Author Topic: Warning  (Read 3229 times)

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
on: September 28, 2012, 06:16:57 am
Just wanted to share a word of warning... I just bought a "brand new" alternator from an ebay seller (Enfield County).  Now I know that ebay sellers aren't known for being the most reputable, but usually I take a bit of caution and have good results.  Anyway, this supposedly new alternator was a fraction of the cost of one from Hitchcock's or NField Gear, so I couldn't pass it up.  What I received was a refurbished piece of crap.  Rusted all over and covered in poly-coat to make it appear a bit shiny. 

I contacted the seller and told them this and they said "This is a new part. There can not be any rust as there is oil on it. We can gaurantee that this is a new product and never used. We sell them regularly. If you are unhappy, you can return it." Okay... clearly it's not new, and it's bone dry, there's not a drop of oil on it. 

So I'm supposed to pay shipping back and forth and probably just receive more crap?  No thanks.  I don't like the idea of poly coat sitting in my primary oil and possibly flaking off all over the gears, clutch, etc.  But I guess I'll run it for now and buy another from Hitchcock's later.  Lesson learned.

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 01:21:37 pm
What is the old saying?   "You get what you pay for"
One thing I learned awhile ago (thanks again to Vince in Lacy) that for basic junk (oil filters name brand fluids) get them from a "cheap source" something that is vital for the operation of your machine obtain from well I prefer Hitchcock.    8)
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:26:04 am
This could actually be a new alternator. Lots of people make alternators for the RE. Kind of a Bad, Sort of Better and Best proposition. In general this style of alternator either has the coils encased in a plastic-like material or open like this one. One train of thought is that the plastic encased ones do not dissipate heat as well. The OEM ones are open like this one. I have seen frames that look like this even on good ones. However what you do have is a poor quality albeit cheap unit. Both Allan Hitchcock and I can buy these units for almost nothing, but why would we? You don't buy from Allan or from your dealer or NField gear for always the cheapest price. You buy because you will get what we say it is and we all stand behind our products. If we sell you a defective product or you don't like it for some reason you can return it. If it is defective we pay the shipping. As in all things it is buyer beware
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 06:34:53 am by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 01:18:46 pm
Kevin when do you sleep?    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 03:58:52 pm
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:11 pm
I too ordered some stuff from Enfield County.  Most of the stuff seems fine though nothing is "vital" to the machine....Although the tappets cover has paint chipping off on the back side....I doubt I'll be putting that on my bike

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 02:19:32 pm
I too ordered some stuff from Enfield County.  Most of the stuff seems fine though nothing is "vital" to the machine....Although the tappets cover has paint chipping off on the back side....I doubt I'll be putting that on my bike

If it is the side that goes "in" it should not be painted. For 1 it will give a Bkad seal" and leak and well if it is chipping stuff will fall in.
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 01:17:18 am
Yea, it's not going on.  Maybe I'll make it into a fridge magnet

Jinx

• Here we go again!
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:41:18 pm
 Looks new to me, they dip electrical components in an epoxy or varnish. I'd run it.
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

2 ways to get to the top of a tree. Sit on an acorn or start climbing!

2008 RE Classic Deluxe
1990 HD FXST-C
1970 HD XLCH
1942 HD WLA
& probably enough parts lying around to make another bike. LOL!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 04:46:06 am
Often the electrical coils on electric motors, generators and alternators are coated with a varnish after they are wound.
The varnish is then baked to dry it.

This keeps the copper wires from vibrating against one another and potentially wearing thru the insulating coating that is on the wires.

The varnish is often not applied with any great precision and it can get on the stator or rotor laminations causing the appearance shown in the photos.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 10:57:47 pm
I know coils are often set with epoxy (or shellac/varnish in the old days) -- I have a background in electronics -- but this thing was clearly sprayed with polyurethane or something like that.  It's not preventing the wraps from moving, and it's all over the core.