Author Topic: Small oil filter o ring  (Read 6893 times)

AwL

• Scooter
on: September 18, 2012, 05:07:54 am
When i changed oil first time on used 2009 G5 the small o ring was missing.  Is there a definitive opinion on whether or not the small o ring is necessary?  This bike has the 2 bolt oil filter cover.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:53:56 pm
Necessity of the small o-ring for the filter is definitely debatable.  I wasn't sure so I just put one in anyway.  Probably not needed.   :-\
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 10:24:52 pm
According to the Parts List there are three O-rings that I feel are vital to the filter area.

There are two thick, large O-rings (#29) that go on either end of the filter cartridge.
These seal the ends of the filter to prevent the oil from bypassing the filter.

There is one thin, large O-ring (#35) that goes in the groove on the cover.  This is the primary seal for the filter cap.
There is a paper flat gasket that also seals the cover but I consider it to be a secondary seal as usually these flat gaskets under pressure do a poor job of sealing.
The flat gasket could be there to lower the spring pressure to lower the point where the pressure relief valve opens and if so, that's a good reason to leave it in place.

The other smaller O-ring (#34) is shown going between the spring for the pressure relief valve plate (#31) and the oil filter cap (#37).
This appears to act as a buffer between the spring and the aluminum cap, probably intended to prevent the hardened steel spring from wearing a hole thru the aluminum cap.

If your motorcycle is equipped with the self contained filter cap and pressure relief valve assembly, you would never know this O-ring was there under normal servicing.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 11:46:22 pm
That little one on the shaft attached to the oil filter cover is to keep oil from flowing between the spring plate and the shaft it rides on, bypassing the filter.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 05:45:28 pm
I have just received word from one owner in India who had an engine failure due to a failed O-ring. This was a seizure which destroyed the piston and bent the con rod, and also wrecked the head. Apparently multiple failure points.

The email is not fully detailed, but reads as follows:
"Hi Tom, I have been able to complete the engine rebuild at RE service centre.  The understanding I received for seizure is that oil was not cirulating. It was flowing back and not going through the oil filter due to a faulty o ring. This resulted oil flowing back into the sump."

I don't have the info on exactly which o-ring this was, but I would say that if you have opportunity to check any/all o-rings involved in the oil system during periodic maintenance, it might be a good idea.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 06:30:48 am
Very strange.
If a UCE engine isn't getting oil downstream of the oil filter the hydraulic lifters should collapse causing a hell of a racket.

If the person was on a Iron Barrel or AVL there probably wouldn't be much of a warning.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:37:33 am
This is a critical o-ring and should be serviced or at least inspected each oil change. This is one reason that it is good to use a dealer or at least know what you are doing when you service your own bike. The RE is designed for simple service and to be within the capabilities of the average human being, but you still have to know what you are looking at.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 10:40:45 am
Does someone have any images to illustrate where all these o-rings go?  A parts diagram would help, but they don't always give a good idea where things actually go.

When I bought my bike, I asked the "sales" dealer to provide a couple of spare oil filters and whatever o-rings are needed for the filters.  He delivered only one o-ring for each filter, and it turns out they didn't match *any* of the sizes that came out of the engine at the first filter change.  They appeared to be close in diameter to the o-ring that seats on the filter cover, but they were too thick to fit in the cover's groove.

The dealer who did the actual first oil change didn't have any Enfield filters or o-rings... or oil, for that matter.  All the old o-rings were reused.  Happily, I had brought one of my filters with me...   >:(

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 10:59:36 am
I just bought a complete set of rings from Hitchcocks due to the fact I'll be popping off the side of the case this winter to change out the front sprocket. My goal is to hit my local parts store (who has an amazing supply of industrial o rings) and match them up for spares. Beats waiting a half a month for O rings! The case seal is another matter!

sparklow

• Bulleteer
  • Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing ...
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:19 pm
My 2011 B5 has the three screw type oil filter cap. I did not find (or maybe notice) a small o ring with setup. Is a small o ring that is user changeable used with this newer type cap?
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 05:43:07 pm
The smallest oring is part of the three bolt cap assembly that comes off the remove the oil filter.  If you remove the small Allen bolt there will be two plates and a spring that come off.  The small oring is sandwiched between the two plates and rides on the center column the bolt came out of.  If you don't disassemble it you may never notice it. 

Also, the oil filter cap can be removed without changing the oil.  Just put the bike on its side stand and let it sit for a while, all the oil will drain into the engine and you can remove and reinstall the cap with just the slightest dribble of oil.

Scott

sparklow

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 06:17:25 pm
Thanks, good info. Might be a good idea to check on the condition of that small o ring now and then, but it certainly doesn't sound like it will need to replaced often.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 10:03:35 pm
Does someone have any images to illustrate where all these o-rings go?  A parts diagram would help, but they don't always give a good idea where things actually go.

Have a look at this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0IW8JVS_I
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

sparklow

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 12:29:54 am
Video of your oil change on the G5 is very good however the oil filter cover on my bike is the three bolt type, a bit different. I didn't see a place to remove and replace the small o ring when doing an oil change on my 2011 B5.
2022 Meteor Fireball Red
2011 B5 Bullet

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 09:43:14 pm
So I took a pic while I was doing an oil change.  You've got the bolt, the large gold washer, the tiny o-ring, and the small silver washer.  All of this sits on top of the spring and bolts to the oil filter cap.

Hmmmm...  I think that gold washer is supposed to sit with the ridge pointing in to help center the o-ring.  Guess I'm heading down to the garage again.... ;)

Scott
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:45:20 pm by Ducati Scotty »