Author Topic: Diode Hook-UP Spot  (Read 16593 times)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 11:52:43 am
I'm wondering if your new trafficator LED units are making proper contact in their sockets .......
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 01:00:52 pm
Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned, or is stupid, but...

Is it possible that the polarity of the LED bulbs is "backwards"?  When I researched these lights for my BMW, some owners of those bikes had that problem.  The LED "bulbs" they bought required positive voltage to the base housing, and ground to the isolated point in the base - opposite of what most light fixtures supply, yes?

Bulletman, you said you tested the LED lights and they worked - did you test them mounted in the signal housings somehow?  As we know, incandescents don't care about polarity, but LEDs definitely do!  Do you need to somehow switch your hot and ground wires leading to your LEDs?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 03:14:50 pm

It is definitely *NOT* stupid, or, unimportant.

If Bulletman ended up with positive ground lamp units on his negative ground bike - they would exhibit the reported symptoms !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 04:00:26 pm
replacement of the indicator with an LED will be inconsequential to the rest of the circuitry. (OEM or otherwise)

I'm wondering if your new trafficator LED units are making proper contact in their sockets .......
Just 10 minutes ago I rechecked the process. this time i only put the LEDS on the right side and on the left side the original bulbs, the right side did not light up and the indicator lit up and did not flash (the LEDs are firmly seated in the socket which has a spring to seat it  tightly, it's a solid contact both at the bottom and the side where the wire makes contact with the inside socket).
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 04:02:42 pm

Is it possible that the polarity of the LED bulbs is "backwards"?  When I researched these lights for my BMW, some owners of those bikes had that problem.  The LED "bulbs" they bought required positive voltage to the base housing, and ground to the isolated point in the base - opposite of what most light fixtures supply, yes?

Bulletman, you said you tested the LED lights and they worked - did you test them mounted in the signal housings somehow?  As we know, incandescents don't care about polarity, but LEDs definitely do!  Do you need to somehow switch your hot and ground wires leading to your LEDs?
Mattz, it's a good question,  I have changed all my other bulbs to LEDs over a month ago, and did not have a polarity issue.
With that, I mean and I am assuming that the ground will be common throughout the whole wiring system because the indicator led bulb does light up, along with the other led,s That i have installed.
All the same I will attempt to check the led in the trafficator Socket by trying to reverse the wires and see if that works. I haven't figured how to do that yet without undoing the setup or screwing things up. I'm working on it, though.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:58:31 pm by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 06:21:10 pm
Mattz, it's a good question,  I have changed all my other bulbs to LEDs over a month ago, and did not have a polarity issue.
With that, I mean and I am assuming that the ground will be common throughout the whole wiring system because the indicator led bulb does light up, along with the other led,s That i have installed.
All the same I will attempt to check the led in the trafficator Socket by trying to reverse the wires and see if that works. I haven't figured how to do that yet without undoing the setup or screwing things up. I'm working on it, though.
@Mattz
@Gremlin
Thank you for Sticking this one Out.
Ok, guys  :) what has been a frustrating  ;D conundrum has finally been resolved. YES the polarity of the Wiring is backwards in the Trafficator Sockets, (once i reversed the wire to the LED it instantly lit up ) obviously this does not matter with the OEM incandescent bulbs but matter with LED BULBS.  :(
I rechecked everything and now the indicator light flashes as well Although very rapidly. The Led Flasher should resolve that :)

NOW. would anyone have any suggestions on HOW  ??? Would I reverse this polarity on the wiring system WITHOUT having to go to each of the 4 Sockets, cutting the wires and reversing the order.
Seems there must be a easier way.
Cheers.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 06:48:58 pm
Take a look at reversing the wires at the flasher.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 07:09:16 pm
Take a look at reversing the wires at the flasher.
Bare
Bare,
My Flasher has 2 wires One is Red with White Stripe and the Other wire is white. Would I need to then connect the Red with white stripe wire,  to the White wire and vice versa?
Only reason I ask is I want to make sure I am following the instructions to the "T".
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 10:31:16 pm
When I installed my all metal bullet turn signals I found that the harness wiring was correct but the short leads that ran from the harness to the individual lights was reversed.
That is, the "common" wire was hot and the "hot" wire was the ground.

I ended up cutting and switching the wires at each signal using the little plastic "wire nuts" available at the local hardware store.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51:56 pm
When I installed my all metal bullet turn signals I found that the harness wiring was correct but the short leads that ran from the harness to the individual lights was reversed.
That is, the "common" wire was hot and the "hot" wire was the ground.

I ended up cutting and switching the wires at each signal using the little plastic "wire nuts" available at the local hardware store.
Thank you Arizoni. Its really weird how they wired up the setup ???
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:56 am
.................My Flasher has 2 wires One is Red with White Stripe and the Other wire is white. Would I need to then connect the Red with white stripe wire,  to the White wire and vice versa? ...........

do *NOT* modify.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 03:30:35 am
do *NOT* modify.
Hi Gremlin,
I did *NOT* modify.
I finally received the LED flasher in the mail, Installed the same and I am gratefully up and running.

Here is how it went.

1. Purchase the Led bulbs, LED Flasher and the DIODE KIT.

2. Install Diode kit   ;D (Many THANKS to GREMLIN )  ;D

3. Install LED's, make sure they illuminate and work in the trafficator sockets. (if the LEDS illuminate, You are set.  NOTE: Your LED's will Blink Rapidly, that's OK, The LED Flasher you ordered will remedy that Rapid flashing issue) If they DO NOT THEN   ::)

4. Reverse the polarity of the Individual Wires inside the Trafficators by reversing the wires. ( THANK YOU  MATTSZ, GREMLIN & ARIZONI )

5. Check that all the bulbs work (The OEM Bulbs will also work as they are not sensitive/subject to the polarity change).  :o

6. Install the LED Flasher and you are good to go.

All the above and the flasher unit I used are all from www.superbrightleds.com

Model: CF-12ANL-01 (2 Pin Black American Flasher) $12.95 (One Unit)
Model: MDK-1: Motorcycle Diode Kit $2.29 ( only one needed)
Model: 15-LED BA15S Bulb - 67-A: Amber $4.95 Each (you will need 4)
Thank You one and all for all the help.  :)
Cheers
Mark  8)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:02:30 pm by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 11:51:11 am
Bulletman - thank you for doing all the work and head-scratching!  Now when I want to make that mod, I'll know just what to do...  ;)

BTW, how do these compare to the stock incandescents?  How much brighter, if at all (hard to quantify, I know), and how well do they show from the side?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:29:59 pm by mattsz »

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 07:12:25 pm
Bulletman - thank you for doing all the work and head-scratching!  Now when I want to make that mod, I'll know just what to do...  ;)

BTW, how do these compare to the stock incandescents?  How much brighter, if at all (hard to quantify, I know), and how well do they show from the side?
Hi Matsz,
You are welcome, it was a challenging project in that, whoever took it up seemed to have given up at some point or another, but here perseverance paid of finally.  :)
The Led's are about 15% brighter in that they illuminate differently than the OEM bulbs (the incandescent kind). The illumination is like a  HeNe laser light (Not Beam) which puts out a globed kind of dotted light in turn making it more visible ( at least I think so. I work with Lasers for a Living  8) )
The Led's have 15 small illumination points in a circle and the color is also AMBER so it helps in the output of the color which helps in the visibility.
The more important reason for the LED's are the electrical Current Draw and that they will last for pretty much forever, as well the concern for a replacement while on the road is diminished by 99%.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 07:14:47 pm
Should anyone be interested here is a coupon code for superbrightleds.com
it takes off 5% from your total order. Hey every penny counts  ;D
Code: RE701
I am not affiliated in any way with superbrightleds.com.
if any of you do this project please post your experience.
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011