Author Topic: Which variable that is the question....  (Read 2112 times)

Lady_Enfield

• Scooter
  • Bluce
on: September 22, 2012, 04:10:15 am
I do not know which variable is affecting my life (bike) but this the metropolis we broke down in.  Without any warning the bike died.  And would not restart.  Had to be trailered home.  Since I am not a mechanic. (know enough to be dangerous) Although I possess tools and a couple repair manuals I should be able to figure this out.  WRONG!  I have checked spark, have cleaned and regapped spark plug to .70mm, when I pulled plug originally it was dry (not getting fuel?), drained tank (crappy gas?), cleaned filter that is up in tank, cleaned and removed petcock, checked for gas flow (yes), removed carb-cleaned changed jets while I was in there....and now...she won't start (still).  This bike sat all winter in a shed type structure and it was chocked full of condensation.  It is possible that??  I have no clue...any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Tonight it sounded like it wanted to start but it is backfiring through air filter/toolbox.

I am Multi-FUNctional!

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 04:46:54 am
What a cool place to break down.... Is that real?You've covered everything I would have but what about compression ,maybe check the valve adjustment.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

Lady_Enfield

• Scooter
  • Bluce
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 05:05:31 am
Unfortunately it is very real.  Crummy thing only 3 miles from my house....but all uphill from there.  I will check valves tomorrow! Good thinking. 
I am Multi-FUNctional!

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:41:29 pm
I had similar issue and after few mins of inspection.. I figured that the issue was with the spark cable. Not of that great quality, thanks to RE. I figured this out when I pulled the spark plug off the head and plugged it to the cable.. kicked it and no spark! Next I opened the cable's head part where there is a joining.. I pulled the wire and reconnected the same directly to the pin inside the plug wire cap. Kicked it again and voila!

Maybe you should check the cable once.

-Sanket

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 11:09:42 pm
Your spark plug uses its cap?  Interesting.
The metal shielded spark plug end of my UCE spark plug wire requires that spark  plug cap to be removed to be able to install it on the spark plug.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 07:13:41 am
Not a cap but a cap type thingy :) I donno the exact name of it tho.