Author Topic: Why a C5 for first and only motorcycle?  (Read 2447 times)

jaczor

• Scooter
on: September 18, 2012, 02:01:20 am
  Hi, my name is Jose, I've never owned a motorcycle and I'm considering a RE C5, I know there are already topics on this subject but I think what I'm about to address hasn't been covered yet.

Ok, I live in Spain, the new law states that I must first have what's called an "A2" license for two years before getting the full "A" license, this means that my first bike can't have more than 47hp, I can buy a bike with a more powerful engine and limit it to 47hp as long as the unlimited output is less than 94hp.

Now, I really don’t want to get a 250cc “learner” bike because I feel that I will outgrow it quickly and also because none of the really appeal to me, so I’ve basically narrowed it down to three bikes that cost about the same:

-Kawasaki ER-6n (Ninja 650 without the fairing), limited to 47hp, unlimited it has about 70hp.
-BMW g650gs, it has 47hp out of the box.
-Royal Enfield C5 (UCE only).

So, most of my friends would call me crazy for even considering the RE, the Kawasaki and the BMW are modern bikes, make decent power, have a much better reputation for reliability, etc. they seem to be the logical choice.

But I don’t find it so easy to rule the RE out. Ilove classic bikes, my dream bike is a Triumph Bonneville and I’ve been in love with the RE ever since I first knew they existed.

But the RE is a tough sell for the part of me that thinks logically, mainly because of three reasons:

-Price: it ranges from 6.000 to 7.000 euros, which is in the same range as the other two, yet the RE makes less tan 30hp, is basically a 50 year old design and it’s made in India by cheap labor under questionable quality control, why is it so expensive? Am I missing something?

-Reliability: this would be my daily driver to get to work and drive around in the city, can I count on it to work every time like I’m sure that the other two will? Will the chrome start to rust and the paint start to peel after two years? I also don’t have a garage or tools to do maintenance work constantly.

-Power: I’ve read a lot about people saying that this bike is not meant for highways, is expecting to travel at say, 70mph, unreasonable? Because I also see a lot of people who go out on roadtrips on their REs, are they crazy or maybe it isn’t as bad a some people say?

So, what’s your take on this, why did you choose a RE as your only bike? Am I insane if I choose a RE over a 70hp japanese bike with ABS for the same Price?

Sorry about the loooong first post, but I have a lot of information on my mind and I can’t seem to even come close to making a decision, maybe you guys can help me out.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:20:32 pm by jaczor »

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:46:20 am
I bought a Royal Enfield because it has style and class.  Even if you park next to a much more expensive Triumph/Ducati/Harley etc it is the Enfield that people come over and ask questions about.

I think the reason for this is the Royal Enfields exemplify what the romance of motorcycles is all about. With a few exceptions (like the Kawasaki W850) most modern bikes are targeted to a special "niche" market such as the pocket-rocket-manga-styled-Japanese-boy-racers or mid-life-crisis-Harley/fake-Harley-cruisers. The Enfield just is what it is.

As far as reliability, general rideability and highway cruising ability are concerned, the newer UCE fuel injected Enfields are totally different bikes to the older romantic but unreliable iron barreled bikes. The new models are much lower maintenance and more highway capable.

If you are buying a C5 and intend to cruise at highway speeds get the newer model with 19" front wheel and revised forks as you will be avoiding any potential high speed wobble issues the older C5s sometimes suffered from.

Brad-C5

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:33:55 am
Well, it's not my first or my only bike, (it's my 13th and 1 of 2 that I have now) but my older brother is considering one for his first bike.  I'd rather he start on something used that he can drop, but if he is dead set on it, I think it's not a bad choice.
1.) "Standard" riding position.  I think it's good to learn on a bike with a setup like this rather than a forward controlled cruiser or a crotch rocket.
2.) 27.5 HP.  Will help you stay out of trouble.  Not a guarantee, but still something to consider
3.) Here, we have a dealer (3rd generation shop) close by, so service should not be an issue.

Just my $0.02.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:29:05 am
Although they are not intrinsically unreliable, Enfields do tend to require a bit of fiddling. But they are incredibly easy to work on as everything is easy to get to. Don't expect to do your own maintenance on any level on modern bikes. Consequently maintaining a modern bike will be far more expensive to maintain than an Enfield. You can learn as you go with the Enfield. the Enfield will get better mileage keeping its operating costs down, too. BUt the bottom line is even if you can't maintain it yourself, it will still be cheaper to maintain than the modern bikes. There isn't that much to maintain! If you take care of the paint and finish, it will not rust out in two years. Keep it clean and spray some ACP 50 (an anticorrosion protection spray) on it every few months, it will maintain a nice finish for years. You will love the bike. It is so unique looking and riding, that people will always be asking you about it. If anyone gives you flak about it, Just tell them if they have to ask, they'll never understand. As far as performance, it is quite capable in city traffic and will maintain a reasonable speed on the highways. Just don't tangle with the guys in the fast lanes, you lose.
Bare
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:06:12 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:26:29 am
Others have covered most of the points. But I will cover one.

Am I insane if I choose a RE over a 70hp japanese bike with ABS for the same Price?

Maybe  ;D I'm 20 and I chose RE. My first motorbike. I love it. It can go up to highway speeds with no problems. UCE engines are very reliable as compared to the previous engines. But still you will get your hands dirty once in a while. So, if you don't mind that - go ahead and buy it. You will love it.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

jaczor

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:20:04 pm
  Thanks for the replies guys! I should clarify that I'm only considering the RE that come with the UCE due to it's improved reliability.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 01:17:39 pm
The truth is that the decision to by a Royal Enfield uses different reasons than people use to buy other brands of bikes.
Obviously, people don't buy Royal Enfields because of high power output. They buy them for the aesthetics and riding position and heritage of a "retro/vintage" style machine.
It's a completely different kind of decision. It's for people who want a bike with class and charm for traditional motorcyling, and aren't visualizing themselves as Valentino Rossi on the latest MotoGP bike.

It can tour at the 70mph speed you mention, but most would say it is more comfortable at 60-65mph.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 02:08:39 pm
You buy an Enfield for what it is and what it gives you, not because of how it compares to other bikes on paper.

Ride 'em all and see what speaks to you.  You might also be better off trying a cheap starter bike to determine your preferences before investing in the One Bike to Rule Them All.  And if you know the Triumph is what you really want, don't settle for the Enfield.  To many, an Enfield is not settling.  If you really want the Triumph, it is.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:10:46 pm by AgentX »

jaczor

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:15:09 pm
  To me, the RE wouldn't be really be settling compared to the Triumph, the RE seems to be perfect for a first bike, something that the Triumph isn't, I think it's too heavy and too expensive for me right now. The RE also has all the heritage and history, and that's something that appeals to me and probably the reason why I'm still considering it.

I will get a Triumph down the road, but it will be when I have enough experience and enough money to not have to compromise on a base Bonneville, instead of getting exactly the one I want, in the case of the RE, I'd be able to buy the one I like the most.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 06:19:33 pm
Jac, there is a geezer on one of the forums (and I can't think which t the mo) who lives in the north of Spain. I believe he is an English ex-pat with a B&B. He also does motorcycle tours where you can hire bikes from him. He looked at all the bikes and came to the conclusion that the Enfield is an ideal bike out there, especially up in the mountains.

Price? They're hand built.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 07:17:12 pm
I will get a Triumph down the road, but it will be when I have enough experience and enough money to not have to compromise on a base Bonneville, instead of getting exactly the one I want, in the case of the RE, I'd be able to buy the one I like the most.

Hang on to the RE when you buy the Triumph. You may be surprised by the one you like the best. I sold a Triumph to get the RE. I'm not sorry! The only thing you'll gain is speed at the expense of a lot worse gas mileage and higher maintenance prices.
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 01:37:53 am
I usually state the obvious,so here it is---as already said,ride all the other bikes you are considering.Only way to make an informed decision.

REdmonton

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 04:42:52 am
You have chosen some interesting bikes to decide between. A street fighter, a dual sport adventure bike and a classic bike. Of course the opinions you get here may be a little biased.

I chose a C5 as my first and only bike. It is my daily commuter and it works great for that. I've also taken my to the mountains and on trips on highways around my home. I haven't had any problems with it at all. If you want to meet people then the Enfield is the choice for you. People will roll down their windows to talk to you at red lights and traffic jams and pull up beside you to take pictures of you and your bike while they are driving.

One nice thing about Enfields is that you do have a some options as far as customizing it. If you want you can turn it into a cafe racer, a bobber, an adventure touring bike which you can't do with the other bikes in your list.

fritz1914

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 02:52:59 am
Jose,i have a c5 as my only bike.it has over 16,000 miles the only real problem Ive had is a flat tire. i recommend the c5,even more important i recommend you speak at length to the dealer,have him shoe you how to adjust the chain go over all the fluids,cables,etc.buy a manual learn to do as many repairs as you can.you will love this bike and want to pass it on to your grandchildren...yes,its a keeper!

jaczor

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 03:48:58 pm
  Well guys, you've given me a lot to think about, I will definitely have to ride all of them to make a good decision, but that'll have to wait a few weeks until I get my license, hehe.

Thanks for your opinions, and if I decide to go with the C5 you will be seeing a lot more of me on these forums  :D .

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 08:07:31 pm
Now that we have ascertained that there are a LOT of 125 Hondas, We will now return to our regular show. ;)
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer