and the day he sold it.

Seriously, though, the majority of boat owners let the boats sit and don't do him any good.  The minority of boat owner use them and enjoy them and are really happy when aboard and go through withdrawals if they're away from the boat for too long.  Kind of like motorcyclists!

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 05:18:27 am
An the happiest days of a boater's life are the day he bought the boat and the day he sold it.

Seriously, though, the majority of boat owners let the boats sit and don't do him any good.  The minority of boat owner use them and enjoy them and are really happy when aboard and go through withdrawals if they're away from the boat for too long.  Kind of like motorcyclists!

My brother-in-law mixes the two worlds. He lives on his boat and commutes on his bike. When he gets the urge, he takes off on one or the other. Last I spoke with him, he was trying to design a hoist so he could take the bike with him on the boat.
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 04:48:25 pm
The local marina has a club that you can pay $60 per day for a sailboat up to a 24 ft.   

The wife is is just about as excited as I am. 
We have our first lessons schedulered for November working toward certification.  It will be fun.   

I have been reading about bikes on boats. It seems if you stow it on deck the salt spray will eat it up pretty quick even if you spray it regularly.  A smaller rig that can be stored below would probably be better for travel. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:41:31 pm
My son and I acquired a 24' Cornish Crabber, built in England. It even has a Little one cylinder Yanmar diesel in keeping with the bike. I hope to do some cruising down the road but right now we're just knocking around in Nantucket sound. Thats us last summer below.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:44:02 pm
Looks like a fun one.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 03:32:33 am
Bring
Out
Another
Thousand

;D

Sailing sound like great fun.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 06:02:28 pm

I grew up blue-water sailing aboard a '62 Morgan 45.  The joys of ocean sailing can be best experienced by standing in a telephone booth and having your friends throw bucketfuls of cold salt water on you, whilst you simultaneously tear up $100 bills.

That being said, I was seven times across The Line and twice around the world under sail before I reached age eighteen, and I wouldn't trade the experience for all the money in the world plus $100.

Go for it, Garbone... You won't know 'til you try.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 07:40:04 pm
Here's my yacht.  A little small but the berthing fees are affordable (aka my carport).

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 09:33:48 pm
When you get the motor-sailer,take out the diesel and put the Enfield in there.Won't weigh much more than the diesel.
Then you will have everything.