Author Topic: Idling wild, and bogs opening throttle  (Read 12422 times)

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 09:30:24 pm
Boggy,

Good job!  We all know now what goes in that grove because of your persistent detective work!  Thanks, and get that carburetor back on your bike and go riding!   ;)  :)

Royal Enfield people are good people!

Cheers,
Bill     

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 04:33:50 am
If you want to do away with the set screw to make the flange mounting stress free and permanent you could J-B weld it on the carb spigot if the two fit reasonably close.

Don't laugh. J-B weld is completely fuel proof.
The float bowl on my Iron barrel is coated with the stuff inside and out.

I was gonna suggest metal epoxy when I saw that cracked flange... but I figured I'd get boo'd outta here.  I've used it quite a bit and it's great stuff, sometimes works even better than doing it the "right" way, IMO.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:54 pm
In hind site, LarsBloodbeard, I would have just tried JB Welding the crack in the Flange. I'd have been riding for a month now and I bet it'd have gotten me through the season.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 10:11:42 pm
Update - The new Flange has made zero difference in the problem.  Not better, not worse. Exactly the same. 

Fuel lines are clean. Air and fuel filter are clean. Float bowl height is spot on.  I'm completely at a loss.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:50:40 am by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 12:40:41 am
Boggy,

Have you checked and cleaned your bike's breather hoses and catch can?  If they are clogged your engine will not run good at all.  Just a thought.

Cheers,
Bill

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 01:49:48 am
No I haven't, Bill.  I'll have to run through that this weekend and see if it's clogged up.  Thanks for the idea.  I haven't been through the breather hoses and catch can before.  I did overfill with oil in early Summer and spit quite a bit out.  Maybe things are all gummed up.

I'm curious too if a slight exhaust leak could cause this too.

I'll do some forum searches, but any tips on going through the breather + can are appreciated.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:08:32 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 01:18:27 am
Boggy,

Just remove all breather hoses and the catch can from the bike, use some diesel fuel or solvent on a rag and clean out the catch can and hoses.  You can use a coat hanger to push the solvent soaked rag through the hoses.  Then put everything back on the motorcycle.

I don't think a slight exhaust leak would cause your motorcycle engine to run bad. 

I would also recheck that "O" ring on the carburetor flange.  It comes out really easy when mounting the carb and if it's out, just a little bit, you'll get an air leak and the engine will run poorly just like you described.     

Cheers,
Bill 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:54:56 am by Bill Harris »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 05:44:52 pm
The breather hose that goes to the carb, disconnect it and just cap off the carb spigot. You can remove all that stuff now. Run a breather hose from the crankcase up under the seat and to the rear of the bike. Put a filter or duckbill on it if you wish. Just one less potential problem with the bike.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 06:43:16 pm
I would also recheck that "O" ring on the carburetor flange.  It comes out really easy when mounting the carb and if it's out, just a little bit, you'll get an air leak and the engine will run poorly just like you described.

The guys at JRC told me to use either the little black o-ring gasket that sits IN the flange OR the regular style gasket that sits flush between the flange and the engine.  I tried the regular style gasket. Maybe I should try the little o-ring one.  Or both. What do you recommend using on the regular gasket to ensure a good seal? All purpose grease?

The breather hose that goes to the carb, disconnect it and just cap off the carb spigot.

Hmm, the only hose that goes into my carb is the fuel line.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

LarsBloodbeard

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 06:47:39 pm
Hmm, the only hose that goes into my carb is the fuel line.
It probably goes to the airbox.

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:24 pm
Boggy,

The breather hoses that go from the top of the oil tank just in back of your engine cylinder to the catch can under the seat and from the catch can to the back of the timing chest (the big bump just in front of where you add engine oil).  These two hoses and the catch can need to be cleaned every once in awhile, especially in cold damp weather.  The hose that goes from the oil tank to the catch can is the worst offender.

I use the gasket and the "O" ring.  Without the "O" ring mine will suck air and run just terrible.  Use grease only on the "O" ring to keep it in place, in the grove, when installing the carburetor to the cylinder head.

If these don't work to make your bike run better, maybe it's time for your Royal Enfield motorcycle shop to take a look.  It's good to support your local motorcycle shop. 

Royal Enfield motorcycle shop people are good people.  The good people at Vince's Motorcycle Store in Lacey, Washington work on my motorcycle.  ;)

Cheers,
Bill                   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:57:45 pm by Bill Harris »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 03, 2012, 09:24:31 pm
Have you checked and cleaned your bike's breather hoses and catch can?  If they are clogged your engine will not run good at all.  Just a thought.

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks for that suggestion Bill.  The hose coming from the can was crimped.  Check out the picture.  That's enough to keep things from running.  I cut of an inch and it idled steady when it kicked over.

Funny thing was I was bogging out on throttle really bad.  Drained the float again and was going to take the carb off again and the main jet fell out.  I fiddled with that carb so much and must have not have screwed it in well.  Back in, back on and things were finally back to normal.  Great, great feeling to crack that throttle open.

Thanks very much Bill, and everyone for the help.  Thank you for sticking with me on this one.  It was a frustrating challenge but I've learned one more thing about keeping things running.  We'll see how many high 30 low 40 degree commutes home I can take before I have to surrender to Winter.

Boggy
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:26:52 pm by boggy »
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: November 04, 2012, 12:52:22 am
Boggy,

Good job.  Glad your bike is back to normal and running proper.  Life is good and all is right with the world!  :)

Cheers,
Bill

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 04, 2012, 10:49:31 pm
It is.  90 minute test ride today and all is good.  I've always noticed that 50 degree temps seem to agree with this bike.  Really great to be back on two wheels.  Thanks.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 05, 2012, 07:19:32 pm
Glad it worked out for you. There is no better feeling than a sorted out bullet.
Your probably have it jetted slightly rich, about right for the 50 degree weather.