Author Topic: HELP! Model G Oil Leak from under the Magneto. Why?  (Read 2533 times)

Hobbes64

• Neophyte
on: September 30, 2012, 11:11:53 am
Hi, I have a Model G 1949 that I have been working on and after a ride yesterday oil started to leak from a hole behind the timing cover, it's in the crankcase just below the magneto stand, it looks like a previous owner put a wooden dowel in there, why would oil come out of this hole. See photos. Any help appreciated.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:29:42 pm
I could be wrong but there is a passage in that area to return oil to the reservoir. Maybe somebody drilled a hole in there to see if oil is circulating properly. Then put dowel in there to block leakage.    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:26:30 pm
It was probably drilled through for the initial manufacturing and plugged with a metal plug, which eventually fell out. It looks like a short rivet and some JB Weld would fix it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:28:04 pm
I think Bare is right the only way to know for sure is to send the pictures to Hitchcocks, they would know.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 11:51:18 pm
I'm pretty sure bare is right.

It looks like the site for a tapered pin expansion plug.
Often it is necessary to drill holes for oil or air to get it from one place to another.  The only way to make these transfer holes is to drill them from the outside of the housing but this leaves the hole where the drill bit entered the case.
These small expansion plugs are then inserted into the mouth of the hole and usually expanded with a tapered internal pin.

For a look at these pins follow this link:
http://www.leeimh.com/metal/betaplug-expansion-plugs/betaplug-expansion-plugs.htm

As bare suggested, degreasing the mouth of the hole and epoxying in a metal plug or rivet that fits will fix the problem.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary