Author Topic: B5 and old-fashioned solo seat  (Read 5745 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: September 21, 2012, 09:49:11 pm
There's a few mentions of B5's and solo seats - here's mine!

I ordered both the Old-Fashioned Solo Seat and the Deluxe solo seat from NField Gear, planning to try out the looks and feel of each.  I found the Deluxe comfortable in exactly one spot, with no allowance for changing position.  The old-fashioned lets me slide forward or back just a little bit - enough to tip the scale in the comfort department.

I like the look; I have an motorbike-riding friend visiting from Scotland, and he says for looks it's no contest, the old-fashioned.  I think he's right!

And, I love the springs - they really ease the ride after the hard factory B5 seat.

The build quality leaves room for improvement - The holes in the brackets that mount the springs to the frame line up perfectly, but the angle wasn't quite right, so when I tightened down the "vertical" nuts holding the front of the brackets, the brackets bent to conform and their paint cracked and chipped.  Also, the seat's frame is crooked enough that I had to stack a pile of 1/4-20 washers on one spring to level the seat on the bike - see photo.

So far, though, I'm happy with the looks and the comfort!

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:28 pm
that looks good.
espically with the 7", brow and barends.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:55:23 pm
Your bike is too clean.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:11:09 am
That old fashioned solo seat really compliments your bike. Did it take long to get ?
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 10:33:58 am
That bike is so cool and so clean.......do you ever get to ride it ??

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 12:33:38 pm
Geez, you guys - too clean!?!  Is there no pleasing you people?!?  ;)

The bike has about 650 miles on it  (almost 200 of those miles were one round-trip ride to the "dealer" for it's first "service") - I've had it for, let's see...  almost a month!!!  How is that possible?  It seems like I've been riding it all summer!  No wonder it's so clean.  I've gotten caught in the rain twice, but I have ridden to work in some morning fog, which still gets everything wet.  I promise I'll work harder on dirtying it up!

Jack: I placed the order, which included both solo seats, a couple different luggage racks, and the headlight/visor, on Monday, Sept 10.  Everything was in stock and the box was waiting for me when I got home from work on Friday the 14th.  So I'd have to say... no, it didn't take long.

Working on the luggage rack problem now - I don't like any of the black ones available stateside that "fit" my bike (the NField Gear one will need some serious bending of supports to fit); I really like the chrome one that fits the C5, but of course it doesn't "plug-and-play" on the B5.  GlennF's dealer managed it:

(http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14945.msg159901.html#msg159901)

but it's a close call on the fender clearance.  The rack I got seems a bit shorter and is going to need some sort of bracket extensions to fit without interfering with the fender...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 03:09:28 pm
Not to be "nerdly" or anything, but that "old fashioned seat" is actually a copy of the vintage "Lycette saddle" that was original on some of the 50s Royal Enfields, and even before.

Lycette manufactured spring seats for many British bicycles and motorcycles back in "the day".

And yes, it does look nice on that B5.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 04:05:59 pm
I'd like to have one of those seats!  This one is made in India, with the usual attention to quality and detail (sorry, India).  As it is, I can buy a Lycette label for the seat, but I don't think anyone will be fooled...

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 10:11:32 pm
Yeah, and since it is level they would know it's not a genuine 50's seat. ;D ;D ;D

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 09:48:49 pm
Those seats aren't for everyone but I love mine! Quality is good, especially the vinyl which holds up better than most lycett copies. They require a bit of attention though. I took a countersink bit and cleaned up the holes on the bright center piece where the spring terminate at the middle and re-bent the wire ends that come out of the springs to even out the tension between springs. Re-bending the wires work hardened them and a few broke so I had to replace the wires with heavier gauge finish nails.  Seems like alot of trouble but it's easy to do and well worth it.  I have over 8000 miles on my seat and it is good as new. It really gives a comfy vintage feel to the bike. You just bounce down bumpy roads and the springs take the pain out of pot-holes!

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 12:17:20 am
Geez, you guys - too clean!?!  Is there no pleasing you people?!?  ;)

I spray mine with ACF50 which serves two purposes, firstly protecting from corrosion and in addition giving it that authentic 1950s British oil soaked look. The UCE Enfields do not leak enough oil to look "authentic".

Now all I need is a can of "Lucas Smoke".

The seat looks good by the way.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 02:46:26 am
Does anyone know if those vintage style solo saddles will fit on the C5?  Nfield gear does not list them as compatible.....
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 04:17:26 am
Does anyone know if those vintage style solo saddles will fit on the C5?  Nfield gear does not list them as compatible.....
Neither does Hitchkocks. You might have to get creative.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 07:49:18 am
No they do not. I have tried to no avail.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011