Author Topic: Daphne's first...  (Read 1127 times)

PiggyPup

• Scooter
  • And now I see with eye serene...
on: September 28, 2012, 01:38:43 am
OK, so I admit it-  innuendo amuses me.  ANY-hoo...  I have a nice, long day of riding planned for October 6th, and while I know the owner's manual calls for the first oil change at 500 miles, I figured "Heck, why not take care of it now!  Who knows what condition that oil is in?"  Lemme tell ya, that stuff was as black as my wife's heart on the 21st of the month after a pint of vodka and a marathon of "Oprah" reruns!  Just kidding...  NOTHING is that dark!  Seriously, though, while it was sort of dirty, it didn't have the huge metal shavings I feared I would find;  I guess breaking her in gently is working.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 04:45:34 am
Well, actually the first oil and filter change is scheduled at 300 miles (500 kilometers).

I don't know how close you were to 300 miles but if you were close your next scheduled oil/filter change isn't until you get to 2,000 miles (or sooner if you want).

Hopefully, you remembered to check the screen on the second drain plug.
Mine was covered with some sort of fabric stuff that the pump was trying to suck thru the screen.

Happy riding! :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

PiggyPup

• Scooter
  • And now I see with eye serene...
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:45:36 am
Hmmm...  I'll have to be more careful when reading the manual.  I guess I saw the number 500 and just assumed it was miles. :-[  I actually was right at 300 when I did the change, though.  I'm reminded of the commercial for a Time-Life book series I remember from the '80s:  Coincidence?  Or something else??

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 02:59:06 pm
For the first few months after I bought my Bullet, I think I changed my oil like once a week, so paranoid of engine damage I was. Kinda silly looking back I know.
On the other hand, when the cases were split at 24,000 miles for the Fireballing they looked brand new inside. A little prevention went a long way.
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120