Author Topic: Removing carrier plate in 5 speed transmission  (Read 1856 times)

tanker

• Scooter
on: September 22, 2012, 09:36:38 pm
I'm in the process of replacing the kick start pawl in my 2006 Electra (AVL w/5 speed).  I am following Pete Snidal's manual and am at the point where I should be able to remove the carrier plate (Step 9 in his process).  The rocker shaft has been removed and the main shaft nut and 4 nuts on the carrier plate have been removed.  Is there a "trick" to getting the carrier plate to come off?  I have the kickstart lever reinstalled to give me something to pull on and wiggle the assembly but so far no joy.  I read another post where a little too much force may have been used and the poster ended up having to replace the carrier plate because one of the arms cracked.  I'd rather not do that, so if someone out there has been down this road before, I would like to hear how you got the carrier plate off.  Thanks!
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

KB8ANY

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:39:33 pm
My bike is a 2006 Electra X.  I've had this plate off, and was impressed by the closeness of fit.  This was two years ago and I have to look at the parts catalog to refresh my memory.  Like everything else on this bike, after you've done it once you will never again need the manual.

The illustration shows one nyloc nut on the mainshaft: #550025.

There are the four nuts you have taken off, #550043.

There are also two dowels (#550094/a) that locate the plate on the side of the transmission box; the illustration shows them on the bottom right and top left, and it looks like they are under the washers for two of the holding nuts.  I remember that these two are the cause of the problem you are having, simply because the tolerances are so close that the plate does not want to rock with them in there.  This is good and why the dowels are there: you don't want the plate to rock when the transmission is doing its thing.

These two dowels, plus the fact that with the thick transmission fluid all over everything the air can't get between the mating surfaces, is why the plate does not want to come off.  I tried the kickstart lever trick and don't recommend it.  I recommend using your fingers on the outer edges of the plate like a pull tool, tugging and rocking, then moving to a different location and tugging again.  Put your hands 180 degrees apart, and rock, too.  Be careful - on my bike the inside edges are very sharp.  Not burred - sharp.  I ended up using clean work gloves.  Don't pry with anything, and it might be wise to have a helper stand on the other side of the bike and hold it upright, or tie the bike firmly in place.

The tolerances for the two dowels are so close that you will have trouble getting them back in, even though you are sitting there looking right at the assembly.

Whenever I get the chance I recommend getting the spare parts catalogue (sic.)  The dealer gave me a copy with the bike, and it is worth its weight in all the manuals in the world.  The illustrations are so good that if you had to you could get by just with it.

Anyway, this is what I remember.  Work slowly and watch what you are doing, and above all DO NOT pry with anything.  Good luck.

Paul

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:28:07 pm
Thanks for the reply.  I noticed the two dowels are inset in the carrier plate, so removing them to make the job easier looks like it is out of the question.  The "glove" tip is a good one as the back edges are indeed sharp, putting much pressure there with bare fingers will result in some nasty cuts.  I purchased both the parts manual and service manual shortly after purchasing the bike and found the exploded parts diagrams extremely helpful, especially when instructions reference part numbers from two different sections, as Snidal's do in this case.  I have the bike tied down so it won't move, but pulling on the carrier plate hasn't moved it at all.  This might take two people, one to pull on the plate and one to lightly tap the plate to loosen it.  Thanks again for sharing.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 06:10:06 pm
Update - it's off   :)  I had a two jaw gear puller and was just checking to see if it would fit behind the plate and it was a tight fit on the right side.  In the process of trying to fit the lip of the puller behind the plate, it wedged it just enough to pop the carrier plate loose.  From that point it slid off easily.  Problem is not with the pawl itself, as it turns out, but the plunger/spring assembly that pushes the pawl outward.  It was stuck in.  I'm a little surprised at that as I have changed the gearbox oil every time I change the engine oil and the oil has never looked dirty.  In any event, the pawl looks fine so I'll clean up the plunger and hole that it sits in and reassemble so I can ride again.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing