Author Topic: Diode Hook-UP Spot  (Read 16589 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 10:08:54 pm
Good Luck, let us know how things turn out for you.

I'd recommend checking the health of your new LED lamps since your stock lamps work normally.  I would think they should light-up in unison with the indicator.
My Thoughts Exactly, I wondered about that, so I checked/Tested the 4 Led's individually and they all worked  ??? Dont know why they didnt work on the bike :-\

Now its a matter of waiting for the LED Flasher to arrive from superbrightleds.com. hopefully early next week.
Next project ... will receive the K&N filter vis UPS today, so im looking to install that and see how it works out.

@Scotty
Yeah a good sense of Humor  :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 09:21:37 am

The original wiring uses a "sneak" current arrangement to illuminate the turn signal indicator.   the small lamp in the speedo lights up, and, the "other side" turn signal bulbs provide the path to ground.

example:

you turn on the right turn signal.
right turn signal power is applied to the right side of the indicator bulb
current flows through the indicator bulb and into the left turn trafficator bulbs.
(since the indicator lamp is an order of magnatude smaller than the trafficator bulbs it glows brightly while the trafficator bulbs do not reach their illumination point.)

Left turns operate the left side circuitry, and apply power to the left side of the indicator bulb, while the right side lamps provide the ground return.
Gremlin,
Do you think that the trafficator LEDs did not light up or do anything  ( after i installed the diode correctly ) because the indicator Lamp in the speedo is a LED lamp and not the original incandescent lamp that it came with ? ( About a month ago I had swapped out the old incandescent bulbs for LEDS).
I am also still waiting for the LED flasher to arrive.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 05:51:58 pm
replacement of the indicator with an LED will be inconsequential to the rest of the circuitry. (OEM or otherwise)

I'm wondering if your new trafficator LED units are making proper contact in their sockets .......

Just to verify ...... 

1.  You have installed the diodes, the original trafficator bulbs, and everything appears to function nominally.

2. You swap out the trafficator bulbs with new LED replacements and they do not light up.  Also, the indicator does light up - but does not flash.

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 11:28:43 pm
replacement of the indicator with an LED will be inconsequential to the rest of the circuitry. (OEM or otherwise)

I'm wondering if your new trafficator LED units are making proper contact in their sockets .......

Just to verify ...... 

1.  You have installed the diodes, the original trafficator bulbs, and everything appears to function nominally.

2. You swap out the trafficator bulbs with new LED replacements and they do not light up.  Also, the indicator does light up - but does not flash.
1. Installed Diode Correctly, all the original incandescent bulbs work, blink correctly and the indicator also lights up and blinks as normal.
2. Once the LEDs are put in, ( i have tested and checked that the LED,s work once again ) they do "NOTHING", just dead.
BUT the Indicator light does light up  and NO it does not flash. :-\

Just 10 minutes ago I rechecked the process. this time i only put the LEDS on the right side and on the left side the original bulbs, the right side did not light up and the indicator lit up and did not flash (the LEDs are firmly seated in the socket which has a spring to seat it  tightly, it's a solid contact both at the bottom and the side where the wire makes contact with the inside socket).

The left side worked fine and the indicator also blinked as normal  ???
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 12:02:23 am
Well, there is an easy fix.

talk your local electronic hobbiest out of an 8 ohm 20 watt resistor.  mount that resistor between the output of the flasher and ground.

The purpose is to replace the load of the trafficator bulbs.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 12:05:12 am
As Sargent Schultz used to say, "I Know Nothing!", but it sounds like the turn signal relay doesn't recognize the high resistance of the LED's so it's not providing enough power to light them.
It is weird that it is providing enough power to light up the indicator light but not enough to light the other two LED bulbs in the circuit.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 12:18:21 am
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:55 am

talk your local electronic hobbiest out of an 8 ohm 20 watt resistor.  mount that resistor between the output of the flasher and ground.

Thank you, I'm going to keep trying. Will this resistor work ? The link is posted below.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062288
 :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 12:48:34 am
+1
Gremlin, please, if possible draw me a diagram that would show me how to make this resistor and flasher connection  ???
My flasher has 2 wires one is RED&WHITE and the Other one is WHITE. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:56:03 am by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 01:16:13 am
More important than the wiring is the actual mounting of such a heating element.

You cannot mount it in the headlight housing.  too much localized heat.

It needs to be out where it can get good air circulation.  If you have a B5 that would be somewhere behind the square sidecover on the bike's right side.

Another important fact ......   I believe it will work to replace the need for a special flasher, however, I *do not* think it will make any difference to your LEDs that are failing to illuminate.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 01:24:51 am
While the subject of Radio Shack and turn signals is still floating around, I'll mention, "Do not bother buying the little white 1/2" X 1/2" X 1" long Beeper.
It doesn't make enough noise to be heard over the sound of a healthy big single idling.

I bought one and it was such a feeble little "beep" I didn't even try to hook it up to the bikes turn signals.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:25 am
More important than the wiring is the actual mounting of such a heating element.

You cannot mount it in the headlight housing.  too much localized heat.

It needs to be out where it can get good air circulation.  If you have a B5 that would be somewhere behind the square sidecover on the bike's right side.

Another important fact ......   I believe it will work to replace the need for a special flasher, however, I *do not* think it will make any difference to your LEDs that are failing to illuminate.
I have a C5 2011, my flasher is in the triangular box below the seat, there is ample room and seems like adequate air circulation.
But if it does not resolve the led,s lighting up issue, then I guess it would not be needed as I do have a led flasher on the way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:33:36 am by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 02:31:55 am

Gremlin,
For backup purposes, I got the resistor, it only cost 3 bucks.  :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 02:56:00 am
Bulletman,
Autozone and virtually all auto shops have LED flasher units for $10-12. Take the unit from your C5 and pick one that has exactly the same connector configuration, and you will find that it will snap into your RE socket and work perfectly with the incandescents. The LED bulbs will require the diodes to prevent faint flashing of the opposite side lights. You will not need to add the resistor if you have the LED flasher.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 05:47:13 am
Bulletman,
Autozone and virtually all auto shops have LED flasher units for $10-12. Take the unit from your C5 and pick one that has exactly the same connector configuration, and you will find that it will snap into your RE socket and work perfectly with the incandescents. The LED bulbs will require the diodes to prevent faint flashing of the opposite side lights. You will not need to add the resistor if you have the LED flasher.

GSS
I'm waiting for my led flasher from superbrightleds, hopefully tomorrow. The problem currently being faced is why do the LEDs not light up even though the diode has been installed?  I am assuming that nothing will work at all with the LEDS unless the led flasher is installed. So thats where we are kinda stuck at. Because with the diode installed everything works fine with the current OEM setup, and not when the LEDs are plugged in. :-\
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011