Author Topic: Yuasa YTX14AHL-BS  (Read 2859 times)

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
  • The Emperor has no skin.
on: November 11, 2012, 03:47:32 am
After four years she died. Won't take a charge. I like that it is an American product so I will be inclined to replace it with the same thing. Odyssey batteries are also highly rated and I have one in my Ural but they are very pricey. Decisions, decisions. Not having an e-start any longer may mean I can get by with less. If I knew for sure the Odyssey would do ten years, as claimed by some, I don't think I could resist getting one.

Update: Odyssey batteries are all too long to fit our trays.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:17:24 am by edthetermite »
Ed   - Long Live the Iron Barrel !!!!

2008 Military RE "535"    2006 Ural Gear Up

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 11:56:04 am
Has anyone looked at Shorai or Ballistic lithium type batteries? Much smaller and in most cases more cranking power as well as light weight compare to lead-acid type, and they can be mounted in any position . Might be something to consider when relocating the battery to the toolbox or other area.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/li-ion-motorcycle-battery/shorai-vs-ballistic-li-ion-motorcycle-battery.htm
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:59:06 am by cafeman »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 01:09:25 pm
The Kick Start models have a 5 amp-hour battery in them.  You don't need 14 amp-hour with a kickstart only bike.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:21:41 am
The Kick Start models have a 5 amp-hour battery in them.  You don't need 14 amp-hour with a kickstart only bike.

This is true. But I can tell you for a fact that a non-charging 14 amp hour Yuasa will take you close to 200 miles w/o a charge to it. I got within 4 miles of the house before mine went below the 'sufficient spark' threshold. The wife was not thrilled to help me load the bike in the pickup.  ;D

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 03:26:45 pm
I just installed another Yuasa 14ahl as the Bike Master Gel battery crapped out just after a year..In addition, I  picked up a schumaker load tester on sale for 20 bucks....Too many machines with batteries not to have one....GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

edthetermite

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 04:18:39 am
I just installed another Yuasa 14ahl as the Bike Master Gel battery crapped out just after a year..In addition, I  picked up a schumaker load tester on sale for 20 bucks....Too many machines with batteries not to have one....GM

Load Testers are great and not an arm and a leg to buy....