Author Topic: smoking upon start up  (Read 1771 times)

Howie

• Scooter
on: September 25, 2012, 02:43:19 am
Let me preface my question with the fact that you guys are the best with your in-sight and willingness to help.  I have an 07 iron and I haven't been able to ride it more than once a week sometimes longer.  When starting it, I see some smoking but after running it for a few miles it appears to stop.  Is this evidence of some wet sumping going on.  Howie

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:15:14 am
You are correct, that is wet sumping.  To reduce this effect, try placing the piston at top dead center after your ride. In this position, the crank is at its highest position and least likely to allow oil to dribble into the sump.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:18:18 am
Also, when wet sumping has occurred, keep engine revs to the minimum until the scavenge pump has cleared the crank cases of excess oil. With cold oil going through the feed pump and surplus cold oil going through the scavenge pump, the vulnerable oil pump worm drive will be under maximum stress.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 01:20:58 pm
Sometimes it can be just some condensed water inside the muffler which boils off and produces steam.
After a couple of minutes of heat, it's all gone.
If you are starting the bike up cold, and the temp is lower than the dew point, it can have some water inside the pipe and muffler.

It can be wet sumping too, but it's not always that.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Howie

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 04:09:49 am
Thanks once more.  Yooze guys are da best. Howie