Author Topic: Luggage rack for C5  (Read 20404 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 03:14:09 pm
check this out. it attaches to shock bolt and black frame rail.you can buy it here in oz  for $80 plus postage to the usa

That mounts the same as this one below (from NField Gear) on my '08 AVL Classic. Are the C5's rear end & the AVL Classic's the same?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 03:39:24 pm
            That mounts the same as this one below (from NField Gear) on my '08 AVL Classic. Are the C5's rear end & the AVL Classic's the same?

Not the same?  Yours attaches to what looks like seat mounts in back, and the front arms come down inside the "fender rails" (for lack of a better term?) to attach to the shock mounts.

The C5 one clamps to the rails in back, and the front arms come down outside the fender rails.  From the photo, it doesn't look like there's room for the arms to come down between the rail and fender...

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 03:39:52 pm
Would you be able to post a photo of how you mounted it?  That's the rack (well, one of them) that I got, hoping to make it work on the B5, but it really doesn't fit:

I'll take a couple of pix and post later this evening.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 05:50:57 pm
Not the same?  Yours attaches to what looks like seat mounts in back, and the front arms come down inside the "fender rails" (for lack of a better term?) to attach to the shock mounts.

The C5 one clamps to the rails in back, and the front arms come down outside the fender rails.  From the photo, it doesn't look like there's room for the arms to come down between the rail and fender...

No. Mine do not mount to the seat mounts. They mount to the shock studs with different design studs that come with the rack.

But you are right in that they mount differently relative to the fender rails.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 06:13:26 pm
           No. Mine do not mount to the seat mounts.

Ah so.  It's hard to see in that pic what's happening beneath that reflector button on the rack's rear arm!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 06:35:59 pm
Ah so.  It's hard to see in that pic what's happening beneath that reflector button on the rack's rear arm!

It's very simple!

There are tabs on the rails. The tabs have holes in them. A short bolt goes through the hole in the tab & the hole in the rack's rear leg. A nut goes on the bolt. A reflector is JBWelded to the head of each bolt.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 07:31:45 pm
Well, I have tabs on the rails, too.  They're seat mounts.  The rear of the factory double seat mount on those tabs.  Hence my assumption that they were seat mounts.  ;)  But apples and oranges; there's a lot of differences between our models which make fitting stuff a pain...

My rack, that's suppose to fit my bike, lines up perfectly with those seat mount tabs on the back; it's the front that's the trouble.  The rack came with bolts and spacers that slide over the bolts, but I can't make them work in any configuration...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 08:19:20 pm
Well, I have tabs on the rails, too.  They're seat mounts.  The rear of the factory double seat mount on those tabs.  Hence my assumption that they were seat mounts.  ;)  But apples and oranges; there's a lot of differences between our models which make fitting stuff a pain...

My rack, that's supposed to fit my bike, lines up perfectly with those seat mount tabs on the back; it's the front that's the trouble.  The rack came with bolts and spacers that slide over the bolts, but I can't make them work in any configuration...

Sorry - I thought you meant my fronts were mounted to the seat mounts. Of course, they're not.

Yes. My fender rails have the same tabs & yes, they would be for the solo pillion seat.

The AVL rack mounts with its front legs on the shock studs. The rack came with very well designed aftermarket shock studs that worked perfectly & that allow the front legs of the rack to be attached with no fuss whatsoever. The OEM shock studs can be put on a shelf somewhere.

The rear legs of the rack then line up perfectly with the tabs that are there for either the dual seat or the rear solo seat.

I don't have a clue about the C5 (although the mounting looks similar) & I see now I should have stayed out of it & ignored the whole subject.   

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 10:14:09 pm
The rack would fit my mountings perfectly, but the original Bullet humped rear fender interferes.

But this isn't about the original Bullet or the B5, so I guess I should keep out of it, too!!!

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 01:40:01 am
Not the best shot but here is the rack I purchased from CMW mounted on my C5.  As you can see the rear legs were a little short so I made a couple of adaptors (pieces of aluminum cut in a half circle shape) drilled out and bolted on.  Dressed it up a little with the acorn nuts.

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: September 26, 2012, 02:08:16 am
bluesdaddy2-

Thanks for posting the pics.  I see the problems inherent with trying to mount that rack on my B5 - that high fender being the primary offender.

But, what are the two clamps (round with plastic chafing gear) I see attached to the side rails of your rack?  They don't appear to be holding anything...

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 11:46:50 am
bluesdaddy2-
But, what are the two clamps (round with plastic chafing gear) I see attached to the side rails of your rack?  They don't appear to be holding anything...

Those (showing) are two of four acorn capped studs that I have mounted strategically to act as a point for a rope or bungee cord to attach and/or tie off when securing something on the rack.

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #27 on: September 26, 2012, 11:18:00 pm
Those (showing) are two of four acorn capped studs that I have mounted strategically to act as a point for a rope or bungee cord to attach and/or tie off when securing something on the rack.

Aha.  Smart - I like it...

Dannyboy

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: September 27, 2012, 12:25:11 pm
I have a C5 with the factory pillion seat fitted. Has anyone got one of these with a rack. Would be interested to see some pictures so I can consider options. I have got a tail pack but would rather have a rack to go with the traditional look.

Regards,

Dan.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #29 on: September 27, 2012, 04:31:31 pm
I have the Hitchcock rear rack on my 2012 C5, fits perfectly and looks great...[*snip*]...model # 92740.

I wish they had a chromed version; black would look like a$$ on Fiona. Maybe I'll get one, bead-blast it to bare steel, and nickel-plate it myself.  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:33:52 pm by The_Rigger »
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)