Author Topic: Idling wild, and bogs opening throttle  (Read 12420 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #45 on: November 05, 2012, 09:47:42 pm
Yup. Definitely.  I got that PWK to run well, but a little rich.  Trying to tune out that last bit of richness meant tipping the scales to not running well.  Maybe a slightly lower (or higher? Can't recall which way) main jet would do it.  Plugs get black. Not terribly sooty, but black.  Exhaust opening has quite a bit of black stuff on there too.  But like I said, when I try to tune out that last little bit I end up not running well.

I think most folks with these PWKs have mentioned running a bit rich. 

And yah, a great feeling for sure.  Thanks.

*Hope you are doing ok in NYC with all the Hurricane madness.  What a mess.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: November 05, 2012, 10:12:15 pm
I moved from NYC a few years ago. I would love to go back there again at some point . That city has 'Life'. There is no other way to explain it. You have to be there to know it. I have some family and friends back in the NYC area. They are all doing well. I have not heard back from Chumma but I hope he is doing well too.

Most driving is done on the needle/needle jet combination. If it is running well now I would not bother wtih it. There is only so much more you can get out of it...but come summer trying leaning the needle one notch . The main jet is best left a little rich.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #47 on: November 05, 2012, 10:36:26 pm
I spent months last year tuning the carb - That is why I was so thrown off by this issue but beyond relief that it wasn't the carb.

I have my current needle in the leanest spot and I have the next leanest needle size. I tried swapping it but it felt better with the richer one in the leanest spot.

Boy those PWKs are not easy to tune.  The whole carb needs to come off.  For the needle you CAN get away with removing the tank and unscrewing the top. For the main jet you CAN get away with draining the float and using the drain hole to access the jet.  Really you need to remove the whole kit to properly get at everything. 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM