Author Topic: Clutch plates  (Read 8701 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 05:14:56 am
Yeah, after taking a close look again, the brass rivets would come into contact with the metal plate long before it wore down to the level of the big iron retaining ring.

Are the rivets designed to wear down along with the friction material?  If so, I still have a problem.  If not, this should work fine for the life of the clutch; the rivets will be causing a problem long before the retaining ring does.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:19:06 am by AgentX »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 01:17:24 pm
As long as the friction material is above the line of the circlip, it should work.

Is it the correct part for that application?
No.
The correct part is Part #144461 Clutch Plate Dished.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:31:01 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 03:44:13 pm
As long as the friction material is above the line of the circlip, it should work.

Is it the correct part for that application?
No.
The correct part is Part #144461 Clutch Plate Dished.

Now, frankly, I'm more worried about those rivets...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:45:02 pm by AgentX »

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 04:07:52 pm
both the 350 and 500 have the dished plates.  memory tells me that the dishes face inward to the center of the clutch.
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 05:43:40 pm
both the 350 and 500 have the dished plates.  memory tells me that the dishes face inward to the center of the clutch.

That's what everything I've read said, also, which is why I was surprised when I took apart my clutch for the first time.  I promptly brought the whole thing, hub and all, to the dealer. (Not to the parts shop who sold me the clutch which I gave to the "mechanic" which may or may not be the one which is actually in the bike, since I didn't watch him take it out of the box and install it, mind you...)

The dealer's parts shop assured me it was correct and that this was a new style not yet in the parts books.  I saw another clutch come out of the box this way at this parts shop, just like mine and the OP's.

It's India...this could be one of many things and I may never know.  So many people regard mechanics as a matter of voodoo, and reaching accord in a conversation is far more important than getting what might be known elsewhere as "facts" or "truth."  But I don't put it past RE to change a design, either.

Edit:  Kevin or any CMW people reading this, care to comment?  Underhill, did you contact them and what'd they say??  Maybe they'd know about a quiet design change the rest of us have not been privvy to.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:46:53 pm by AgentX »

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 03:55:48 am
AgentX,
After I recieved your discription I assumed this was the way the parts came in the box, I have not called Nfieldgear to discuss.  I had a spare dished plate, so I substituted it for the innermost flat plate.
I have attached a photo of the original factory clutch basket.  Note the difference between the original and the replacement (holes drilled in the replacement clutch basket drum, none on the original basket).

Mike,
The innermost "dished plate" should have the raised center fitted toward the mechanic.  I have attached a photo of what happens when the raised center of the innermost dished plate is positioned toward the gearbox. It worked for 100 miles until the rivets ground off and the ball bearings jammed between the basket and clutch center.  I found about 50 of them bouncing around the primary.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:59:00 am by mrunderhill1975a »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 01:39:42 pm
My "theory" on this is that they are running out of spare parts for the Iron Barrel models, and they don't plan to make more spare parts.
So, they are selling off what they have, as best that they can.

There are no 'new designs which haven't yet been put into the parts book' coming out for a bike that was discontinued 4 years ago.
It has been obvious for a couple of years now, that things are drying up for Iron Barrel spares.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 04:20:50 pm
As I stated before, this ongoing post is probably confusing some members. This is a very old design that has been around much longer than I have. You obviously were sold the wrong parts. The correct parts will not break the bank. I would suggest ordering the correct parts which in turn will probably solve your ongoing issues. The other members that have chimed in have given you very good advise. This is a very easy problem to deal with in my opinion. There are many parts manufacturers and vendors in India. Kevin has stated many times that he is always having to find new vendors because of QC problems or whatnot. I can surely believe that it can be a real crap shoot when buying parts in India. You win some and lose some.

Hopefully you guys can get things squared away and get those issues with your clutch packs sorted out soon.

Good luck, Blltrdr

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:51:53 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 03:49:39 pm
My "theory" on this is that they are running out of spare parts for the Iron Barrel models, and they don't plan to make more spare parts.
So, they are selling off what they have, as best that they can.

There are no 'new designs which haven't yet been put into the parts book' coming out for a bike that was discontinued 4 years ago.
It has been obvious for a couple of years now, that things are drying up for Iron Barrel spares.

You know, it occurred to me I've never seen the innards of the 350 UCE clutch.  Maybe the new clutch basket and flat inner plate we're seeing in the RE parts bins both in India and the US are a new design for the UCE and is backwards-compatible with the iron barrels?

No idea, but the question still bugs me.

I got a dished inner plate for about $1 and put it in my clutch to no obvious detriment, but again, the brass pins on the basket's friction material would contact the flat inner plate as it wore away before there was any other interference.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 04:16:20 pm
That thought gives me hope about using the 7-plate clutch from the UCE on some Iron Barrel hot-rods.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 04:35:33 pm
That thought gives me hope about using the 7-plate clutch from the UCE on some Iron Barrel hot-rods.

You mean you don't want to spring for Hitchcocks 550-GBP belt primary and clutch?  :D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 04:45:18 pm
You mean you don't want to spring for Hitchcocks 550-GBP belt primary and clutch?  :D

I already have it, but I bought it from the guy who actually makes it, and not Hitchcock's.
It's made by Bob Newby Racing in the UK.
It's a great unit, and it's used by all the Brit bike racers.

But I look for solutions that the normal Bullet rider will be more able to accept, in terms of price. Unless, there is no suitable alternative that will work. And that often happens when the power levels get higher than a certain amount. Once you go up to that point, it's a matter of what works, and the price isn't any concern.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:47:40 pm by ace.cafe »