Author Topic: The Double Yellow.  (Read 2584 times)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
on: September 26, 2012, 11:00:33 pm
 This morning I headed out early, we're talking 10 til' 6, on my Enfield for my weekly 120 mile "bizness trip." I eventually after some thirty miles here in the twisty Ozarks encountered a couple 'cages' tooling along about 10 miles below the speed limit. I wasn't in a particular hurry but decided to take the opportunity to pass when the lead vehicle made a right hand turn into a driveway. We were doing about 25 miles a hour when I throttled the Enfield hard and passed the cage in front of me. The significance of this event is that it was on a double yellow. I could see down the roadway and knew it would be no problem. But the cage I was passing took offense and decided to swerve onto the left hand lane in an attempt to push me off the roadway. I maneuvered around him and went on my way. My question is am I all wet for not waiting several miles when a proper passing lane presented itself? My skills and bike were up to the task of passing safely even though the highway was marked double yellow. Am I giving motorcyclists a bad name by not abiding by the markings on the highway? If I had been in a cage in the same situation I would of thought nothing about the passing motorsickle. Motorcyclists do have opportunities for passing others in a safe manner despite the highway markings. Should I rethink my riding ethics or not?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:28:36 am by edthetermite »
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:13:55 pm
Doesn't help your situation but here in Vermont it's not illegal, just not recommended to pass on a double yellow line.
Vermont Motorist Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following information is updated periodically. However, laws and regulations can change between updates. State statutes and local ordinances are the ultimate authorities for these issues.

Points of Interest
 •Vermont permits passing on the double yellow line unless a signpost specifically prohibits it for a particular section.
 •It is illegal to coast in neutral.
 •Motorcycle helmets must have reflective patches front and rear.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:34:39 am
Frankly, I think you would more about the other driver's ethics. A little consideration goes along way. The guy was a jerk. Crossing the double yellow in California to pass is illegal, but a few drivers will actually move over so you don't have to cross it. I'm sure there are a few that will make things tough.  They're from the midwest!
In California, splitting lanes is legal, but there are a few jackasses out there that they should control the whole roadway. I think they must be from the midwest. on one of my Oklahoma trips, I was splitting lanes up to an intersection, which really isn't legal, but what's it hurting. Some other jackass was screaming and honking at me like I was mauling his kid! With the number of those Okies that run stop signs and pull out of parking lots in front of you, even when you're in a cage, I don't think they were ever taught anything about driver courtesy.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:33 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTZkZTYkaM&feature=player_embedded

I think there may have been a legal resolution to this one.

Edit:  from Youtube comments:

"He was sentenced Thursday to two years in jail on each of two wanton endangerment counts, 90 days in jail for menacing and a $100 fine for reckless driving."
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:50:30 am by AgentX »

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 05:10:35 pm
Maybe it's not great that you passed on the double yellow, but under no circumstance is it OK to harm another motorist.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 06:04:25 pm
A good reason not to carry a gun, if some guy had been driving like that, then jumped out of his truck carrying a tire iron coming toward me.  Would have been a real bad day for everyone.

Can't we just get along?

Bare, shame on you callin out Oklahoma drivers.  I am not disagreeing with you but there are bad drivers in every state.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 07:26:30 pm
I'm sure there are a few that will make things tough.  They're from the midwest!
With the number of those Okies that run stop signs and pull out of parking lots in front of you, even when you're in a cage, I don't think they were ever taught anything about driver courtesy.
Bare

That's ridiculous. There are assholes & idiots in EVery State. I've driven in all of them. I've lived in a State that's full of them & watched it become a traffic NightMare!. It's a training ground for idiots. Their PARENTS train them! Every time I leave my driveway there's a near-death experience.

I've found FEWer in the Midwest. But they're still there  ;D   

And forget any "driver courtesy" or "rules of the road". They are Long Gone!
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:17:18 pm
Bare, shame on you callin out Oklahoma drivers.  I am not disagreeing with you but there are bad drivers in every state.

Not to pick on Okies specifically. It was just that I was in Oklahoma when I observed all the terrible driving, which was a couple of years ago. I was amazed at how really rude, crude and socially unacceptable some of the drivers were there. I have lived in many other states, and I've seen plenty of bad drivers in all of them, but everyone loves to diss California drivers, but I have them found more courteous, or capable than in many of the other ones. I've lived in OK, TX, WY, KS, FL, VA, NE, IN, and spent a bit of time in others.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 02:25:31 am
A good reason not to carry a gun, if some guy had been driving like that, then jumped out of his truck carrying a tire iron coming toward me.  Would have been a real bad day for everyone.
Actually it is a good reason to carry a gun. ::) The cager had assaulted you with an automobile. Was he only trying to "enforce the double yellow line law?"  :P Was that really his job, or "duty"?
I doubt it unless he was an officer on duty. In that case you would have seen blue lights. No, I do believe it was a "typical case" of an asshole driver. >:( Had he continued his assault... a sidearm could have been most useful.
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 11:32:21 am
Doesn't help your situation but here in Vermont it's not illegal, just not recommended to pass on a double yellow line.
Vermont Motorist Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following information is updated periodically. However, laws and regulations can change between updates. State statutes and local ordinances are the ultimate authorities for these issues.

Points of Interest
 •Vermont permits passing on the double yellow line unless a signpost specifically prohibits it for a particular section.
 •It is illegal to coast in neutral.
 •Motorcycle helmets must have reflective patches front and rear.

That is an interesting aspect to double yellows. It appears to be a general warning about the road instead of a prohibition. Not sure I fully understand the logic.
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 03:13:40 pm
Not sure about the logic but it's nice to be able to pass (when safe) if stuck behind a farm tractor or during leafpeeping season.  It's Vermont logic I guess.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY