Author Topic: Idling wild, and bogs opening throttle  (Read 12435 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:27 pm
Cracked flange.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 10:32:49 pm
Glad you sorted it out.  What would make it crack like that?  Its just a spacer, it is not under pressure?  Maybe its just vibration?
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 01:03:47 am
boggy,

Email JRC Engineering at:  jrcengineering@aol.com

They may be able to help you get a new flange adapter for your PWK carburetor.

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:20:11 am by Bill Harris »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 02:18:55 am
Not sure, TWin.  I've had that carb off so many time perhaps it got knocked around at some point.  2nd hand too so who knows.

Thanks Bill.  I called Tim at NField gear and he is checking into JRC for me. 

Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 09:39:29 pm
boggy,

How is your quest for a new PWK carburetor flange going?

Royal Enfield people are good people.

Cheers,
Bill

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:45 pm
Hey Bill, thanks for asking.

NField gear has an order in through JRC. Its been a few weeks though and I suspect it'll be a few weeks more. Its a short season in New England so being out a month on the tail end of ridable weather is a huge bummer. I probably could have cut out the middle man but I thought I'd give NField the business.

It's tough when a small piece of metal prevents you from riding but that's moto-life. Part of the reason I purchased a DRZ this Spring so Id have that second option but some scum bag thief had other ideas for my summer.

Ill post an update as soon as the metal comes in. Until then, take a spin for me.

Thanks again,
Boggy.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 07:39:21 pm
It does not look beyond repair either.

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 04:28:28 pm
Hey Bill, thanks for asking.

NField gear has an order in through JRC. Its been a few weeks though and I suspect it'll be a few weeks more. Its a short season in New England so being out a month on the tail end of ridable weather is a huge bummer. I probably could have cut out the middle man but I thought I'd give NField the business.

It's tough when a small piece of metal prevents you from riding but that's moto-life. Part of the reason I purchased a DRZ this Spring so Id have that second option but some scum bag thief had other ideas for my summer.

Ill post an update as soon as the metal comes in. Until then, take a spin for me.

Thanks again,
Boggy.

Boggy,

You know I will.  I ride all year long and in all weather.

It's good to give nfieldgear our support and business.  Hope you get your part soon and I hope that thief's karma has got him good too.

Cheers,
Bill
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:22:34 am by Bill Harris »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 05:36:42 pm
Unfortunately, after all that waiting I did not receive everything I needed.  There is a ring that goes around the carb that the flange sits over.  The old one was trashed. 

Rather than wait another month for a piece of rubber, does anyone have any suggestions?  Here's a pic of where it should go. Thanks.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 04:40:18 am
Boggy,

I've never had the flange adapter off my PWK carburetor, so I don't know what goes in that grove.  Could it be an "O" ring or gasoline proof sealant of some type?  Perhaps you could ask nfieldgear what goes in there and if they don't know, ask JRC Engineering.  Maybe It's something you can get at your local auto parts store.  Good luck and I hope it won't take so long this time.

Cheers,
Bill     

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 07:44:31 am
Brother boggy,

Can CMW send you the right O-ring ASAP ?

How thick is the flange ? How snug is the fit of the new flange on the carb spigot ?

If you want to do away with the set screw to make the flange mounting stress free and permanent you could J-B weld it on the carb spigot if the two fit reasonably close.

Don't laugh. J-B weld is completely fuel proof.
The float bowl on my Iron barrel is coated with the stuff inside and out.

The flange on the Evo CV carb for my shovel head is J-B welded like that. ( a common update for shovel heads twenty years ago)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 09:39:40 pm
Bill, I have calls into both NField and JRC, but I doubt NField has it in stock. If JRC does, I'll definitely have to get it sent direct.

Ice, the fit is so tight I now know how the last one cracked.  I'm not sure it's even going to go on.  It'll need "persuasion" for sure.  I think my next step would be to raise the white flag on this now VERY expensive PWK carb and go with a Mikuni.  Should have done it last year when NFIeld had them on sale and saved myself probably 2 months of riding + a all the cash trying to tune it and keep it attached!  The parts are cheap but the shipping and time lost has added up.  Ahh, the cost of education.

Thanks guys.  Hoping for a warm November.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 09:59:52 pm
Boggy,

What size are you getting?  Mikuni is a good carburetor.  Let us know how you like it and the jetting you use?  Good luck and have fun with your project.  :-)

Royal Enfield people are good people.

Cheers,
Bill

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 10:03:23 pm
Ace uses the 32mm for his Fireballs and spoke favorably of them.  I think I'd try that.  I might even start with his settings which I do have saved somewhere.  The idea of tuning another carb is a bit stressful after finally getting mine dialed in but something I could tackle in the Spring.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 08:59:14 pm
Don't laugh. J-B weld is completely fuel proof.

Ice, I'm officially not laughing...  The word from JRC engineering is that they use JB Weld in that groove. I must have mistook the old JB Weld for a destroyed gasket.

So that's great news.  Tim at NField gear was super helpful as usual and the guys at JRC were extremely responsive via email.  Never used JB Weld before but I'm hoping to be back on the road shortly!  That will be a good feeling. 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM