Author Topic: Diode Hook-UP Spot  (Read 16596 times)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
on: September 12, 2012, 08:08:23 pm
Just purchased 4 LED Bulbs from superbrightleds.com (should receive them in a few days) these are for the 4 Trafficator Lights.
The LEDS for the trafficators are "67-A15 Amber" (http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/15-led-ba15s-bulb/169/).

To go along with this is the Motorcycle Diode Kit "MDK-1" also from superbrightleds.com.

Please look at the link below. (at the bottom of the page/Link are the simple instructions)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/motorcycle-diode-kit/1190/2805/

It seems easy enough to install. The only ? is where do I actually install the diode?
Would it be at where the turn signal switch is ? and is that complicated  :-\ or can and should I tap in somewhere along the wiring to do the install of the Diode ? If so where approximately is that sweet  ;D spot ???
Where is the GROUND?  Is it a specific spot on the bike? maybe its a small Screw somewhere? I want to do a good job and don't want to mess this up, I'm not very good with electrical and electronic stuff,  :(  but I do take instructions well ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 08:57:01 pm
I got the same kit from a different manufacturer. I am waiting to learn to solder before installing this. Mine came with written instructions and will post it here later today.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:07:01 pm
Sorry,  this has to be done inside the nacelle.

the way *I* would do this is:

1.  remove the speedometer assembly
2.  modify the wiring between the connector and the display unit.
specifically:

cut the black with white stripe wire, connect anode side of diode to connector side of wire, connect cathode side of diode to display wire.

cut the black with green stripe wire, connect the anode side of diode number 2 to connector side of wire.

cut the black wire.  reconnect the black wire along with the remaining black with green wire end.

reinstall the speedometer, and, you should be good to go !

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:16:35 pm
Sorry,  this has to be done inside the nacelle.

the way *I* would do this is:

1.  remove the speedometer assembly
2.  modify the wiring between the connector and the display unit.
specifically:

cut the black with white stripe wire, connect anode side of diode to connector side of wire, connect cathode side of diode to display wire.

cut the black with green stripe wire, connect the anode side of diode number 2 to connector side of wire.

cut the black wire.  reconnect the black wire along with the remaining black with green wire end.

reinstall the speedometer, and, you should be good to go !
Thanks Gremlin, Which is the Anode side and which is the Cathode side?. I am assuming one is probably longer than the other. Do I need 2 of these Diode Units?. I only ordered ONE.
Damn I knew this was not going to be easy  :(
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:23:39 pm by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:17:35 pm
I got the same kit from a different manufacturer. I am waiting to learn to solder before installing this. Mine came with written instructions and will post it here later today.
Thanks Thump, Hopefully this will be easy  :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:05:34 am
Thanks Gremlin, Which is the Anode side and which is the Cathode side?. I am assuming one is probably longer than the other. Do I need 2 of these Diode Units?. I only ordered ONE.
Damn I knew this was not going to be easy  :(

It's not difficult.

the single kit you ordered is all you need.  The webpage shows 2 diodes already connected together at their cathodes.   
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 05:01:07 am
When it comes to electrical symbols, I know just enough to be dangerous.

Looking at the diagram in the link seems to show me that there are 2 diodes.
Each diode has a red wire attached to the anode end, one of which goes to the right turn signals power supply and the other red wire going to the left turn signals power supply.

The single black wire goes to the indicator bulb center terminal (power supply) wire.

I'm not sure why all of this should be necessary because all that is really being done is to have the incandescent light bulbs replaced with a much lower wattage LED bulb.

I know that the existing RE flasher is made to operate with the high wattage incandescent bulbs (2 @ 10 watts each) and the tiny amount of current used by the LED's is not enough to trigger the flasher.

It seems to me that I've read of a flasher that does not depend on the amount of current being drawn thru it and this type of flasher is all that is needed to make the LED's work.

Maybe I've heard wrong and maybe there is not any flasher unit that will plug into the RE's harness (3rd prong at 90 degrees from the other two) but if I were doing this, the first place I would go is to an auto parts store with my RE flasher in my hand.
Once there I would say, "I'm replacing the bulbs in my turn signals with LED bulbs.  Do you have a flasher like this that will work with my new bulbs?"

If they did have a suitable replacement I would let my new diode wire thing "die old" in the back of my junk drawer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:08:10 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36:34 am
I agree, it seems like it would be easier to change a plug out if you had to.  Flasher units made for LED turn signals can be found at any motorcycle accessory shops.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 06:20:48 am
Arizoni and Jartist, I agree that it definitely seems that swapping the RE Flasher Unit for a flasher unit that would work with the LED's would be the best thing to do.  :)
Where exactly is this Unit  ??? and how would I get access to the same? I am assuming this would be easily accessible and easy to Disconnect and work with.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:03 am
I have a g5 but your flasher unit is probably in your left toolbox. With the box open and the trafficator blinking you might be able to hear or feel the relay click to know it's the right little black box.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 02:00:23 pm
.......................I'm not sure why all of this should be necessary because all that is really being done is to have the incandescent light bulbs replaced with a much lower wattage LED bulb................

The original wiring uses a "sneak" current arrangement to illuminate the turn signal indicator.   the small lamp in the speedo lights up, and, the "other side" turn signal bulbs provide the path to ground.

example:

you turn on the right turn signal.
right turn signal power is applied to the right side of the indicator bulb
current flows through the indicator bulb and into the left turn trafficator bulbs.
(since the indicator lamp is an order of magnatude smaller than the trafficator bulbs it glows brightly while the trafficator bulbs do not reach their illumination point.)

Left turns operate the left side circuitry, and apply power to the left side of the indicator bulb, while the right side lamps provide the ground return.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 04:16:35 pm
Hmm... time for me to break out the old schematic.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:17:53 pm
Hmm... time for me to break out the old schematic.

this is how the factory wired it up ......

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 05:09:41 pm
Gremlin - it doesn't get any clearer than that!!!

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:41 pm
this is how the factory wired it up ......
Gremlin,  seems like I will have 2 projects/issues at hand.  (1)This would mean that even though I hooked up the diode kit, (2) I would still need a LED Compatible FLASHER, because the low current draw from the led's would tell the factory flasher that the bulbs were blown, this would then make them flash at the higher speed. At least this is what my simple unwired mind is telling me  ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 06:02:07 pm
I knew I left the regular bulbs in the turn signals for a good reason!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 10:13:26 pm
+1
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 05:51:29 am
Would anyone know where the "Flasher" unit for the turn signals might be on a C5 2011 bike?
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 05:53:09 am
I have a g5 but your flasher unit is probably in your left toolbox. With the box open and the trafficator blinking you might be able to hear or feel the relay click to know it's the right little black box.
I could not locate the unit, also I tried really ard to hear/ feel the relay clck, but nothing.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:41 pm
I know they are different but the G5 locates the turn signal relay in the left hand triangular side box.  There are three little black plastic boxes in there and the signal relay is the only one with three wires connected to it.  The terminals are two in line and one at 90 degrees to the other two.
This unit is a solid state device that does not make a clicking sound when it is in operation.

Again, knowing it doesn't apply to the C5, in the left hand hot dog container are three larger plastic relays.  I mention this because the smaller size of the turn signal unit is one of the things to look for.  That and the three wire connection.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 12:32:38 am
I know they are different but the G5 locates the turn signal relay in the left hand triangular side box.  There are three little black plastic boxes in there and the signal relay is the only one with three wires connected to it.  The terminals are two in line and one at 90 degrees to the other two.
This unit is a solid state device that does not make a clicking sound when it is in operation.

Again, knowing it doesn't apply to the C5, in the left hand hot dog container are three larger plastic relays.  I mention this because the smaller size of the turn signal unit is one of the things to look for.  That and the three wire connection.
Thank you Arizoni, I just found it in the Trangular box which also holds the fuses and electronics, now I can order the flasher. I still have to install the diode unit I got.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 07:28:49 pm
It's not difficult.

the single kit you ordered is all you need.  The webpage shows 2 diodes already connected together at their cathodes.
Hi Gremlin, I tried your suggestion, by wiring it at the Nacelle and triple checked my work. The problem I am facing is that when I wire it up per instructions, only the left side works but blinks very rapidly ( i am sure adding an LED flasher shoud resolve the rapid flashing ). BUT the right side does not work at all. I'm wondering if there are any other connections or wiring that we might be missing?  ???
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 12:27:36 am
Hmmm.....   the black wire  (ground)  should also have the black with green stripe from the indicator lamp (speedo side).  The other side of the black with green stripe from the connector should be connected to the diode.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 01:45:12 am
Hmmm.....   the black wire  (ground)  should also have the black with green stripe from the indicator lamp (speedo side).  The other side of the black with green stripe from the connector should be connected to the diode.
Since the wires are cut, I am going to  re- try it again, this time I will take some pics, I am sure we are missing something, it could very well be me. Either way I don't give up that easy so I will try again and post progress. Thanks
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 02:10:58 am
OK, so here is what it should look like post-modification......
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 02:18:21 am
one more diagram .......  this is the wiring modification.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 05:24:12 pm
one more diagram .......  this is the wiring modification.
Thanks Gremlin, both your drawings are EXACTLY   :)  as I see them in the nacell area, and I wired it the same way.  ???, I just may have made a mistake  :-\ and I will try and do this again today or if busy do it this weekend, I hope this resolves the issue.
Cheers. Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 04:11:48 pm
 Ok Gremlin, I did the wiring again and this time it worked [suspicious][/suspicious], I obviously did it wrong  :-[ the previous attempts ???.
Now the STOCK lights work fine. When I installed the LED,s nothing happened, Nothing turned on whatsoever, nothing blinked or nothing was light up or nothing was dim-solid either, Zero activity, the Only thing on was the indicator light which was glowing a Solid green.
Well at least the Stock lights worked. NOW, I am waiting for the LED flasher unit to arrive, I am hoping and assuming that when this is installed all should be well and hopefully this Led install situation will have been resolved.  ;)
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 08:31:39 pm
Good Luck, let us know how things turn out for you.

I'd recommend checking the health of your new LED lamps since your stock lamps work normally.  I would think they should light-up in unison with the indicator.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 10:02:48 pm

That's funny :)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 10:08:54 pm

I'd recommend checking the health of your new LED lamps since your stock lamps work normally.  I would think they should light-up in unison with the indicator.
My Thoughts Exactly, I wondered about that, so I checked/Tested the 4 Led's individually and they all worked  ??? Dont know why they didnt work on the bike :-\

Now its a matter of waiting for the LED Flasher to arrive from superbrightleds.com. hopefully early next week.
Next project ... will receive the K&N filter vis UPS today, so im looking to install that and see how it works out.

@Scotty
Yeah a good sense of Humor  :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 09:21:37 am

The original wiring uses a "sneak" current arrangement to illuminate the turn signal indicator.   the small lamp in the speedo lights up, and, the "other side" turn signal bulbs provide the path to ground.

example:

you turn on the right turn signal.
right turn signal power is applied to the right side of the indicator bulb
current flows through the indicator bulb and into the left turn trafficator bulbs.
(since the indicator lamp is an order of magnatude smaller than the trafficator bulbs it glows brightly while the trafficator bulbs do not reach their illumination point.)

Left turns operate the left side circuitry, and apply power to the left side of the indicator bulb, while the right side lamps provide the ground return.
Gremlin,
Do you think that the trafficator LEDs did not light up or do anything  ( after i installed the diode correctly ) because the indicator Lamp in the speedo is a LED lamp and not the original incandescent lamp that it came with ? ( About a month ago I had swapped out the old incandescent bulbs for LEDS).
I am also still waiting for the LED flasher to arrive.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 05:51:58 pm
replacement of the indicator with an LED will be inconsequential to the rest of the circuitry. (OEM or otherwise)

I'm wondering if your new trafficator LED units are making proper contact in their sockets .......

Just to verify ...... 

1.  You have installed the diodes, the original trafficator bulbs, and everything appears to function nominally.

2. You swap out the trafficator bulbs with new LED replacements and they do not light up.  Also, the indicator does light up - but does not flash.

1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 11:28:43 pm
replacement of the indicator with an LED will be inconsequential to the rest of the circuitry. (OEM or otherwise)

I'm wondering if your new trafficator LED units are making proper contact in their sockets .......

Just to verify ...... 

1.  You have installed the diodes, the original trafficator bulbs, and everything appears to function nominally.

2. You swap out the trafficator bulbs with new LED replacements and they do not light up.  Also, the indicator does light up - but does not flash.
1. Installed Diode Correctly, all the original incandescent bulbs work, blink correctly and the indicator also lights up and blinks as normal.
2. Once the LEDs are put in, ( i have tested and checked that the LED,s work once again ) they do "NOTHING", just dead.
BUT the Indicator light does light up  and NO it does not flash. :-\

Just 10 minutes ago I rechecked the process. this time i only put the LEDS on the right side and on the left side the original bulbs, the right side did not light up and the indicator lit up and did not flash (the LEDs are firmly seated in the socket which has a spring to seat it  tightly, it's a solid contact both at the bottom and the side where the wire makes contact with the inside socket).

The left side worked fine and the indicator also blinked as normal  ???
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 12:02:23 am
Well, there is an easy fix.

talk your local electronic hobbiest out of an 8 ohm 20 watt resistor.  mount that resistor between the output of the flasher and ground.

The purpose is to replace the load of the trafficator bulbs.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 12:05:12 am
As Sargent Schultz used to say, "I Know Nothing!", but it sounds like the turn signal relay doesn't recognize the high resistance of the LED's so it's not providing enough power to light them.
It is weird that it is providing enough power to light up the indicator light but not enough to light the other two LED bulbs in the circuit.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 12:18:21 am
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:55 am

talk your local electronic hobbiest out of an 8 ohm 20 watt resistor.  mount that resistor between the output of the flasher and ground.

Thank you, I'm going to keep trying. Will this resistor work ? The link is posted below.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062288
 :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 12:48:34 am
+1
Gremlin, please, if possible draw me a diagram that would show me how to make this resistor and flasher connection  ???
My flasher has 2 wires one is RED&WHITE and the Other one is WHITE. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:56:03 am by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 01:16:13 am
More important than the wiring is the actual mounting of such a heating element.

You cannot mount it in the headlight housing.  too much localized heat.

It needs to be out where it can get good air circulation.  If you have a B5 that would be somewhere behind the square sidecover on the bike's right side.

Another important fact ......   I believe it will work to replace the need for a special flasher, however, I *do not* think it will make any difference to your LEDs that are failing to illuminate.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: September 24, 2012, 01:24:51 am
While the subject of Radio Shack and turn signals is still floating around, I'll mention, "Do not bother buying the little white 1/2" X 1/2" X 1" long Beeper.
It doesn't make enough noise to be heard over the sound of a healthy big single idling.

I bought one and it was such a feeble little "beep" I didn't even try to hook it up to the bikes turn signals.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: September 24, 2012, 01:30:25 am
More important than the wiring is the actual mounting of such a heating element.

You cannot mount it in the headlight housing.  too much localized heat.

It needs to be out where it can get good air circulation.  If you have a B5 that would be somewhere behind the square sidecover on the bike's right side.

Another important fact ......   I believe it will work to replace the need for a special flasher, however, I *do not* think it will make any difference to your LEDs that are failing to illuminate.
I have a C5 2011, my flasher is in the triangular box below the seat, there is ample room and seems like adequate air circulation.
But if it does not resolve the led,s lighting up issue, then I guess it would not be needed as I do have a led flasher on the way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 01:33:36 am by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 02:31:55 am

Gremlin,
For backup purposes, I got the resistor, it only cost 3 bucks.  :)
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 02:56:00 am
Bulletman,
Autozone and virtually all auto shops have LED flasher units for $10-12. Take the unit from your C5 and pick one that has exactly the same connector configuration, and you will find that it will snap into your RE socket and work perfectly with the incandescents. The LED bulbs will require the diodes to prevent faint flashing of the opposite side lights. You will not need to add the resistor if you have the LED flasher.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 05:47:13 am
Bulletman,
Autozone and virtually all auto shops have LED flasher units for $10-12. Take the unit from your C5 and pick one that has exactly the same connector configuration, and you will find that it will snap into your RE socket and work perfectly with the incandescents. The LED bulbs will require the diodes to prevent faint flashing of the opposite side lights. You will not need to add the resistor if you have the LED flasher.

GSS
I'm waiting for my led flasher from superbrightleds, hopefully tomorrow. The problem currently being faced is why do the LEDs not light up even though the diode has been installed?  I am assuming that nothing will work at all with the LEDS unless the led flasher is installed. So thats where we are kinda stuck at. Because with the diode installed everything works fine with the current OEM setup, and not when the LEDs are plugged in. :-\
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 11:52:43 am
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 01:00:52 pm
Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned, or is stupid, but...

Is it possible that the polarity of the LED bulbs is "backwards"?  When I researched these lights for my BMW, some owners of those bikes had that problem.  The LED "bulbs" they bought required positive voltage to the base housing, and ground to the isolated point in the base - opposite of what most light fixtures supply, yes?

Bulletman, you said you tested the LED lights and they worked - did you test them mounted in the signal housings somehow?  As we know, incandescents don't care about polarity, but LEDs definitely do!  Do you need to somehow switch your hot and ground wires leading to your LEDs?

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 03:14:50 pm

It is definitely *NOT* stupid, or, unimportant.

If Bulletman ended up with positive ground lamp units on his negative ground bike - they would exhibit the reported symptoms !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 04:00:26 pm

Just 10 minutes ago I rechecked the process. this time i only put the LEDS on the right side and on the left side the original bulbs, the right side did not light up and the indicator lit up and did not flash (the LEDs are firmly seated in the socket which has a spring to seat it  tightly, it's a solid contact both at the bottom and the side where the wire makes contact with the inside socket).
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 04:02:42 pm

Is it possible that the polarity of the LED bulbs is "backwards"?  When I researched these lights for my BMW, some owners of those bikes had that problem.  The LED "bulbs" they bought required positive voltage to the base housing, and ground to the isolated point in the base - opposite of what most light fixtures supply, yes?

Bulletman, you said you tested the LED lights and they worked - did you test them mounted in the signal housings somehow?  As we know, incandescents don't care about polarity, but LEDs definitely do!  Do you need to somehow switch your hot and ground wires leading to your LEDs?
Mattz, it's a good question,  I have changed all my other bulbs to LEDs over a month ago, and did not have a polarity issue.
With that, I mean and I am assuming that the ground will be common throughout the whole wiring system because the indicator led bulb does light up, along with the other led,s That i have installed.
All the same I will attempt to check the led in the trafficator Socket by trying to reverse the wires and see if that works. I haven't figured how to do that yet without undoing the setup or screwing things up. I'm working on it, though.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:58:31 pm by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 06:21:10 pm
Mattz, it's a good question,  I have changed all my other bulbs to LEDs over a month ago, and did not have a polarity issue.
With that, I mean and I am assuming that the ground will be common throughout the whole wiring system because the indicator led bulb does light up, along with the other led,s That i have installed.
All the same I will attempt to check the led in the trafficator Socket by trying to reverse the wires and see if that works. I haven't figured how to do that yet without undoing the setup or screwing things up. I'm working on it, though.
@Mattz
@Gremlin
Thank you for Sticking this one Out.
Ok, guys  :) what has been a frustrating  ;D conundrum has finally been resolved. YES the polarity of the Wiring is backwards in the Trafficator Sockets, (once i reversed the wire to the LED it instantly lit up ) obviously this does not matter with the OEM incandescent bulbs but matter with LED BULBS.  :(
I rechecked everything and now the indicator light flashes as well Although very rapidly. The Led Flasher should resolve that :)

NOW. would anyone have any suggestions on HOW  ??? Would I reverse this polarity on the wiring system WITHOUT having to go to each of the 4 Sockets, cutting the wires and reversing the order.
Seems there must be a easier way.
Cheers.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: September 24, 2012, 06:48:58 pm
Take a look at reversing the wires at the flasher.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: September 24, 2012, 07:09:16 pm
Take a look at reversing the wires at the flasher.
Bare
Bare,
My Flasher has 2 wires One is Red with White Stripe and the Other wire is white. Would I need to then connect the Red with white stripe wire,  to the White wire and vice versa?
Only reason I ask is I want to make sure I am following the instructions to the "T".
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: September 24, 2012, 10:31:16 pm
When I installed my all metal bullet turn signals I found that the harness wiring was correct but the short leads that ran from the harness to the individual lights was reversed.
That is, the "common" wire was hot and the "hot" wire was the ground.

I ended up cutting and switching the wires at each signal using the little plastic "wire nuts" available at the local hardware store.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: September 24, 2012, 11:51:56 pm
When I installed my all metal bullet turn signals I found that the harness wiring was correct but the short leads that ran from the harness to the individual lights was reversed.
That is, the "common" wire was hot and the "hot" wire was the ground.

I ended up cutting and switching the wires at each signal using the little plastic "wire nuts" available at the local hardware store.
Thank you Arizoni. Its really weird how they wired up the setup ???
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:56 am
.................My Flasher has 2 wires One is Red with White Stripe and the Other wire is white. Would I need to then connect the Red with white stripe wire,  to the White wire and vice versa? ...........

do *NOT* modify.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 03:30:35 am
do *NOT* modify.
Hi Gremlin,
I did *NOT* modify.
I finally received the LED flasher in the mail, Installed the same and I am gratefully up and running.

Here is how it went.

1. Purchase the Led bulbs, LED Flasher and the DIODE KIT.

2. Install Diode kit   ;D (Many THANKS to GREMLIN )  ;D

3. Install LED's, make sure they illuminate and work in the trafficator sockets. (if the LEDS illuminate, You are set.  NOTE: Your LED's will Blink Rapidly, that's OK, The LED Flasher you ordered will remedy that Rapid flashing issue) If they DO NOT THEN   ::)

4. Reverse the polarity of the Individual Wires inside the Trafficators by reversing the wires. ( THANK YOU  MATTSZ, GREMLIN & ARIZONI )

5. Check that all the bulbs work (The OEM Bulbs will also work as they are not sensitive/subject to the polarity change).  :o

6. Install the LED Flasher and you are good to go.

All the above and the flasher unit I used are all from www.superbrightleds.com

Model: CF-12ANL-01 (2 Pin Black American Flasher) $12.95 (One Unit)
Model: MDK-1: Motorcycle Diode Kit $2.29 ( only one needed)
Model: 15-LED BA15S Bulb - 67-A: Amber $4.95 Each (you will need 4)
Thank You one and all for all the help.  :)
Cheers
Mark  8)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:02:30 pm by Bulletman »
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 11:51:11 am
Bulletman - thank you for doing all the work and head-scratching!  Now when I want to make that mod, I'll know just what to do...  ;)

BTW, how do these compare to the stock incandescents?  How much brighter, if at all (hard to quantify, I know), and how well do they show from the side?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:29:59 pm by mattsz »

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 07:12:25 pm
Bulletman - thank you for doing all the work and head-scratching!  Now when I want to make that mod, I'll know just what to do...  ;)

BTW, how do these compare to the stock incandescents?  How much brighter, if at all (hard to quantify, I know), and how well do they show from the side?
Hi Matsz,
You are welcome, it was a challenging project in that, whoever took it up seemed to have given up at some point or another, but here perseverance paid of finally.  :)
The Led's are about 15% brighter in that they illuminate differently than the OEM bulbs (the incandescent kind). The illumination is like a  HeNe laser light (Not Beam) which puts out a globed kind of dotted light in turn making it more visible ( at least I think so. I work with Lasers for a Living  8) )
The Led's have 15 small illumination points in a circle and the color is also AMBER so it helps in the output of the color which helps in the visibility.
The more important reason for the LED's are the electrical Current Draw and that they will last for pretty much forever, as well the concern for a replacement while on the road is diminished by 99%.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 07:14:47 pm
Should anyone be interested here is a coupon code for superbrightleds.com
it takes off 5% from your total order. Hey every penny counts  ;D
Code: RE701
I am not affiliated in any way with superbrightleds.com.
if any of you do this project please post your experience.
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

benknrobbers

• Scooter
  • Bohica
Reply #60 on: August 21, 2013, 10:35:09 am
Coupon code expired
Always prepare for the worst and your surprises will always be pleasant ones.