Author Topic: So, What Will You Do With The Rest?  (Read 4412 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:51 am
I don't know if anyone here has seen this new Environmental Agency rule yet.

It basically says if you buy your fuel from a  pump that delivers both E10 and E15 gasoline (10% ethanol and 15% ethanol),  you must buy at least 4 gallons.

Here's a link to some comments about this stupid idea

http://www.marklevinshow.com/goout.asp?u=http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/14/republicans-criticize-four-gallon-epa-gas-purchase-mandate/

I suppose that after filling my tank with the 2 -2 1/2 gallons I could just pour the rest of the fuel on the ground.  I suppose the EPA has a rule against that though.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:28:19 am
What reason did EPA give for this?  Not that they have to have a reason behind anything they do.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 12:14:36 am
 The gas station pumps that have the ability to mix ethanol can't keep the concentrations straight at quantities of less than 4 gallons .

Over 10% voids lots of warranties.

EPA made this mandate in order to prevent class action lawsuits.

Buy less than 4 gallons and any damages to your vehicle or power equipment are your problem.

Drug makers are doing the same thing by telling all the side effects of their medications in the commercials.

If you buy the gas or take the pill when the warnings are given then you accept the consequences.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 01:40:30 am
Part of the problem is that lots of gas stations are going to single nozzle pumps which means you'll get a not insignificant leftover quantity of whatever the last guy bought. With a say, 4 gallon tank (assuming you run it dry) that could be a problem. >:(
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 02:34:07 am
In my area, there are plenty of gas stations which sell gasoline without any ethanol.
That's where I buy my gas.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 03:30:46 am
In my area, there are plenty of gas stations which sell gasoline without any ethanol.

+1  The funny part is the 10 cent rule. 

If regular (with ethanol) is $2.00 per gal, pure gas is $2.10

If regular (with ethanol) is $3.00 per gal regular is $3.10

ethanol is now $3.62 here and guess what regular is $3.72

I am not very smart, just tryin to get by.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:44:34 am
Ice:
Everything you mention may be true but just where does that leave you when the only gas available is an alcohol/gas mix from a dual fuel pump?
If you ran it bone dry,  your motorcycles gas tank cannot possibly hold the full 4 gallons you will be required to buy .

It wouldn't surprise me a bit for a filling station to refuse to sell you fuel if it came to selling you less than the mandate and violating the EPA's law or not selling you any fuel and complying with the law.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 10:45:39 am
+1  The funny part is the 10 cent rule. 

If regular (with ethanol) is $2.00 per gal, pure gas is $2.10

If regular (with ethanol) is $3.00 per gal regular is $3.10

ethanol is now $3.62 here and guess what regular is $3.72

I am not very smart, just tryin to get by.

You'll actually get more miles per gallon out of the non-ethanol gas, which makes the extra dime worth spending. Plus fewer bad side effects without ethanol.

We don't have the "ten cent rule" around here, but things vary around the country.

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 03:12:12 pm
Here in lower westchester ny we only have ethanol fuel.  It sucks and when they go to e15 it will suck more.  If they have a 4 gallon rule you are going to see alot of people spillling gas on the ground from the gas cans they fill up and then spill at hom when the top off their bikes.  I live near a HD shop, I wonder if they will start selling gas shares, like you put 2 gallons in your bike and we will credit you 2 gallons the next time you come by?  Might be a plan.

Samgar
2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 04:53:16 pm
I can hear it now.
One Rikers Island inmate says to the other, "What are you in for?"
The other one says, "Attempted 3-gallon gas purchase. I get out in 2020."

Looks to me like the ones who need to be in jail are the ones who are making the rules.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 07:47:44 pm
Looks to me like the ones who need to be in jail are the ones who are making the rules.

+1
Truer words were seldom spoken.
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 09:37:46 pm
In California we already have the e10 mandated so it's mixed before it gets to the service station so we might not be effected by a 4 gallon minimum mandate.  If we do about the only way I can think of to cope is to get a 5 gallon gas can and fill at home from that. There should be alot of 4 to 5 gallon gas cans available if this goes through. Probably alot of bikes will go to 5 gallon gas tanks.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 11:34:20 pm

Elections coming.  Can't put them in jail but we can vote them out.  The AMA has been watching this one closely.  Join!  They have a good magazine and the 10% discount with Bike Bandit more than pays for my subscription every year.

Andy
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 08:08:49 pm
Ice:
Everything you mention may be true but just where does that leave you when the only gas available is an alcohol/gas mix from a dual fuel pump?
If you ran it bone dry,  your motorcycles gas tank cannot possibly hold the full 4 gallons you will be required to buy .

It wouldn't surprise me a bit for a filling station to refuse to sell you fuel if it came to selling you less than the mandate and violating the EPA's law or not selling you any fuel and complying with the law.

It leaves those bikes with less than 5 gallon gas tanks high and dry in my estimation.

I am not crazy about the idea of being forced to carry a gas can on my Bullet for the extra.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 07:03:12 pm

Is there a list of non-e10 gas pumps somewhere?  I have yet to find a gas station selling anything else.  Even VP100 I believe has ethanol.