Author Topic: Diode Hook-UP Spot  (Read 16586 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
on: September 12, 2012, 08:08:23 pm
Just purchased 4 LED Bulbs from superbrightleds.com (should receive them in a few days) these are for the 4 Trafficator Lights.
The LEDS for the trafficators are "67-A15 Amber" (http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/15-led-ba15s-bulb/169/).

To go along with this is the Motorcycle Diode Kit "MDK-1" also from superbrightleds.com.

Please look at the link below. (at the bottom of the page/Link are the simple instructions)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/motorcycle-diode-kit/1190/2805/

It seems easy enough to install. The only ? is where do I actually install the diode?
Would it be at where the turn signal switch is ? and is that complicated  :-\ or can and should I tap in somewhere along the wiring to do the install of the Diode ? If so where approximately is that sweet  ;D spot ???
Where is the GROUND?  Is it a specific spot on the bike? maybe its a small Screw somewhere? I want to do a good job and don't want to mess this up, I'm not very good with electrical and electronic stuff,  :(  but I do take instructions well ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:57:01 pm
I got the same kit from a different manufacturer. I am waiting to learn to solder before installing this. Mine came with written instructions and will post it here later today.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:07:01 pm
Sorry,  this has to be done inside the nacelle.

the way *I* would do this is:

1.  remove the speedometer assembly
2.  modify the wiring between the connector and the display unit.
specifically:

cut the black with white stripe wire, connect anode side of diode to connector side of wire, connect cathode side of diode to display wire.

cut the black with green stripe wire, connect the anode side of diode number 2 to connector side of wire.

cut the black wire.  reconnect the black wire along with the remaining black with green wire end.

reinstall the speedometer, and, you should be good to go !

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:16:35 pm
Sorry,  this has to be done inside the nacelle.

the way *I* would do this is:

1.  remove the speedometer assembly
2.  modify the wiring between the connector and the display unit.
specifically:

cut the black with white stripe wire, connect anode side of diode to connector side of wire, connect cathode side of diode to display wire.

cut the black with green stripe wire, connect the anode side of diode number 2 to connector side of wire.

cut the black wire.  reconnect the black wire along with the remaining black with green wire end.

reinstall the speedometer, and, you should be good to go !
Thanks Gremlin, Which is the Anode side and which is the Cathode side?. I am assuming one is probably longer than the other. Do I need 2 of these Diode Units?. I only ordered ONE.
Damn I knew this was not going to be easy  :(
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:23:39 pm by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:17:35 pm
I got the same kit from a different manufacturer. I am waiting to learn to solder before installing this. Mine came with written instructions and will post it here later today.
Thanks Thump, Hopefully this will be easy  :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:05:34 am
Thanks Gremlin, Which is the Anode side and which is the Cathode side?. I am assuming one is probably longer than the other. Do I need 2 of these Diode Units?. I only ordered ONE.
Damn I knew this was not going to be easy  :(

It's not difficult.

the single kit you ordered is all you need.  The webpage shows 2 diodes already connected together at their cathodes.   
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 05:01:07 am
When it comes to electrical symbols, I know just enough to be dangerous.

Looking at the diagram in the link seems to show me that there are 2 diodes.
Each diode has a red wire attached to the anode end, one of which goes to the right turn signals power supply and the other red wire going to the left turn signals power supply.

The single black wire goes to the indicator bulb center terminal (power supply) wire.

I'm not sure why all of this should be necessary because all that is really being done is to have the incandescent light bulbs replaced with a much lower wattage LED bulb.

I know that the existing RE flasher is made to operate with the high wattage incandescent bulbs (2 @ 10 watts each) and the tiny amount of current used by the LED's is not enough to trigger the flasher.

It seems to me that I've read of a flasher that does not depend on the amount of current being drawn thru it and this type of flasher is all that is needed to make the LED's work.

Maybe I've heard wrong and maybe there is not any flasher unit that will plug into the RE's harness (3rd prong at 90 degrees from the other two) but if I were doing this, the first place I would go is to an auto parts store with my RE flasher in my hand.
Once there I would say, "I'm replacing the bulbs in my turn signals with LED bulbs.  Do you have a flasher like this that will work with my new bulbs?"

If they did have a suitable replacement I would let my new diode wire thing "die old" in the back of my junk drawer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:08:10 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36:34 am
I agree, it seems like it would be easier to change a plug out if you had to.  Flasher units made for LED turn signals can be found at any motorcycle accessory shops.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 06:20:48 am
Arizoni and Jartist, I agree that it definitely seems that swapping the RE Flasher Unit for a flasher unit that would work with the LED's would be the best thing to do.  :)
Where exactly is this Unit  ??? and how would I get access to the same? I am assuming this would be easily accessible and easy to Disconnect and work with.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:03 am
I have a g5 but your flasher unit is probably in your left toolbox. With the box open and the trafficator blinking you might be able to hear or feel the relay click to know it's the right little black box.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 02:00:23 pm
.......................I'm not sure why all of this should be necessary because all that is really being done is to have the incandescent light bulbs replaced with a much lower wattage LED bulb................

The original wiring uses a "sneak" current arrangement to illuminate the turn signal indicator.   the small lamp in the speedo lights up, and, the "other side" turn signal bulbs provide the path to ground.

example:

you turn on the right turn signal.
right turn signal power is applied to the right side of the indicator bulb
current flows through the indicator bulb and into the left turn trafficator bulbs.
(since the indicator lamp is an order of magnatude smaller than the trafficator bulbs it glows brightly while the trafficator bulbs do not reach their illumination point.)

Left turns operate the left side circuitry, and apply power to the left side of the indicator bulb, while the right side lamps provide the ground return.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 04:16:35 pm
Hmm... time for me to break out the old schematic.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:17:53 pm
Hmm... time for me to break out the old schematic.

this is how the factory wired it up ......

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 05:09:41 pm
Gremlin - it doesn't get any clearer than that!!!

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:41 pm
this is how the factory wired it up ......
Gremlin,  seems like I will have 2 projects/issues at hand.  (1)This would mean that even though I hooked up the diode kit, (2) I would still need a LED Compatible FLASHER, because the low current draw from the led's would tell the factory flasher that the bulbs were blown, this would then make them flash at the higher speed. At least this is what my simple unwired mind is telling me  ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011