Author Topic: gaitors on a c5  (Read 4767 times)

motorat

• Grease Monkey
on: September 24, 2012, 06:55:39 pm
do you know if i could fit the rectifer cover piece from a g5 and run gaitors on a c5.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 01:48:15 am
I'm pretty sure that you can go from the metal covers to gaitors but not the other way around as the G5 fork lowers are too big fit inside the tubes.  I would use bmw gaitors or something other than the enfield ones.  They are almost cracked through on one side and only two years old on my bike.

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 02:08:00 am
thanks...i have some that i bought for my bonnie but never used.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:34:11 am
well, lets revive another old thread...only because I see no need to reinvent the wheel....

Did anyone ever actually accomplish this?

I've been wanting to fit gaitors on my c5 ever since I got it.
obviously (like stated earlier) the rectifier cover is fitted to the fork covers so that in particular is holding me back.
any luck motorat?

after gaitors I'm looking for a custom top yoke and headlight with a bracket instead of the stock set up.
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:15:11 pm
well, lets revive another old thread...only because I see no need to reinvent the wheel....

Did anyone ever actually accomplish this?

I've been wanting to fit gaitors on my c5 ever since I got it.
obviously (like stated earlier) the rectifier cover is fitted to the fork covers so that in particular is holding me back.
any luck motorat?

after gaitors I'm looking for a custom top yoke and headlight with a bracket instead of the stock set up.

I did it last year, and it worked out pretty well. If memory serves....... I needed longer bolts through the R/R cover and clamps. And I had to use a few washers  as spacers/stand offs to clear the top of the rubber gaiter. Of course, you will need to remove your forks to do it..........
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:34:30 pm
do you have any pictures that I could use as a guide?

and any tips on finding the G5 rectifier cover that I will need?

This is going to be my next mod. misewell replace the fork oil at the same time too.

thanks for your reply and any future help
-brandon
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

motorat

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:10 pm
i was waiting to see if a fork brace came available then that would work as the lower spot. i think you will still need to get the rec-cover from a g5 for the top.

i was going to get some but the bike started having issues and i got distracted.
Joe
08 dl650abs
 c5 military

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 11:52:43 pm
yeah, I'm thinking about calling the dealership to get a black G5 rectifier cover and gaiters. that's probably my best bet.

do you think it would need a fork brace? my C5 has the updated straight forks....
I have considered getting one but we all know that hitchcocks is the only one that currently offers one and it's pretty expensive....unless someone got the measurements out to the other company that makes them(can't remember their name right now)
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:25:02 am
do you have any pictures that I could use as a guide?

and any tips on finding the G5 rectifier cover that I will need?

This is going to be my next mod. misewell replace the fork oil at the same time too.

thanks for your reply and any future help
-brandon

No problem Brandon.  Not sure why you would need a B-5 cover ? But here is a pic of my C-5..... or what use to be. That's the stock C-5 Cover on there.

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:33:36 am
it's beautiful.

thanks for the picture...
I guess I just thought that the C5 cover would get in the way of the gaiters but as you clearly stated earlier and showed in your picture it can be done with the longer bolts and whatnot.

it looks like I will be ordering some gaiters. probably from hitchcocks.
Thanks again for the picture.... gaiters just fit the bike so much more IMO
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 02:44:57 am
  No problem Brandon.  Not sure why you would need a B-5 cover ? But here is a pic of my C-5..... or what use to be. That's the stock C-5 Cover on there.

Oooh la la ! Aint that a beauty ? Got more pics of that bike GHG?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 03:09:46 am
Gaiters do give it tha proper cafe look but I saw a Continental in silver with covered forks. It looked really good.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 04:44:16 am
  Yes, I agree Scott.  Either would work well, and I debated whether to use use the gators or not.  The C-5 does have really nice front end to begin with.

Thanks Brandon for the kind words , and i'm glad you like it....... We put a lot of work into it.

And here you go 1 thump, I have a slew of them.... When i get a chance i'll post some more up, and  a write up on the build..... If I ever get out of the garage !  LOL !

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 07:37:12 am
Really awesome bike, thanks for posting the pictures.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 07:58:21 am
it looks like hitchcocks have all the parts I will need (short tube covers and the gaiters) so hopefully I can tackle this project soon.

roughly $47 for the parts.

kinda sucks that I  have to take the forks off but two birds one stone, fork oil and the gaiters.

2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton