Author Topic: Battery Tender  (Read 3008 times)

Pickasaurus

• Scooter
on: October 01, 2012, 01:26:06 am
Just picked up a 2012 C5 Special.  Hooked my battery tender to it like i have on all my bikes.  Was out in the garage near the bike when i heard a bubbling sound coming from the Enfield battery.   My other bikes were quiet, no bubbling.  Anyone have any issues using a battery tender on the Enfield's?  I am not sure if this is a problem or not. 
Sunt Nobis Dracones Interficiendi

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 02:43:42 am
Never had an issue with the Battery Tender Jr, if the polarity is reversed or it will tell you (I think).

Just a note - The original equipment battery is not the best quality, they have been know to leak and eat up the paint.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Pickasaurus

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:18:40 am
Do you have a suggestion for a replacement battery.  Maybe that is something i should invest in to avoid future  issues

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 07:49:48 am
get a gel cell
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:07 am
I agree, get a gel Cell if you must! I've had my bike 2 years, and it was a hold over when I got it and I have yet to have any issues with my battery. It's now over 3 years old. I do detach the positive lead for over the winter storage. (I'm in Vermont) In the past I've just taken it out and brought it in the house for the winter. Motorcycle batteries are notorious for hating the winter weather and I never expect one to have a useful life much over 4 years, so I do what i can to coddle them..they're cheap enough but why encourage failure?

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 02:10:39 pm
Heard  the same bubbling when I hooked up the Tender to my original battery as well (2012 C5). Not wanting to take a chance on acid droplets (or gasses) escaping, (and knowing it to be a somewhat cheap and old technology battery,) I replaced it with this AGM from Battery Mart:

http://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Crank-ETX15L-Battery.html

Excellent quality, FAST and FREE shipping - very happy with it.
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 05:56:42 pm
I replaced my stock battery after about 2 months simply because I despise wet batteries in motorcycles. I replaced it with a Deka XT14AHL-BS AGM battery. It has been remarkable. It's been in my bike for a year and a half, never on a  charger since the initial charge, and has been thoroughly abused. It has been now superceded by the Big Crank ETX 15. I would heartily recommend these. About $70 on line
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 10:08:08 pm
Do you have a suggestion for a replacement battery.  Maybe that is something i should invest in to avoid future  issues

Just another suggestion, mine shipped quick, no hassle, the others are probably good also.  A perfect fit, the posts are on the correct side.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,10901.msg127448.html#msg127448
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 10:10:30 pm by TWinOKC »
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 12:06:41 am
If a regular lead acid battery is fully charged, further charging can cause the cells to rapidly bubble (boil) resulting in low fluid levels.

If it were mine I wouldn't use a battery charger unless I was seeing signs of low battery power.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 01:09:16 am
I won't use a charger with a charging rate greater than .9 amp and reverts to float when the battery is fully charged. I routinely get 8-10 years from a battery.......not kidding. I keep my batteries topped up between rides, it's high charging rates that fry batteries and most charging systems on cars or bikes will put several amps through a low or depleted battery. Letting a battery totally discharge = sulfation = new battery.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 07:55:46 pm
spot-on Squire !

In automotive use batteries get the equivalent of an equalize charge every time the engine is started.....
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:41:56 pm
spot-on Squire !

In automotive use batteries get the equivalent of an equalize charge every time the engine is started.....

Yup. It's like anything else, don't look after it and it won't look after you. I recently replaced the original battery in my 2001 Kawasaki W650, that's over ten years. A lot of my friends average two years from a battery. High charging rates, especially in our small motorcyce batteries and letting batteries run down are the killers. I have a small Yuasa .9 amp charger (as the largest battery manufacturer they should know) and I just move it from bike to bike as needed. I put the bikes on the charger before and after every ride. Some bikes take the battery to full charge when riding and others it takes 2-3 hours on the charger after a ride. Sorry for the rant!!

Pickasaurus

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 01:19:53 am
Thanks for the replies.  Got a new battery today, got it installed and now no bubbling noise when I have it hooked to the Battery Tender.