Author Topic: Small oil filter o ring  (Read 6889 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 04:49:57 am
Yah.  A few days ago when I changed my oil and filter I looked for the "small O-ring" and found it under the silver washer.
The silver washer is spring loaded against the O-ring and the only way to get to it is to disassemble the spring loaded cap.
Why anyone would ever want to do that is beyond me.  That O-ring will last 30 years if it is left alone.

I'm pretty sure your gold (brass?) washer is mounted correctly in the photo.
The big O-ring between the washer and the filter sits outside the "bump" on the washer, being almost equal to the outside diameter of the gold washer.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 04:58:12 am
Yes, it is mounted correctly.  I was thinking backwards. 

All the I-rings get stiff after a while.  I always check them all and replace as needed.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 10:14:38 pm
The case seal is another matter!

When I needed a new timing cover gasket,  CMA sent me a tube of sealer. No gasket needed. Get some Permatex Black Gasket Maker. it will work fine, probably than the gasket. Follow the instructions, though, and be careful around some oil passages. They don't like to be clogged.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 10:17:58 pm
+1 After having just done the 10K service and popped the right side case off.  I used the paper gasket but next time I'd use Permatex.  It's a big floppy gasket to keep in place while you get it all together, kind of a pain.

Scott