Author Topic: chrome on CG and G5  (Read 1524 times)

powder22

• Scooter
on: September 25, 2012, 04:12:26 am
can any advise if the up keep on the chrome is time consuming I do like the look of the chromed out bikes but wouldn't not want to be a slave to the up keep if it is considerable thanks

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:01:12 am
Chrome, by its basic nature does not tarnish or rust.

That said, the chrome on the RE is very thin and doesn't provide the protection it should.

My G5 Deluxe has gobs of chrome on it and none of it has had a rust problem but I live in a very dry area which doesn't get much rain.
Perhaps more importantly, I use Meguiar's "Gold Class" carnauba auto wax on my chrome plated and painted parts.
A good quality wax will totally seal the chrome and paint preventing oxygen or water from getting to the steel surface under the plating.
It takes perhaps 5 minutes to apply and wipe the wax off of the body parts and fenders and these top of the line waxes will last over 2 months before they need to be rewaxed.

With painted or chrome plated parts it is important to use a auto wax that is made for a 'clear coat' paint job.
These waxes do not have any abrasives in them so they won't scratch the surfaces.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:59:23 am
can any advise if the up keep on the chrome is time consuming I do like the look of the chromed out bikes but wouldn't not want to be a slave to the up keep if it is considerable thanks

I have the 2012 C5 Chrome/Black Special and I love it.  I've put a couple thousand miles on it since the end of July and spend very little time with upkeep. A quick wipedown every now and then, I've only waxed it once.  All and all it doesn't seem to take much to keep it looking new-ish.  It's not like a car, relatively small surface area.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY