Author Topic: Help (its me again with new numbers)  (Read 3204 times)

ronbball33

• Scooter
on: September 14, 2012, 03:35:22 pm
Thanks to all of you who posted help for me!!! The 56 my father had under his garage is coming closer to being identified!! I found these numbers on the front of the crankcase (after some cleaning) They are as follows: W5 4686 then below are these: HDK 560. Thanks so much for your help!!! Ron

Sandgroper

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:10:46 pm
Ron,
It might be better in future to keep to the original thread, I think, rather than starting a separate posting. Not to worry, though.
The W5 number is also an engine number - you will find the explanations about early Enfield twin numbering given by Grabof54 (the REOC chairman) about a dozen or so threads down the page, interesting and helpful, I think. There are three threads to read, the second one is of particular interest in your case:
Royal Enfield & Indian twin engine identification
Clarification More on Royal Enfield twin engine numbers
Further notes on Royal Enfield twin engine numbers

The HDK number is the number of the original gearbox supplied with the engine, and should therefore be found on the top right of the gearbox. The HDKxxx series is correct for the '55/56 period. All you need now is the frame number, which should be stamped on the left side (looking forwards) of the steering head, i.e. ahead of the tank fixing bolt.

ronbball33

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 08:06:15 pm
Couldn't make that number out last night, will try this afternoon. It seems very worn for some reason. Thanks for the help, I'll reply with the number Monday. I want to buy a manual for the bike first then I can be sure of year, model etc... when purchasing. I'll get pics as soon as I can, it's really in good shape, engine turns good and all I see that I need so far is new handlebar, air-filter assy, and tailpipes!  Thanks again!

ronbball33

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 03:41:56 pm
The number stamped on the right,(sitting on bike) above the tank bolt is 4750, on the other side, same place, is the same as what is on the left crankcase, 5T 4794.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:12:46 pm
So then the frame # and engine # are the same?   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ronbball33

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:56:07 pm
Yes, that's what we want isn't it?

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:58:00 pm
All the ones I have, the frame # is different from the engine #. Maybe somebody years ago stamped the engine # on the frame. The 4750 # on the right side should be a raised casting # which most came with the same #.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Sandgroper

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 01:25:55 pm
One of my Tomahawks has matching numbers. Remember what the REOC chairman Grabof54/Graham Scarth wrote in one of his notes about twin numbering:
Please note that there is no correlation between the front engine number stamped at Greenland Mills and the one on the side stamped at Redditch to "pair" it to the frame.

Graham also tells us that:
All of these engines with a "true" number on the front were paired to frames at Redditch by having the frame number stamped at the top of the left hand crankcase just below the cylinder joint.
So, the frame number on your bike has also been stamped on the left of the crankcase, nothing unusual about that. It's something that was done at the factory, but not always.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 03:01:49 pm
I think to find out exactly what you have you could try and email Grahm at grahm.scarth01@gmail.com with all the #s and see if he can tell you the exact year and model.   ERC

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:02:21 pm
The cast numbers are casting numbers and have no relevance on serial numbers. It's a part number for the factory.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com