Author Topic: Boyer Battery Charging Fun  (Read 3704 times)

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
on: September 21, 2012, 12:12:45 am
OK, I'm having Battery issues and they Boyer Ignition doesn't like it.  Been reading past posts on this and know that the Boyer likes a well charged battery.  Well for whatever reason the battery is not staying charged.  I just rode 2 hours with a well charged battery (24 hour charge) and at the end the Boyer was acting up (hard start, dying).  Granted, I do a ton of city riding (New York), all stop and go.  But this shouldn't be happening should it?  I did a long ride out to Bear Mountain without any issues but it seems like if I'm running around the city my battery does not charge.  And with the Boyer it's horrible.    All starts well then you can see the battery fading in the ammeter.  Then get back to the bike after a coffee and no start.  Ugh.

Regarding the ammeter, I have no idea what it should look like with this Boyer deal.  With points I can tell when it's charging but with the Boyer it doesn't seem to be charging very high on the ammeter (if that makes sense).

Any suggestions on how to deal with the problem.  I have a new battery -- this one:

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYT5L-BS.html

The Boyer is a Mark 3.  Also, when I was looking at the electrical I noticed that the regulator was not bolted in properly.  I bolted it in -- no change.  I have a regulator/rectifier combo -- I'm thinking of replacing them.  Had so many rectifier problems in India so maybe that's it?

What Else?

Its a 2003 Iron

Thanks

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 12:25:07 am
Perhaps you just need a better battery. Get a good AGM battery and your problems will probably be solved. It sounds like your battery has sulfated and won't hold a charge. If yours is anything like a stock RE battery, those things are notably shortlived.
A Boyer doesn't really use that much juice, but they do require 12 volts of it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:45:02 am
Wouldn't hurt to check your entire charging system.
It sounds like it might be that.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 02:54:04 am
Nothing was said about the headlight that is on the bike.

Some people install 65 watt and higher wattage bulbs in their headlight and I don't think the RE charging system is up to that, especially at idle and just off idle speeds.

I have a 40 watt headlight bulb in my 2011 G5 and at a stop light the system voltage is only 12 volts which means the battery isn't being charged.  If I hit the brake lever or my turn signal is blinking the voltage drops below 12 volts.

I suggest buying a low cost volt/ohm multi-meter and checking the voltage at the battery with the engine off, with the engine at an idle and with the engine running faster than an idle.

There should be 12 volts or more with everything off.
At an idle there should be 12 volts or more even with a low battery charge.
At speeds faster than an idle the voltage should be over 13 volts.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 03:49:19 pm
+1 Arizoni. Didn't Singh have a video on this?
Robert.

PiggyPup

• Scooter
  • And now I see with eye serene...
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 06:34:27 pm
Hey, NYC, this doesn't pertain to your post, but I notice that you are another Bullet rider in my vicinity.  I have a friend who lives in Cresskill with an Enfield, and I'm hoping that we will be able to take a nice fall foliage ride in a week or so.  Would you care to join us? 

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:18:44 pm
Oops, I missed that you already had a new battery, However 4AH may not be enough to do the job. You probably need at least 8AH.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 10:18:47 pm
Thanks guys.  I'll check the bulb and get a multi-meter.

I'll probably get a better battery as well.  Any suggestions on what/where to buy?

Yes piggypup I'd be down for a ride.  I try and make it up to bear mountain as much as possible.  Let me know when you are thinking.  I'm busy for the next week or two but sometime early oct would be rad.

PiggyPup

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 05:02:52 am
OK, well, Saturdays are the best days for me, although Sunday afternoons are OK too.  I like the Bear Mountain area, and I spend a lot of time riding around Harriman Park-  up and down 17 through Tuxedo and Sloatsburg, stop in at Rhodes Tavern to show off my bike, maybe buzz over to Greenwood Lake for a cup of coffee by the water.  Actually thought about exploring some new country, going on up to US-6 and heading toward Port Jervis.  What do you think?

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 05:16:41 am
Thanks guys.  I'll check the bulb and get a multi-meter.

I'll probably get a better battery as well.  Any suggestions on what/where to buy?

Yes piggypup I'd be down for a ride.  I try and make it up to bear mountain as much as possible.  Let me know when you are thinking.  I'm busy for the next week or two but sometime early oct would be rad.
I've been using this for the last two years. Comes in versions for kick only or 'lecktrikal start. Holds a charge really well with no maintenance if necessary for weeks at a time. Fits in your toolbox and is a third the weight of the original battery.
http://www.motobattbatteries.com/motorcycle-battery/royal-enfield/500cc/royal-enfield-all-kick-start-models-2000-2003.html
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 05:20:49 am
Hey, NYC, this doesn't pertain to your post, but I notice that you are another Bullet rider in my vicinity.  I have a friend who lives in Cresskill with an Enfield, and I'm hoping that we will be able to take a nice fall foliage ride in a week or so.  Would you care to join us?
Hey, can I get in on this?
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

PiggyPup

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 12:01:11 pm
Yes, Chuck, that would be great!  My Email is apgalentine@gmail.com -  NYC, take note-  so drop me a line, we can exchange numbers and set up the day for the ride.  Anyone else in the North Jersey/ Greater NY area, please join us!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 09:10:13 pm
I have Deka 14AH AGM battery in my G5. It's been in there for a year and a half and has been totally abused. Never been charged or out of the bike since I put it in. Never failed me. I've let the bike set for 2 or three weeks at a time working on electrical stuff, and the battery keeps on ticking!
However, I've heard good things about Scorpians, but a 4AH battery just isn't enough to stay charged with the headlight and Boyer going. You need I would think a minimum of 8AH. The lighting itself will probably pull 5 or 6 amps alone.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 12:37:28 am
Great.  Thanks for all the help guys.  New battery on it's way -- 12V 14AH.  No messin around this time.  Gonna pick up a Multimeter and sort this out proper.  My friend sent me this fault finding diagram for electrical problems.  Seems good and thought I'd share for people who  have similar problems in the future.

Thanks again.